PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice About Swim

Nanci
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM
So there's this tri I want to enter on Sunday. I've only been in one ever- Meek and Mighty last April- very very very short. I swim like crap, but I wasn't last. I had a great time! I loved it!

So this tri, the swim is 800 yards, in a saltwater bay, supposedly calm. I went there to see what I could do this morning. First of all, there were (small) waves. I measured out the distance between the lifeguard towers with my bike odo. Then I swam 3/10 of a mile. I didn't time it, though. But I made it. But I had to either sidestroke or backstroke, because I can only manage about two strokes of freestyle before drowning. It wasn't pretty, but I wasn't any more winded than if I had been running "fast." I plan on going back tomorrow to time it and reevaluate.

So- will I be the laughing stock of the tri if I can't freestyle? I suspect I will also be close to last, if not dead last, out of the swim. But I can handle that. I've been last in a running race before, especially now that my compartment syndrome is getting worse, thanks to my calf muscles getting bigger. (That's one thing I love about biking- compartment syndrome doesn't affect me doing that.)

Once I get out, I should be good on the bike, and slowish on the run. I don't care how I do, but I kind of care that the whole thing isn't packed up and gone when I finish...

I used to do ok running, even got an age group first once, and one time a womens masters, when all the fast runners were running a longer distance. But then I got fat(ter) and got this thing called compartment syndrome, which means my calf muscles swell up bigger than the muscle sheathes, and it hurts bad enough to make me cry, and I used to just quit and go home, until I figured out that it went away after 45 minutes or so. So I started running longer, in the 10 hour range, training for ultras, and did some shorter ones, like 50k, but then I got even _fatter_. So it got tough to run fast, even though I could go forever. Then I did a bike ride, the Horrible Hundred, last fall, on my BF's old mountain bike with road tires, and fell in love. I rode a lot. Then this summer, I had a horrible scare when I had some blood work done, (I was one point away from diabetes!!) and have since gone on a major diet, and started riding my *** off, and have lost 22 pounds. And in the back of my mind, I have always wanted to do tri's, because I love and am good at biking, and because I can run ok, but then there's the dreaded swim...

So that's my motivation. What do you think?

Nanci

KSH
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Well... I have to say that at first read, the thought of someone trying to tackle an open water swim not knowing how to swim freestyle... scares me.

But... you went out there, and you can do it... without swimming freestyle. And... if all you want to do is FINISH... then it sounds like you can do that.

True, you might be the only one swimming back or side stroke... but if you don't care what others think... then they can screw off.

It sounds like you are motivated... and your mind set is that you can finish... and that is half the battle!

If you do it, let us know how it goes.

LoPo23
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah swimming is bit freaky in tri. I lose it my first one every year, then it's payback for the next. I'm not a swimmer by training, I learned to crawl 5 years ago just to do tri. This year I knocked 7 minutes off a 3/4 mile swim by not breast/backstroking, and litterally only been in the water twice this year before.

So nobody will be laughing at you because they are too busy swimming. You don't have to swim crawl, however breast stroke in crawl groups results in other swimmer being frog-kicked in the body (it is quite unpleasant) and w/ backstroke you can't navigate. I do like backstroke to catch my breath. However if your in the back of the swim you probably won't have to worry too much

Here's my breathing advice: slow steady outbreath, try to get the feeling you breathing normally, just your exhale happens to be underwater. Often I count or sing to myself. I train-swim a 3 stroke breath so I'm not one side dependant, which is helpful when you've got little waves coming from one side and can therefore breathe easily out from left or right, whichever is necessary.

Look at the "Total Immersion" book, lot's of info but you can definitely pull out helpful hints.

Also don't think of swimming as trying not to drown. I often spend time floating on my back to remind myself I don't have to struggle to stay afloat, that the water can be like a mattress.

