PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Relief Ride - Indianapolis, In (Carmel)

mary9761
09-01-2005, 11:09 AM
This was JUST announced on the Central Indiana Bicycling Association forum site. For anyone interested in riding to help the survivors of Katrina!
Mary

http://www.thebikeline.com/whatsnew/whatsnew_item.asp?list_entry_id=136

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 12:40:22-05

As we are all aware folks in the gulf coast states are in need of help. Hurricane Katrina battered the gulf coast and left folks in dire straights. Currently the call from Red Cross is money. Donations of solid goods at this time will only complicate matters due to the fact the infrastructure to ship, store and distribute said goods, simply, does not exist.

The Bike Line will sponsor a fund raising ride to generate relief funds for the victims of hurricane Katrina. The ride is scheduled for Sunday September 18th starting at 8:00AM at the Carmel store. This ride is for anyone, cycling enthusiat or compassionate human being.

Entry fees will be $20.00 per rider, $30.00 per family. Donations of $100.00 will be rewarded with a water bottle, T-shirt and a free training session by Jody of Body Sculpture by Jody. All of the donations will be given to the relief fund. The Bike Line is requesting all entry fees be paid with cash. This ensure more funds make it to the relief fund versus credit/debit card processing fees.

For more details go to www.thebikeline.com or call the Carmel store at (317)815-1122 or the Broadripple store at (317)253-2611.

John Gleason

mary9761
09-15-2005, 04:51 AM
I've been asked to help keep track of riders in the back third along the way.
I hope that some of you who live nearby can join the ride. I'm taking my digital and I'm going to try to take lots of pictures. I know several others will have theirs as well so I'll post links to photos after the ride.

Some updates on the ride - Latest development in the Katrina ride:
Raffle tickets will be sold for $5 if you choose to purchase. The Bike Line has prepared 49 bags of merchandise donated by various manufacturers that include jerseys, headsweats, socks, etc.

Mangia restaurant will open its doors and provide a brunch following the ride = THANKS MANGIA. If you aren't familiar with the restaurant, it's great and is located right next door to the Bike Line.

Trek420
09-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Here's another a cyclist-oriented fund raising effort for
Katrina. Nothing big, but kinda cool that kids thought to target
cyclists on Old LaHonda.
----------------------
A UNIQUE FUND-RAISER FOR KATRINA VICTIMS takes place this Sunday morning
(the 18th) at the top of Old LaHonda. The kids at Ormandale School
(Portola
Valley) had noticed all the cyclists passing through Old LaHonda &
Skyline and had the thought last January of having a bake sale for the
Tsunami victims.
Chainreaction bikes got a call from one of the mom's who organized that event ($96 raised
from selling cookies to cyclists passing through!) they're going to do a repeat, this time to raise money for Katrina
victims. They'll be out there from 10am-1pm selling cookies
& such to cyclists passing through. And they're all wrapped up & ready
to go, so you can bring 'em with you and munch down the road. A great
excuse for a ride up Old LaHonda on Sunday! Plus, Chain Reaction www.ChainReaction.com will
match whatever they raise.

mary9761
09-16-2005, 12:00 PM
That's pretty cool Trek420! There have been all kinds of things children have put themselves up to doing for fundraising. It lets you know that we are raising at least SOME decent kids.

Trek420
09-16-2005, 08:14 PM
the kids are allright :)

