PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bikes

laury
08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking about investing in a custom road bike. I'm leaning toward Luna but just started doing research. I would love to hear from other women about their experiences with custom road bikes. Is there really a big difference from stock bikes? Has anyone had a bad experience buying a custom bike? I don't mind spending more for a custom bike if I get a more comfortable ride and better performance.

SadieKate
08-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I have never had a custom frame built for me, but I want to relate an experience from Saturday.

We took a friend to the LBS to buy her first road bike. We went through every bike that was a remote possibility. Nothing was even close. They were so far off that anybody with experience fitting bikes knew that a stock frame wasn't going fit her no matter what brand or model. The LBS hauled out a Serotta fit bike and set her up on custom geometry and magically she looked comfortable. It was amazing to watch her body go from awful contortions to a relaxed proper fit. The friend ended up ordering a custom steel Seven. Every time I have spoken with someone with weird fit issues that has ordered a Seven they have waxed eloquent about the efforts that Seven goes thorugh the fit the customer.

Turned out the friend has simililar geometry challenges to another customer of the LBS and yesterday I ran into the other customer. The woman was about the same age and body type and had gone through numerous stock frames without ever having a good fit. Her comment was she finally had a bike that "just floated under her." I've always been impressed with Seven's frame and workmanship but to see the fitting process in action was incredible. I've always thought that custom frames were a good thing, but now I think they're a wonderful thing!

DeniseGoldberg
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
While custom bikes are usually more expensive than stock bikes, I think they are well worth the price.

I have 3 bikes that I ride - a diamond-frame touring bike made by Peter Mooney (http://www.wheelworks.com/bikes/brands/mooney.htm), who is a local framebuilder, a Bike Friday (http://www.bikefriday.com) Pocket Rocket set up as a road bike, and a Bike Friday Air Glide set up as a touring bike. These bikes were all built based on my body and my riding style, and at this point I have a hard time imagining buying anything but a custom-built bike.

--- Denise

Trek420
08-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I've experienced both....my road bike is full custom, even got to meet the builder and it was a wonderful experience.

My el-cheapo mountian bike and old Trek are/were customized, small adjustments tweaking till they fit like a glove.

Whichever way you go fit is so important.

eofelis
08-30-2005, 04:19 PM
I've experienced both....my road bike is full custom, even got to meet the builder and it was a wonderful experience.

My el-cheapo mountian bike and old Trek are/were customized, small adjustments tweaking till they fit like a glove.

Whichever way you go fit is so important.

On the "customized" route:

I have a 42cm Surly Pacer steel frame with steel fork road bike. It fits me really well, and the frames are only $400! I had it built up (by my SO, John) exactly as I wanted it with Ultegra and XT, and after 3 years I still love it.

Trek420
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Yep, I'd rather have a $400 frame that fits than a $4,000 bike that does not fit. That's the most important aspect of the bike.

MomOnBike
08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
This morning I stumbled across another custom bike maker you might want to take a look at. Rodriguez Bicycles ( http://www.rodcycle.com/ ) seems to have a pretty good handle on women's bike needs. Rumor has it that these bikes are fairly common in the Seattle area, where they are built.

If I were still riding uprights regularly, I'd look seriously at their travel bike. Obviously a lot of thought as gone in to that bike. It has everything including (I kid you not) a beer bottle opener brazed onto the frame. My kind of bike. :D

The usual disclaimers, no financial interest, blah, blah, blah.

CorsairMac
08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
It has everything including (I kid you not) a beer bottle opener brazed onto the frame. My kind of bike. :D

Now That's my kind bike!! let me see: as crew for a hot air balloon we have bottle openers on the trailers, the trucks, our belts, and now my bike! Yup - that seems just about right!!!

Actually I have a friend here that rides a custom Rodriguez and she loves it. She lived in the Seattle area for awhile and had the bike custom built and fitted (in whichever order that works) right there at the Rodriguez shop and she wouldn't give it up for anything.

