PDA

View Full Version : Out of the gym and onto the road - Ideas wanted.

MightyMitre
03-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Hey guys - thought I'd pick your brains. My club is full of men - in fact I'm the only woman but a few of the more progressive members, me included would really like to get some more women involved, even if only to stop the Friday night social meeting turning into big beer drinking sessions :p

Has anyone got an good ideas for how we can go about attracting some more women, advertising campaings, introductions session etc.? How can we convince women to get off the exercise bike in the gym and come out for a ride in the fresh air instead?

Ultimately it would be nice to get some women who race, but just girls on bikes would be a good start.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Irulan
03-18-2003, 03:47 PM
women's only sessions.

in my experience a lot of women have negative feelings because they've been "taught" by their men.. meaning demeaned belittled and yelled at for not being fast enough, good enough or having compatible learning styles.

Some (not all) women have a lot of fears to be addresses.

I'm not clear whether you are talking about a bike club or a fitness club. There are a lot of people who spin at my fitness clulb who really have no interest in going outside for real riding.

Irulan

pedalfaster
03-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Hmmm...a couple of seperate issues. I've started two women's cycling groups; here's my $.02:

Recruiting women who actually own and ride bikes: I agree with the idea of the "women's only" ride. Advertise by making fliers and taking them to all of the local bike shops, plus anywhere athletically-minded women congregate (gyms etc.). Post a notice on your club's website. Keep your ride on the same day/place. Consistancy is the key. We have picked up more than a few riders by just having them see us in the same place at the same time. Eventually you can "phase them in" to the regular club rides.

Recruiting "spinners" (women who only ride indoors): a bit more difficult. Many of them don't even own bikes. It helps if you have a few bikes (including a few small sizes) to lend. Offer to take them out for a spin. Make it fun. Pick a scenic, lightly-trafficed loop. Encourage them to come on your "women's ride" (see above).

Recruiting racers: don't forget to have cards or at least a pen/pencil with you at all races. You want to be able to exchange contact info easily with other women who are within a few hours of you for training rides.

I am happy to report that these methods have worked for me. Good luck. :)

IronHorse213
03-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Hi All!

I like the ideas that have been posted so far. Something I've seen folks do is hand out business-sized cards advertising an event - why not a women's club ride?

Ask local gyms if you could post a flyer for an all-women's ride. Post the flyers in local grocery shops (they sometimes have community events boards for that) or colleges, churches or anyplace that have community boards for posting activities.

And don't forget to ask the guys to help beat the drum - see if any of them have riding girlfriends, or sisters, or if they would simply be interested in starting. Can't hurt.

Good luck!
'calla
Iron Horse warrior

IronHorse213
03-19-2003, 05:41 AM
oh yeah - posting flyers with the local bike shops too!
'c

gapgoil
03-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Area websites work too... we have a couple that are used in Ottawa. Am hoping to get alot more girls out this year through them.

MightyMitre
03-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks people - there's some good ideas in there.

I especially like the idea of having some spare bikes women can borrow. When we've talked about trying to attact women before, we put not having a bike as one of the biggest problems.

I was thinking about other sports and how people get started - for example, canoeing . I 'm sure if I wanted to get started in that sport I wouldn't be expected to turn up to my first meeting with a brand new canoe. Buying a new bike is expensive and dauting and having bikes to borrow to get a taste for it is an excellent idea.

I think women only sessions would be good too - in my experience women do much better when they're allowed to progress and gain confidence at their own pace , rather than feeling they have to push themselves before their ready, to keep up with the men.

I'm also going to blitz notice boards at gyms,local shops, etc advertising taster sessions and we'll see what happens. Thanks again - I'll keep you posted.:)