PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite shorts?

administrator
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
BIG OOPS!
The swimsuit poll can be found here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=38331

Let us know about your favorite pair of cycling shorts. Use the poll comments to give us feedback about what you like or don't like and what you'd like to see our manufacturers feature or improve in future products.

I've compiled a list of choices to vote on based on the top selling shorts on our website. If you don't see your favorite in the list, please choose "other", and let us know about it in the comments section.

Castelli Vizio Due Short
Castelli Irresistible Short
Castelli Women's Truly Free Short
Descente Bliss Short
Descente Strata Endurance
Giordana FR Carbon Short
Giordana Shape Short
Gore Bikewear Power Short
Gore Bikewear Xenon Short
Louis Garneau Neo Power Short
Louis Garneau Sensor Short
Louis Garneau Zone 3K
Mt. Borah Knicker Cycing Skort
Mt. Borah Baggy Short
Pearl Izumi P.R.O. MicroSensor Short
Pearl Izumi Sugar Short
Shebeest SSS Short
Shebeest S-Pro Short
Shebeest Century Elite Short
Shebeest Nirvana Short
Sheila Moon Aphrodite Short
Sugoi RS Short
Sugoi Evolution Shorty
Sugoi Evolution Short
Sugoi RSE Short
Terry T-Short
Zoot Sports TRIfit Short

zoom-zoom
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Other:
PI Symphony Cut Short
...6" inseam (2" shorter than the regular Symphony short), comfy/flattering stretchy flat panel in front, instead of binding elastic band, 1 small pocket on upper right butt cheek area.

I would LOVE it if PI put that front panel on some of their PRO-level shorts. I'd love to try that chamois, since the overall placement and shape of the PI chamois is a good fit for me, but I don't like the elastic band that goes all the way around on all of their PRO shorts and have 0 interest in bib shorts.

tulip
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
PI PRO Microsensor, but they are sooo expensive. But I made the mistake of getting a pair of Descente shorts (cheaper ones, in the $60 range, which is still a lot of money in my book) and I'm pretty disappointed in them and won't buy them again. I'll just have to save up for PIs.

Becky
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Right now, it's the Terry Bella shorts. I'm looking for some other options though, so I'll be curious to see what others prefer.

On a related note, I love that TE shows detailed pictures of each short's chamois. No other web site does this, and it makes it slightly less daunting to pick out new shorts...! What about adding some chamois measurements (length, width, thickness) to the descriptions?

Thorn
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Other -- Boure Elite.

I have wide sit bones and end up sitting on the edges of every other chamois I've tried(and I've tried a lot). The Boure has a wider chamois. Side benefit is that it also a nice, thin chamois and the shorts are high rise.

It is probably the only cycling clothing I don't purchase from TE....

7rider
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I have no idea what model any of my shorts are.
I suppose...if I knew it when I bought them...I have long since forgotten or cared about what they are.
I do like my Descente shorts. I think they say "Strada" on them...but that doesn't seem to be one of your choices. I also have a pair of bib shorts from Exte Ondo. Again, couldn't tell you the model or style. They have a red panel on them.
So...I guess I'll pick "other".

Veronica
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I really like my Zoot Ultra tri shorts and my De Soto capris. I really have grown to prefer a minimal chamois.

Veronica

OakLeaf
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
+1 on the minimal chamois. For me, tri shorts are just too short to be comfortable when I'm only riding, but I really wish someone would put a tri-style chamois into full-length shorts. My #1 shorts right now are the Castelli Vizio Due and Provocante, each of which has pros and cons, but I'm still searching for perfect. ;)

Becky
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Other -- Boure Elite.

I have wide sit bones and end up sitting on the edges of every other chamois I've tried(and I've tried a lot). The Boure has a wider chamois. Side benefit is that it also a nice, thin chamois and the shorts are high rise.

It is probably the only cycling clothing I don't purchase from TE....

Sorry 'bout the threadjack, but these are on my "seriously considering" list. Thorn, if it's not too much trouble, what are the chamois measurements (length and width)? Also, how high rise are these? I'm so short-waisted that it's not even funny.....

Many thanks!

pumpkinpony
06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
My favorite so far - the PI Short Attack Shorts.

OakLeaf
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
... in light of Becky's q, this seems a good place to reiterate what I asked before, that TE include chamois sizes on the website - overall length, width at the widest and narrowest points, and thickness zones.

I wouldn't care if it didn't happen all at once, and I understand how time-consuming it would be - but say, every time one of your peeps measured a chamois for someone who called on the phone, if they could record that data so it comes up with the model and size of the shorts when we look at them on the site?

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
My favorite shorts are SheBeest Ultra-D (which i bought from TE of course).
I guess they don't make this model anymore. Good thing I got two pairs at the time, and they're still going strong.

KnottedYet
06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Other: UnderArmour Ultra Compression Short http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/apparel/bottoms/shorts/pid1001226-Women-s-Ultra-7-Team-Compression-Short/1001226-001

Either the 4 inch or the 7 inch inseam.

Now that I have a saddle that actually fits, I find chamois to be unnecessary and annoying. (even the little chamois in my Zoot tri shorts) UA are so cheap that I can have a week's worth on hand. They last forever, I have a pair that are several years old now and still doing fine (though they are a bit shabby looking and I only wear them under other clothes).

A TE'er mentioned using dandruff shampoo to deodorize the manmade fiber clothes, and I've found that to work great on my UA.

Helene
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I purchased these shorts (Giordana FR Carbon Short) via T.E and they are my faves-very comfy and a great length. However, they are starting to fade a tad due to the multiple washings and harsh aussie sun! I will definitely be buying another pair soon! Will T.E be getting them in any other colours/designs? As i have seen the same brand decorated with a pink breast cancer ribbon logo and pink stitching advertised on another site(sorry can't remember the site-maybe Wiggle?)& they looked fantastic!

Selkie
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Assos Bib Shorts. Also like the PI bib shorts w/the red chamois and EO's Sbaren Bibs.

Thorn
06-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Sorry 'bout the threadjack, but these are on my "seriously considering" list. Thorn, if it's not too much trouble, what are the chamois measurements (length and width)? Also, how high rise are these? I'm so short-waisted that it's not even funny.....

Many thanks!

Will do tonight (right now I'm at work). If you want it sooner, send them email. Boure is second only to TE in customer service.

I'm also rather tall and have these gigantic femurs. While most women seem to be screaming for shorter inseams, I yearn for longer inseams. So I sent mail to the guy at Boure to talk custom fit. Very pleasant. Timely turn around. Clearly I'm a groupie....can you tell? :p

oz rider
06-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Assos shorts and capri.

Grog
06-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Other: Shorts by Canada's very own MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop). The model is the Rapide.

They are similar to Trashy Cat's 8-panel short, however I think the inseam is longer. The Lycra fabric is pretty thick, feels supportive and I think it would protected me better than, say, my Sugoi RS shorts, if I was to crash.

Super tough, too.

kmehrzad
06-02-2010, 08:03 AM
My favorite shorts are the Performance Women's Ultras. I like everything about them. The price isn't over the top either.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1014392&cm_mmc=$(referrer)$-_-Clothing-_-PERFORMANCE-_-10-0634&CSE=GooglePS&mr:trackingCode=91549846-A681-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

ny biker
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I really like the Shebeest Century Elite shorts from a couple of years ago, but I will not consider buying them now with the current chamois. I just don't want any chamois that is not seamless -- stitches and seams are bad over long distances.

Fortunately I don't need new shorts anytime soon.

The SSS shorts are good too, but I like the elite ones better.

OakLeaf
06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh, I forgot about these: Exte Ondo Very Short (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodEO_60100.html). (They have an 8" inseam, so they're not "very" short.)

Just dug out my hot weather gear, totally forgot about these. ;) Chamois is wonderful, although it may be too narrow in the rear for a few (fine for me and my 155mm saddle though).