MM_QFC!
09-01-2005, 08:26 PM
SadieKate and CorsairMac - I can happily speak to the custom road bike experience with both Rodriguez as well as Seven. Had former R&E co-owner Estelle Gray's expertise, as she designed the Stellar some years ago; the women's road frame for Rodriguez and it was my first. I had been riding for about a year then and was on a heavy hybrid, when I learned more about what I wanted and decided on a WSD made in her LBS' frame shop. I enjoyed and learned lots throughout the entire experience: extensive and exacting bike fit, visiting my custom tubes when they were cut, all the way through frame assembly and the custom paint job. That sweet bike got me safely across thousands of training miles, across Alaska, Montana, Washington, Oregon and California since '98 and even a few rides on the East coast. I'm about to make it my rain bike/commuter bike with fenders, mud flap and rack.
Last year, after mucho research, many test rides of various makes/models and decision-making, I invested in a custom Seven Elium (ti and carbon). I didn't use a LBS, but a veteran bike fit professional who has been a Seven dealer in the Seattle area for years. I had a consultation with him, then went back for the renowned Seven fit process - with my current bike and his practiced eye, as well as measurement after measurement. After those sessions, he sent the information to Seven, then one of their fit techs called me and spent about an hour on the phone reviewing all, questioning me, confirming what I liked about my current bike fit, how I rode, what I wanted to be different in my new Seven, etc., etc. Then Seven used a CAD program to design my frame geometry, just the way John, my fit guy sent it, and he said they consulted with him again too. Then I went back to him yet again and he had his fit bike set up per the build specs and proceeded to tweak the fit a bit more.
After I signed off on it, they got started cutting my tubes and I could follow the progress of all online ('where's my frame' for soon-to-be-Seven-owners link on SevenCycles site!). It was an expected and understandably agonizing wait but - gorgeous! It was all so worth it. They sent it overnight to John, he assembled it, had all of my components on it and when I walked in, he had it all set up and on display. So I have been riding my dream bike since 5/04 and can't sing the praises of John Gallagher of BikeFit in Seattle and the whole SevenCycles team enough. To top it off, do you know you get a laminated card with your Seven measurements and signed by each Seven pro in the assembly process - minor add-on detail but cool to me!
Like their motto, they really do seem to build one bike at a time and last year it was my dream bike for sure!

PinkRacer
09-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I ride a custom Rodriguez OX Platinum Stellar and I totally love it. It made an amazing difference for me verses the off the shelf bike. The bike feels like an extension of my body. Having a good fitting is important. After I got my bike they had to still make several adjustments to get it just right. Since my bike is so small it is very light. I could be happier.... Plus she is sparkly bright pink and Lime green... I was the first to ask for the pink and now it's a standard color!!!!!

Smiley the sales at at R&E cycle is so great. He really takes the time to get to know what it is you want and how you want it to fit you. He doesn't think I'm such a nut for wanting sparklypink bike... her picture is posted in several places in the store and she has generated sales.

My BF was in there the other day he also ride a customer ROD the S3 a total weight of 18 pounds. Several women were asking smiley about my bike and he pointed to BF and said he dates the owner ask him.... how much she loves it! I tend to gush about her... is that wrong? Naaaaa...

I am thinking of getting a rain bike for the NW but the thought of another off the shelf road bike doesn't seem right.. although the pink Obrea is very cute :)

Dogmama
09-02-2005, 02:40 PM
My 11 year old road bike is custom. As Denise said, I cannot imagine riding anything else. On my first ride, it fit like a really comfortable pair of shoes. Cornering, rough roads, etc., are so much easier. I like to ride long distances which means same position in the saddle and fit must be good.