Good luck - Lorna

Trekhawk
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Nanci]So there's this tri I want to enter on Sunday. I've only been in one ever- Meek and Mighty last April- very very very short. I swim like crap, but I wasn't last. I had a great time! I loved it!

Nanci - I have only done a couple of Tri's in the past so I dont have much experience on that side but swimming on its own is something I love and find great to help unwind and keep fit. Most people I have met thru swimming clubs that find freestyle a bit hard improve quickly with a few tips from a coach or swim teacher. Most times people (especially adults) have not been shown how to breathe correctly. Once this prob is sorted they never look back and just keep getting stronger. If you think breathing technique may be the problem booking a private swimming lesson might help you out.

I know this will not help for the next Tri coming up but maybe for the ones in the future.

Good luck with the Tri and let us know how you get on. I am always inspired by girls like you who give things a go even though you know it may be difficult in parts. :)

Patushka
09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Nanci,
Well, I am doing my first tri ever in 2 weeks. It's the Danskin tri in NJ and I am also scared of the swim. I have problem with freestyle as well. I am planning on swimming breaststroke all the distance. Let's hope i don't drown. And I also just learned how to ride a bike 2 months ago. So, I am excited and scared at the same time.
I hope your race goes well and you have fun!

frances
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
hi nanci,

i think it's great that you are willing to try/tri it regardless of how you swim!

as long as you are not afraid of being last out of the water, just do your own thing. i am sure no one is even going to notice because everyone else is busy swimming. i wouldn't recommend backstroke because you can't see where you are going. but, sidestroke is totally acceptable from what i hear (i am going to do my first tri in a few weeks).

i'm not a great freestyler myself. so the one tip that someone told me is to just stay in the back, out of the way, so you don't get run over. i also tend to switch between freestyle and breaststroke a lot.

best of luck and let us know how you do!

frances

Nanci
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
This is the last day I can enter on line, but I can still enter day of race for $15 more. But then will I go?

I revisited the swim site with my watch today. You'd think with two "athletes" in the house, I'd be able to find a (living) sports watch, but oh, no, I had to swim with my (old, retired) dress watch.

So it takes me ~15 minutes to go ~800 yards, as clocked by my bike odo, not counting all the zigzagging around. At least the "waves" (a normal OW swimmer would probably call them ripples) were a little smaller so I could see the bouy line clearly at all times. I guess that's not super terrible. I wonder if I will be faster on race day, due to excitement, or slower due to confusion/chaos.

Am I supposed to wear my bike shorts for the swim, or put them on after, and will that be too hard when I'm wet???

Thank you everyone for all the hints/encouragement. There really isn't a better event for me than this one, I just have to get up the nerve to go.

Nanci

Nanci
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Ok, so that's that, can't waste the $50, I have to go :-)

Trekhawk
09-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Good for you - dont forget to let us know how you get on we love to hear all the stories. :)

TripleFire
09-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Go, Nanci, Go! Good for you for overcoming your fears/concerns and registering. I'm starting to realize that any event like this is at least 80% attitude and determination (as long as you have basic skills ;) ) and you surely have that so I bet you'll do great!

After my mild panic attack a few weeks ago in my first tri, I got a wetsuit and registered for another. I also did a mile swim in a pool to give myself a place to go in my mind should I freak out again. So if you start to get panicky in the water, just start to visualize yourself doing the swim just like you did recently so that you have something to reference. I wish I had good advice on breathing and open water tips but I'm still learning myself.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

KSH
09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Am I supposed to wear my bike shorts for the swim, or put them on after, and will that be too hard when I'm wet???

Regular bike shorts are not made for a swimming to riding to running transition. The pad is usually too think to ever dry out. You don't want to be riding/running with a soggy "diaper" butt.

If you shorts have a very thin pad in the butt, then you might be fine.

Nanci
09-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Cool, thanks. I definately do not want diaper butt in addition to all my other worries! :-) The only other tri I did, Meek and Mighty, was in backwards order, which is so much easier logistically. You just keep stripping things off.

Nanci