mary9761
09-19-2005, 10:38 AM
http://photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/Katrina%20Relief%2018%20September%202005/
I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my first charity ride Sunday. The day started with the alarm going off at 5AM. I got up fixed me some oatmeal with peanut butter and coffee. I hopped in the shower, got dressed in my new jersey and shorts and went over my checklist to make sure I had everything I needed (or might need) for the ride.
Carole arrived around 6:15 just as I was taking my bike out of the garage. I grabbed the rest of my gear and we loaded the bike into the car. We were on our way with a gorgeous, crisp morning for the relief ride.
We arrived at the Bike Line around 7 and a few people were already there. We got the bikes out of the car and put back together. I thought uh-oh I was going to end up with a seat problem as when I got the seat back on after transport, when I would turn so did the seat. I got it reset and tightened and we were good to go.
Checked in at the Registration table, got my wrist band for the pasta brunch after the first part of the ride and started to do some stretches and visit. I saw Matt coming from across the parking lot since I'd seen his photo in his avatar. I met so many people, I don't remember all their names but it was great to meet everyone.
As it approached time for the ride to start, more and more people arrived. Families with trailers, kids on their bikes, speed demons we were all anticipating the beginning.
Ride time is almost here. Marlin stands up near the shop and gives everyone pre-ride instructions. "When you hear car back, what does that mean?" "SINGLE FILE" With instructions and safety information done we were ready to go.
Traffic was stopped on 116th, Rangeline and Carmel Drive for the mass of bikes at the beginning. I WISH I'd gotten a photo of it. It was an AWESOME site and a feeling I'll never forget. This was my first time being in a ride like this, I know it won't be my LAST.
Shortly after we turn the corner at Carmel Drive, I notice that my computer isn't working. With the transferring back and forth into the car, the sensor had moved out of place. I tried to put it back into place with my foot, (a stupid move I know) but I couldn't get it into position. Carole and I pull to the side and stop for a moment and luckily I get the computer to start by putting the sensor in the right place.
We catch up with a family at a light and it looks like we might catch the main group with the lights, but unfortunately, we don't. We ride along the route enjoying ourselves. We kept up with some of the riders off and on, but were passed by many. Some of the later arrivals however were still behind us when we came back into the Bike Line.
It was about 10:15 - 10:30 when we finished the first leg of the ride and Mangia was only going to serve the pasta brunch till 11 so we decided to get some before heading out for the second leg. The vegetarian pasta was delicious and we were joined by some other riders for a few minutes that had taken the long route the first time out. We finished our pasta and checked the raffle drawings (I won a coolmax skullcap and some chamois buttr) and headed out for the second leg.
We had a great time, but I know my speed dropped about 2/3 of the way through the second ride. I think I was having hydration problems, because when I DID manage to get a drink, I did better. I'm really going to need to work on being able to reach for my drink bottle on the bike. I'm not comfortable reaching down while I'm riding. I can't see the bottle and cage to start with and I'm afraid I'll wreck the bike. I can manage to get a drink periodically from my cooler, reaching around to take a bottle out.
We trekked on and when we got to 146th St. I knew we were in the home stretch. I hadn't had the map out so all I could go by to know we were getting close to the end was my odometer. We hit the monon and headed back to the Bike Line. I was surprised there was no one at the store when we got there. I mean I know we were the last ones back (to my knowledge) but I was surprised there was no way to check in and make sure everyone made it back safely from the ride. At that point, I was REALLY glad that I had Carole as a riding partner and that we'd not had any real trouble.
There was one group that had arrived shortly before us that asked if we could take a group photo for them and we exchanged the favor. I had one of them take photos of Carole and I in front of the store to show we finished. We finished around 12:30, with approximately 43 miles, in just under 3 and a half hours riding time. We weren't blazing, but we finished just the same. I just wish I'd gotten more photos taken. I know there was someone there that looked like they were taking professional photos, I hope they're put up somewhere to see them.
Mary

mary9761
09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
http://www.thebikeline.com/whatsnew/whatsnew_item.asp?list_entry_id=140 photos from the Bike Line site from the ride....

Hurricane Katrina Benefit Ride
Thanks to all who participated in the Hurricane Katrina Benefit Ride. It was a picture perfect day to ride with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70's. We had over 150 registered riders who contiributed over $7500.00! Thanks to everyone who donated to this very worthy cause.
I would like to send a special thanks to Gore Cycling Clothing for donating more than $2000 dollars in jerseys which were raffled off to the riders on Sunday. A list of winners is also posted on our website.

I would also like to thank Mangia! Italian restaurant for donating food and refreshments for the riders after the 15 mile loop. Lee Tyler, owner of Mangia! was there to make sure everyone was fat and happy before starting off on the 30 mile loop! Lee, I am sure I speak for everyone in attendance when I say, "Thanks for a fantastic meal!"

Finally, there are many individuals who helped make this event possible and I want to give a special thanks to everyone who contibuted thier time to this ride, but I must limit my praise to mentioning the following people; Marlin Meyer, Ron Gurth and Keegan Greene. Marlin, Ron and Keegan were jointly responsible for leading the ride. Thier duties included mapping out the two loops, marking the rides with paint, and printing up maps. Gentleman, you all did a great job with the rides; thanks for a great day!

For all of the people that I have not mentioned, Thanks for everything you did to make this event so successfull. But most of all, thanks to all of the people who donated money to The American Red Cross.

Please make sure you go back to the Home Page and find the links to the pictures that we captured on the day of the ride!

Jimmy Revard