PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bike shops

Irulan
03-18-2003, 06:27 AM
I thought since there are so many of us all over the place, it might be nice to list our favorite shops and share that, as good shops are hard to find.

Too bad we can't list the ones we love to hate:p

Two Wheel Transit (http://www.twowheeltransit.com)

is awesome.

Irulan

gapgoil
03-18-2003, 06:43 AM
My bike shop is Rebec and Kroes. I was introduced to the owners by my boy-friend, and they are a great couple to go to when I need anything. I get great service, and can always find someone to ride with!!!
Check it out if you're ever in the Ottawa area!
www.rebecandkroes.com

Veronica
03-18-2003, 06:46 AM
I really like Rivendell Bicycle. We got our wool jerseys from them -which were great for the
winter and we even wore them on the rainy days in Hawaii. They never started to stink!

We have also gotten tires, fenders and a Baggins Bag.

I'm also getting my new bike from them in five to six weeks. I can hardly wait.:)

Everything but the bike we did on online.

http://www.rivbike.com/

I also really like the service we got at Bicycle Outfitter in Los Altos. We purchased our tandem from them.

http://bicycleoutfitter.com/site/intro.cfm

Veronica

han-grrl
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Ditto on the Rebec and Kroes, that's a great place to go!

MM_QFC!
03-18-2003, 11:07 AM
(IMHO) It's R&E Cycles in the University area of Seattle, owned by Estelle Gray and Dan Tolle and staffed by riders and bike lovers. They not only have a full-service retail store and bike repair, but a custom frame and paint shop on site too. Estelle is a womens transcontinental tandem recordholder and she designed a women's frame - the Stellar. If you're looking for a bike of any kind and want to not only enjoy but learn lots in the experience, check them out. In the past few years, Estelle has also had a women's bike camp weekend each summer; tons of fun while learning lots with a lodgeful of women riders from beginners to more experienced. For you to know, I'm not on staff or a paid PR agent! - just a satisfied customer. I bought my Bianchi commuter bike there as well a couple of years after gifting myself with a custom built and painted road bike.
Anyway, plenty more info on the website if you're interested.

http://rodcycle.com

missliz
03-20-2003, 07:20 PM
In New Orleans, we have two great woman adoring shops with only true artists on the mechanics staff. Adam's Bicycle World in the uptown area, just nice as can be to newbies and racers and all in between. Right below the French Quarter is Bicycle Michaels, also a just stellar group of guys. Adams is more cruiser/hybrid/serious Italian road steel oriented, but he'll get you anything you want and work with you. He builds awesome wheels. Michaels is really eclectic, he handles everything and anything and does rentals, in case you come to visit. Very serious MT biking stuff, and fun BMX subcultural stuff too. Then there's the weird bikes they build for fun...
Both houses keep top notch beer in the fridge, too.

missliz

Karen London
03-22-2003, 06:13 AM
If anyone's ever in London and needing bike advice or product then I really recommend LBS in Notting Hill, run by a woman (Ninon), it's called Bike Fix I think. (Can't remember as I have been going there so long I just know where it is not where it's called. I think it's in St. Luke's road or near. They are very strong on repair and options for repair. She also has good knowledge on several other types of products that she will sell. It's a very traditional bike shop. Also Ninon will never sell you anything just because it's expensive - if she's not sure that sounds like what would be best for you, or if she has a different/cheaper suggestion, she always checks. Lastly she doesn't do that boy-biker patronising thing. I really recommend her. Of course if I am far from home I go to other LBS's in an emergency, but I always try to do most things with her first.

cruziegirl
03-22-2003, 08:55 AM
If you find yourself in the Santa Cruz, CA area and need a bike shop I must recommend The Spokesman on Cathcart Street. Great supply of everything you could think of, excellent service shop and the guys are as helpful as you could ask for. They have a great bike fit service too. It doesn't matter if you're a recreational cyclist or a mad-dog-teeth-bared-to-the-wind racer. And even when I've asked rather, ahem, *dim* questions they have been unfailingly helpful. These are great guys and a great shop.

velocity
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
What a great thread... Having worked in shops for years, it's now gotten to the point that I can't pass a bike shop without going in. I was super lucky and got to write a magazine article about the great shops in my area, and it was so much fun.As far as a favorite goes, I can't narrow it down to just one...
American Cyclery, San Francisco
Stone's Cyclery, Alameda
Left Coast Cyclery, Berkeley (woman-owned!)
Cyclepath, San Mateo
Cupertino Bike Shop, Cupertino

okay, i think that's all of them...:D

sempre
04-16-2003, 11:13 PM
In the UK I like:

www.wiggle.co.uk (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/) online, and www.mud-dock.co.uk (http://www.mud-dock.co.uk/) in person.

Wiggle has a great range of products and really good service.

Mud Dock is where I bought my Cannondale, and they've got a great policy of 4 free services per year for the lifetime of the bike (which is nice). I've found that they've been really great to my bike, and haven't been patronising to me. They're also very proactive in the Bristol area with trail-building and sponsoring events.

TXchris
04-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Richardson Bike Mart is THE place to go. If they don't have it (which isn't likely because the place is HUGE), they will find it for you! They have the BEST service that I have ever experienced in a retail shop of any kind. People (including my husband and myself) drive from all over to go there. It is about an hour from me and we pass a half dozen other places before getting there, but we just love it. My husband purchased his bike elsewhere as he got it on sale for about half price and couldn't afford it any other way. He went in to buy shoes and could only afford one of their least expensive pairs of shoes. The salesperson spent over an hour fitting him and helping him set up his bike. It doesn't matter to them if you are spending $5 or $5000... they bend over backwards to be helpful.

Richardson Bike Mart has 2 locations in the Dallas area.

:cool: