PDA

View Full Version : CIBA Grand Touring Rides

Catrin
05-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Has anyone done any of the CIBA Grand Touring Rides in Indiana? I think I am going to join in the July 17th Ride of western Bartholomew and eastern Brown Counties. It looks like a lot of fun, and hopefully my legs and my LHT will be ready for the "scenic hills" of that area by then. Well, my legs at least, I know my LHT can handle it :D

indysteel
05-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I've done it and ridden quite extensively. There are some decent climbs on it. With GT rides, you either have to stay with the group or read the map/cue sheet. The group maintains a social pace--maybe 13-14 mph. In general, the GT rides in Bartholomew County are very nice. Randy and Connie do a great job.
Just remember that in a group setting like that, you need to use either voice or hand signals to warn of any cautions, turns and the like. Voice signals work well for a lot of things, but IMO not as well with things like potholes. I know you've expressed some issues with taking one or both of your hands off the bars. If you go, I would suggest staying at the back.

Catrin
05-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I've done it and ridden quite extensively. There are some decent climbs on it. With GT rides, you either have to stay with the group or read the map/cue sheet. The group maintains a social pace--maybe 13-14 mph. In general, the GT rides in Bartholomew County are very nice. Randy and Connie do a great job.

Just remember that in a group setting like that, you need to use either voice or hand signals to warn of any cautions, turns and the like. Voice signals work well for a lot of things, but IMO not as well with things like potholes. I know you've expressed some issues with taking one or both of your hands off the bars. If you go, I would suggest staying at the back.

This is good to know - and it is SO beautiful down there! I am getting better at taking my LEFT hand off of the bar - so far I can adjust my mirror and scratch my face. Can also at least touch/find my Camelbak mouthpiece, I think in the next week I will be able to actually move the mouthpiece to my mouth. Progress comes in increments, and I am trying to keep that hand off the bar a little longer than actually needed to work with balance. I don't see any problems with signals with one hand by mid-July :)

I would be in the back anyway, especially when climbing so might as well just start there :p :o :p

Unless the expensive LHT conversion doesn't fix my problem - and I don't see that happening, I am going to go on this ride :D If it goes well, there are 3-4 others scheduled that look fun to me as well - outside of the one in November on the Monon. I just don't care for the Monon for some reason...