PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Copenhagen

shootingstar
06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, yes it's great to have separated bike lanes criss-crossing the city but still cycling here requires same amount of focus and alertness. More volumes of cyclists flowing around means one cannot always cycle abit faster, etc.

And no, locals seldom use bells. Many just cycle closely near you.
Yes of course, many don't wear helmets.

And there is a cycling map. ....but many locals consider it integrated into local transportation system. So it sounds like a strange question at times to them.

Copenhagen is the most expensive city for us on this trip--food-wise. Southern Germany was pleasantly cost-effective, especially if one buys local produce/food.

Biciclista
06-22-2010, 08:40 AM
you're in Copenhagen? Having fun I hope!!

shootingstar
06-23-2010, 10:37 PM
One thing for certain, I'm glad I have my skort to ride around town for casual riding.

It is VERY rare to see cyclists wearing lycra, especially women cycling in the European cyclists who do functional/daily riding. But even for touring, I noticed the European cyclists we met, do not always wear lycra/spandex shorts.

Last night I went to dinner for cycling conference delegates..about 1,000 attendees. Then a few left..at least from our table because they really wanted to see on tv, the World Soccer Cup game between Germany and whichever country.

tulip
06-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks for posting about your trip, Shootingstar. Last time I was in Paris, I was self-conscious about wearing a helmet all the time. But I'm not comfortable not wearing a helmet given my past head injury from a crash.

I would like to go to Copenhagen. I hear it's a city where bicyclists truly are integrated into the transportation system and that they are almost down to ZERO traffic fatalities (cars, peds, bikes). That would be a wonderful thing.

shootingstar
06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
A summary on cycling data and injuries in Denmark:
http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/2010/03/08/cycling-statistics-from-denmark/

Copenhagen is acutely aware of problems on lack of secure bike parking. Maybe you saw it in Paris, but here cyclists often just stand their bikes and place a lock on bike. Then someone knocks over a row/ a group of bikes..and there's a jumble of bikes lying on sidewalk.

I've wondered about their cycling culture...when cycling becomes so integrated/embedded, one's identity then no longer needs to be tied at all as a "cyclist"/ defined as a cyclist or as the "other".

Just rambling abit here.. :o

PamNY
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Very interesting, Shootingstar. I look forward to hearing more.

I have noticed that many tourists do not react to my bell, and I had wondered if bike bells are less common in other countries.

lph
06-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I've wondered about their cycling culture...when cycling becomes so integrated/embedded, one's identity then no longer needs to be tied at all as a "cyclist"/ defined as a cyclist or as the "other".

Yup - Denmark is one of our closest neighbours, yet they have a cycling culture that is nothing like Norway. Part of it is geography - Denmark is flat and open, and they have ROOM to build bike paths all over the place. Norway is hilly and mountainous and everything has to be squeezed in.

I do think that there is very little identity connected to being a cyclist in Denmark, no more than there would be to "being" a pedestrian or a driver or a bus passenger, they're just alternative modes of transport. I think the transport thing is key - I'm sure racers still consider themselves very much "cyclists".

shootingstar
06-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Yup - Denmark is one of our closest neighbours, yet they have a cycling culture that is nothing like Norway. Part of it is geography - Denmark is flat and open, and they have ROOM to build bike paths all over the place. Norway is hilly and mountainous and everything has to be squeezed in.

Just next door to City of Vancouver, are the north Vancouver municipalities. It's been tough to get enough regular cycling advocates to work on better cycling infrastructure. The area sits on primarily mountain slopes,..gradual but enough to turn off newbie cyclists or dreamers. Same area that's known for mountain bikers (world-wide). But cycling doesn't mean just technical riding through forest, rocky slopes, etc. We are hopeful since there will be a signed route crossing the whole north face ...which would be great.

Apparently there were over 10,000 participants in bike to work wk. in Copenhagen. Or more. They do have occasional cycling events for that type of social bonding, whatever.

Drivers and pedestrians seem to be more alert of cyclists in Copenhagen. THere are less drivers honking at cyclists... they just wait for cyclists.

shootingstar
07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
http://therecord.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c465d53ef013484e36bc7970c-pi

Not sure if above link works, but these young gals are fit on their unicycles. They were in Copenhagen bike parade...which we missed out since my partner had a key meeting to participate in.

I'm sure some social circles, would consider the girls too skinny. I think they look normal...like what many teenage girls used to look like 25-40 years ago.

One thing for certain, one does not see people cycling in clipless pedals in Copenhagen..for regular around town cycling.

When I was cycling during a weekday, there was a bunch of 5 teenage girls no more than 16 yrs. old or younger who were all cycling together in the separated bike lane in downtown. They were yaaking away while cycling slowly. They wore ordinary clothing, sandals, etc. One by one they parted from the group by bike.

It's just SO rare to see a bunch of teenage girls casually on bikes, in any North American city, particularily in any downtown city core.

PamNY
07-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Shootingstar, I love that photo. I see a lot of unicycles, but not in groups. Not sure what you mean by "skinny;" they look normal to me.