PDA

View Full Version : Numb, burning toes

Betty Biker
06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi All:
I have a problem that I need to be solved very soon. My toes get numb on my right foot after I ride for about 15 miles. I have clip bicycle shoes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a long ride coming up and I need to get some miles in.
Thanks so much,
Betty Biker

KnottedYet
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Do a search on "hotfoot," up in the search-doodle thingy you get if you click on the word third from the right in the top frame.

There is a wealth of threads on exactly this problem. I don't know how to post the list that comes up, only how to post individual threads. (a bit computer illiterate, but I get by) This is the longest one, and probably a good place to start: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=35077

The general idea is that there is too much pressure in the forefoot, which compresses the nerves and that causes numbness.

Your task is to figure out what is causing the pressure (swelling feet, shoes too tight, pedal contact area, dropped met head, unsupported met "arch", posture, pedalling technique, and so on and on) and there are lots to choose from!

Kiwi Stoker
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I have hot foot issues, mainly with one foot. Tried quite a few solutions (footbeds, switching to carbon soles etc).

The other day I really looked closely at my foot. And realised I had a very large vein on the top going to the part of the foot that always goes numb and painful.

Now I know it is there I can try other things to relieve the pressure on this vein.

So also look at your feet and see if you have a longer toe than the others, veins, bone knobs etc.

softthings
06-22-2010, 03:52 AM
i myself am switching to a mans shoe because i have wide feet and supposedly they have a wider footbed. both of my feet go numb and i never really feel like i have any wiggle room in the shoe unless they feel like they are so loosely closed to the verge of feeling like they are falling off when my foot is flat. hope it helps. good luck with your foot problems! :)

Eden
06-22-2010, 05:16 AM
i myself am switching to a mans shoe because i have wide feet and supposedly they have a wider footbed. both of my feet go numb and i never really feel like i have any wiggle room in the shoe unless they feel like they are so loosely closed to the verge of feeling like they are falling off when my foot is flat. hope it helps. good luck with your foot problems! :)

I highly recommend Specialized shoes for a nice grippy girl sized heel cup, but still plenty of toe room. I switched from Sidis to Specialized and I love, love them. Pretty square toe box on them, so they don't squeeze your toes in.

gnat23
06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
And unlike Eden, I can't seem to do the Specialized shoes and have to stick to SIDIs!

I guess once you find the brand that matches the foot, you hold tight!

-- gnat!

nscrbug
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
One word...NORTHWAVES!!! Seriously...I have tons of foot issues. I tried Specialized shoes...both MTB and road, and both felt too narrow in the toe box. I won't even consider Sidi's...tried a pair on at an expo once, and felt like my foot was being suffocated. On a whim, I decided to order a pair of women's Northwave Velvet SBS cycling shoes and I could not be happier. They have a huge toe box area coupled with a narrower heel...exactly what I was looking for. My cycling toe-numbing problems have all but gone away since I started wearing the Northwaves. I still have toe-numbing issues when I run, but that's for another thread topic.

These (http://www.realcyclist.com/roadbike/Northwave-Bike-Velvet-SBS-Cycling-Shoe-Womens/NTW0033M.html)are the exact shoes that I'm currently wearing.

Linda

GraphikDeziner
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
This is interesting - I've had numb toe issues for a while and recently picked myself up a pair of Northwaves...definitely noticed more breathing room around the toes. But the best advice other riders gave me was to stop clenching my toes while riding.

It's almost a natural thing I do - especially if I am grinding through a big hill - but I try and level out my foot - take the pressure off my toes and pedal with more foot motion - and bada bing - all the numbness and pain is gone.

ef2204
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
It sounds like it might also be your cleat position and how/where your foot makes contact with the pedal. The cleat on your shoe should have the spindle of the pedal right about where your big toe joint is located so the force of pedaling is solidly on your foot and not your toes. good luck!

beccaB
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I also found that the right socks helps- I have less of a problem when I wear smartwool , a footie style with light padding. I think it's one of their running socks.