PDA

View Full Version : Basel Switzerland

shootingstar
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Yesterday cycled from Freiburg, Germany to Basel, Switzerland. 85 kms. Through the famed Black Forest vineyard country on primarily paths removed from car traffic. Closer to France (we could see France across the Rhine R. about 15 kms. before Basel), we hugged along the Rhine.

Temp. reached near 28 degrees C. or more. Some headwind. Terrain that we did was flatter than Vancouver. :) Though going up the vineyards looked very steep. They use every inch of private land where they can.

Looked around city for a few hrs. Then took train back.

tulip
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Sounds wonderful!

Grog
06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Ah! Now I understand why I didn't see you at the Bike to Work Week wrap party...

Looks wonderful!

Nice jersey, too. :)

shootingstar
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I would have loved to have been at the party. Did your team win anything? (I assume your workplace took up the commuter challenge...)

Next day after Basel ride, we cycled 99 kms. with our loaded panniers to Strasbourg, France from Freiburg, Germany. Great ride, many little neat German towns along the route. Good thing he knew his German well enough to ask for directions. Helps alot.

And Strasbourg is just bursting with cyclists.

Grog
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh! Strasbourg! I haven't been there in... humm, 18 years, but I have fond memories. I was with a group of school friends....

We didn't win anything. Actually we had a bit of a sub-par performance considering it was spring, but not bad if you take the weather into account. But I still got a hotdog at the BeerBrats tent! :)

sgtiger
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm envious, but happy for you all the same. :p I hope you're having an amazing time. :D

e.e.cummings
06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds amazing, I am so jealous! We have been web-searching bike tours for some time now, and Switzerland looks wonderful. Keep us posted. Enjoy every moment!

shootingstar
06-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Trip to Basel so unfortunate no time for me to see some interesting museums there. I do love medieval, rennaissance/baroque art, etc.

Since Strasbourg is close to German border, one can see how region of Alsace is influenced by German in terms of some cuisine, certain names (which looked half French-German) and vice versa how southern German cooking is influenced by French techniques. I have to say that quality patisseries are everywhere..North America cities only occasionally have top quality gourmet patisseries.

WE spent whole day in Strasbourg. Next day cycled with our panniers back to Germany to Karlsruhl. 99 kms. in humid 30 degree C. I heard a strange loud clicking and Jack told me to look up: Our day was blessed when we spotted a pair of stork birds tending their nest on top of church chimney. The stork is Germany's bird for luck, fairytales, etc.

Today in same weather we cycled out to his uncle's home in one of those picturesque old towns among vineyards. Must have done approx. 40 kms. round trip.

Photo is view from his uncle's home on hillside of Weingarten town in Germany where we visited today. The rows of planted fields are vineyards.

Black Forest /southern Germany has alot of good cycling paths that are organized and logical. Don't know about the former East Germany side since they would have had to catch up on cycling infrastructure after the reunification of Germany.

alpinerabbit
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
*has to remember to do that 2-3d biking trip in alsace*. We've been wanting to do that for ages.
Alsace is mostly German (we can understand the real alsatian dialect, but only just) - but due to the changing winds of history is now (for the second or third time) French.
That's where the lovely convoluted names come from. Morschwiler-le-bas is a classic :-)
Are you sticking around a bit?

shootingstar
06-12-2010, 05:24 AM
*has to remember to do that 2-3d biking trip in alsace*. We've been wanting to do that for ages.
Alsace is mostly German (we can understand the real alsatian dialect, but only just) - but due to the changing winds of history is now (for the second or third time) French.
That's where the lovely convoluted names come from. Morschwiler-le-bas is a classic :-)
Are you sticking around a bit?

I visited the city museum in Strasbourg. They have a good innovative history museum. Also Musee de Notre Dame. The huge gothic cathedral to me, looked similar to the Munster (cathedral) in Freiburg, Germany where we started off our trip. But I believe the Freiburg cathedral ranks just equal in sheer scale.

Long time ago, I took 2 courses on stained glass making and despaired I could make use of it because of the work enviroment that working with glass requires. But it's put to good use now to appreciate the stained glass art in the European churches since it has a long incredible history.

Yesterday we were in Karslrulhe, Germany. Took an overnight train to Prague where we had a sleeping unit. I think I got slightly queasy (nothing happened further) while sleeping . :o

Now we are in Prague for next 2 days, then cycle to Cesky Krumlov,Czech Republic-- a preserved medieval town for 1 day. then back to Prague for next 2 days. We will be meeting a local cycling activist.

Then train overnight to Copenhagen where we will be there for about 5 days. 1 side trip across the bridge to Malmo, Sweden for 1 day...by using a commuter train.

Since this is a cycling forum I didn't really even give justice to the great art and architecture that I saw. I do enjoy visiting specific types of museums and galleries in European cities. To me, cycling in a foreign country is a secondary activity. I am definitely NOT the type of cyclist that cycles my head off, collapses in bed and forgets the local history and culture.

I absolutely didn't haven't energy replacement foods ..are you kiddin'? I would have missed the lst segment of the trip which turned out to be a mini Tour de Spargel (White Asparagus). Will blog about this later. :rolleyes:

Photo of Strasbourg, France.