Size down a size from their sizing chart though. I fall smack in the middle of the measurement range for Large, and they were close enough to keep (besides, at the time I'd returned so many pairs of shorts that it was half out of politeness that I kept them :rolleyes:), but they're really too big for me. Next time I order a pair they'll be Medium, although most likely I'm smack on the line between Medium and Large, just as I'm smack on the line between Small and Medium in most US brands. :p

Becky
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh, I forgot about these: Exte Ondo Very Short (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodEO_60100.html). (They have an 8" inseam, so they're not "very" short.)

They look very nice and that chamois might agree with me, but are they as see-through as the pic on TE makes them seem? :eek:

Thorn
06-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Many thanks!

7.5" x 10"

As for the rise, there is a nice picture that says it at http://www.boure.com/1650.html#specs

Becky
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
7.5" x 10"

As for the rise, there is a nice picture that says it at http://www.boure.com/1650.html#specs

Thanks!!

XMcShiftersonX
06-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Anything made by Assos.... Best.Company.Ever.

OakLeaf
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
They look very nice and that chamois might agree with me, but are they as see-through as the pic on TE makes them seem? :eek:

No one's complained to me. :p:cool:

Seriously, they are thin, but I think the part you're referring to is the panel that's just a thin inch or two on the sides of the thighs and across the top of the back. This is an open-weave vent, but the rise on these shorts is high, so the vent falls well above my sacrum. Nothing revealed there. The rest of the shorts is just regular fabric and I don't notice them being especially see-through.

zoom-zoom
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
No one's complained to me. :p:cool:

Seriously, they are thin, but I think the part you're referring to is the panel that's just a thin inch or two on the sides of the thighs and across the top of the back. This is an open-weave vent, but the rise on these shorts is high, so the vent falls well above my sacrum. Nothing revealed there. The rest of the shorts is just regular fabric and I don't notice them being especially see-through.

I think they would show off my cellulite and give me weird sunburn.:o Otherwise they sound pretty nice and that chamois looks like it would be thinner where I want it.

colorisnt
06-03-2010, 07:20 AM
I have about 3 different types of shorts. My used-to-be favorites with my old steel bike aren't my fave anymore. They have a seam that cuts too far away from the pelvis and BUNCHES around my saddle. So, I have chafing on rides more than 20 miles. I have no-name ones which look crappy, but are actually great. They don't bunch and aren't "tailored" to fit ANY saddle and DO NOT bunch. The only thing I don't like is that they are TOO high inseamed and have leg-grippers. Ick. Hate those. Oh, and they are too long. My faves are Shebeest Nirvana's. They are lightly padded, but the chamois FITS my body properly. The material is great and they DO NOT have grippers! They are also shorter and lower cut. I only wish I could get the same short SANS leg grippers with more of a chamois, but it seems all of their pro models have those dang grippers!

Crankin
06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I voted for the Shebeest S Pros, as I have come to love them. And they saved my azz on my tour, because they do well in the heat. But I also love the Terry Bellas for the high lycra content. I wish they were a bit shorter, but I still like them.
I will be ordering more of the Shebeests soon.
Bleeker, I used to love the shorts you have, but after a couple of years, I found the chamois to be too thick for me and it started to bother me.

Xrayted
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Yup the thinner chamois feels so much better to me. I wish they made some with thinner chamois with legs that went longer down my thighs though. I also don't like the Descente shorts I have. There is a seam that runs right across my sit bones and irritates the heck out of me. It's not the seam for the chamois either. I have no idea why they did that. I wore them twice for about 5 min each and put them in a drawer. The rubber elastic at the thigh is way to tight too. Some of us have muscle there, ya know.

I love the Zoot shorts chamois. So much more comfy than wearing a diaper type of chamois.

malkin
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been wearing my Ibex knickers lately but it's starting to get a little warm for them. I never have liked the chamois in them and I'm getting close to ripping it out.

I think I'll love the new Smartwool knicks.

I like my thighs covered.

jobob
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Ground Effect (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/) shorts.

I like the thin chamois, and the shorts legs don't have gripper elastic.

Their shipping (from NZ) is surprisingly inexpensive and remarkably fast.

blackhillsbiker
06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
The Shebeest SSS shorts fit me perfectly and seem to have just the right of padding. I love them!

Deb

Maxxxie
06-04-2010, 02:26 AM
I like Jaggad Edge (http://www.jaggad.com/us/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=103) shorts. I wear the men's variety, which seem to fit me a bit better than the women's. The chamois on the women's is a bit odd-shaped.

I've also tried Netti shorts (crap) and Cannibal shorts (OK). Cannibal is a local (Australian) brand. Not sure about Netti.

Max

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Bleeker, I used to love the shorts you have, but after a couple of years, I found the chamois to be too thick for me and it started to bother me.

Well we are all different I guess. :) I always liked that their chamois was denser and thinner, not puffy. Still my nicest shorts, nicest chamois for long rides, and no sausage effect on the thighs!:p

P.S. when i was searching for good shorts a couple of years ago, I actually ordered like 8 different brands to try out at home. I had to eliminate 6 of them right off the bat because of the ridiculously tight thigh elastics. What on earth is UP with that ????? They are not leg elastics...they are TOURNIQUETS! =8-( Why do we need tight elastic around the thickest part of our thighs anyway??

Same thing with jersey waist elastics...the elastic is too tight around my hips and immediately rides up above my belly button to where my narrower waist is...seeking The Path of Least Resistance. lol! Thus a section of my back gets exposed to the sun while riding...YUK!

I'm telling you, pear-shaped or 'female-hourglass-shaped' women totally lose out when it comes to biking clothes.
We have hips! We have thighs! We have waists! We have booty! We have boobs! We're not adolescent boys! HEL-LO???? LOL!

zoom-zoom
06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
We have hips! We have thighs! We have waists! We have booty! We have boobs! We're not adolescent boys! HEL-LO???? LOL!

Sing it, girlfriend! Seriously, everyone touts 36-24-36 as the "ideal," but for those of us who actually are shaped like that NOTHING fits right...not cycling clothes, not running clothes.

Owlie
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Sugoi Evolution, tied with my Primal Wear Prima shorts. I like the material of the Sugoi shorts, but I'd prefer a chamois halfway between the Sugoi shorts and the Primal ones. Mine have the red and orange chamois; I'd like to see how the green compares.
I might have to try the PI shorts that zoom-zoom suggested, though...Now if only I could find a job to pay for said shorts...

Crankin
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a pair of Sugoi liner shorts, bought separately, with the yellow and red chamois. They are unbelievably comfortable. I've accumulated quite a collection of liners, though, from other shorts/knickers I have bought to wear when doing errands or casual rides. The Terry liners are just so-so, but the Zoics are great.

katherine
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Sing it, girlfriend! Seriously, everyone touts 36-24-36 as the "ideal," but for those of us who actually are shaped like that NOTHING fits right...not cycling clothes, not running clothes.

Seriously.

koala
06-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Had a hard time deciding - 3 fave's are Sugoi RSE, Shebeese Century Elite & Gore Ozon. The chamois in all 3 are the best, & I have certainly tried a lot. The Gore is really comfy in the waist area w/ no elastic front, and the grippers have been improved by using silicone dots instead of a sealant band. The Shebeest was a huge surprise, it knocked me out. I have not been impressed with their shorts materials, finish work or chamois in the past. This short is highest quality in all regards, and the chamois is thick, dense & very soft (including the fluff thread someone was worried about, no discomfort for a super-sensitive front zone even 50-60+ mile rides). The Sugoi RSE finally got my vote, partly because I like that particular chamois so much, and partly because the fabric seems to stay drier even on a really hot, sweaty day (but come to think of it, the Shebeest seems to stay drier, too).

malaholic
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Tough call, but I will go with "Other" because for long (century plus) rides I'm also a big fan of the Assos shorts. This chamois gives me the fewest issues after a very long day in the saddle.

Coming in at a very close 2nd for me is the Castelli Truly Free. For whatever reason the compression panels in these just seem to keep the legs feeling fresh. In some ways I like this chamois better in that it is thinner but firmer, but I have to be a bit more liberal with the chamois butter to keep it comfy over a long ride whereas the Assos one doesn't seem to abrade my skin as much.