I started on a Trek 1200 aluminum & road it for ~ 3-4 years before deciding that riding was my passion. I suggest that for anybody who is considering custom. It would be a shame to spend all that money & change your mind.

sarahkonamojo
09-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I've been considering a custom bike, too. I'm having a little difficulty getting past the price, as in dollars. And what if the bike isn't perfect? From my experience bike shops will get you on whatever they have. And that just doesn't work for me. Since I've had a couple bikes that were the best I could do in the mass marketplace, I'm always frustrated with my bikes.

I was considering $3k for a bike, but seems custom costs more than that.

What is reasonable to pay for a custom bike?
SKM

jobob
09-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I was intrigued by all the talk about Rodriguez bikes so I checked out their website - looks like you can get a custom frame for $1000, more for upgrades, but even so, a fully built-up custom Rodriguez could come in under 3 grand. Just sayin' :cool: http://www.rodcycle.com

Trek420
09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
What's custom is the frame. The price depends a lot on what you put on the bike. Take my Mononico for example or her sister frameTorelli, you could get my same frame, same full custom fit (but I say again he retires this year so this is it) and have it at or just under 2,000. Then upgrade wheels and things later on...or not.

Or you can go top o' the line fancy schmany every carbon doodad hung on it and it could be close to 10 grand, or somewhere in between, all up to you.

But you can go custom on your budget.

laury
09-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for your advice. Just wanted to let you know that I put a deposit on a Seven frame (ti and carbon) yesterday. My local Seven dealer spent a few hours taking measurements and helping me fill out the fit questions. I'm a little nervous but mostly excited. It's a big investment but hearing about all of your positive experiences with custom bikes and with Seven helps me to feel like I made the right choice. Thanks again for all of your support and help.

jobob
09-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Way cool! So, how long before you get it? :D

SadieKate
09-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Did you order an Elium or Odonata? Bubba (aka WrenchBoy) is drooling over these. I think he's getting closer to making the plunge so please let us know what you think.

MM_QFC!
09-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Congrats, Laury! I'm excited for you and keep us posted on your bike's birthing process, ok?! Did you get the link for 'where's my frame' yet on Seven's site? It's fun to follow along and the anticipation and excitement builds. No matter what frame you decided on, you can't go wrong with Seven's workmanship and outstanding quality. You're sure to love it. Also, as part of my rationale in spending the $, I decided early on that it was a fine investment and I'm worth it! I've never regretted it, and you'll appreciate the custom difference on every single ride. Happy trails!
Mary

CorsairMac
09-07-2005, 10:38 AM
That's us Laury - ever helpful in spending Other ppls money! ;) I'm so excited for you! Please let us know when she/he's due and all the details etc etc........i can promise we're just as anxious as you are!!

laury
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all your good wishes. My Odonata frame should be arriving sometime in early November. I picked out Easton carbon fork, seatpost and stem. I went with Salsa Poco handlebars. I still have to pick out wheels. I'll probably go with an Ultegra component package. I was saving up for central air in my house but am blowing the whole thing on the frame and components. I guess it won't matter anyway because I'll be out riding all summer. I'll keep everyone posted on my babty's progress.

snpdragn
09-13-2005, 05:49 AM
Would any of you recommend custom for a newbie? Or do you think you should just try to get into it first?
Also, what are some things you should watch out for with the salesmen/people when you look for your custom?

MomOnBike
09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't think I'd go for custom for a newby. You just don't know yet what you like. Why spend the extra?

When you find youself drooling over bikes that are just perfect except for (fill in the blank with something expensive), then you are ready for a custom bike.

CorsairMac
09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
So I'm stopped at a coffee shop with my friend who rides a custom Rodriguez (I'm on the vintage Trek 1100) and a guy comes in wanting to know if those are our bikes out there. He said he'd never heard of Rodriguez but it was the vintage Trek he was looking at since he rides an even older Trek. She and I were laughing later that it was the older bike that he was admiring - not the custom one!

Kathi
10-15-2005, 07:20 PM
MM_QFC

I was talking to my LBS yesterday about the Elium. Why did you decide on that frame? Seven also makes a frame that is all ti that is called the Aerios, which they promote as a frame for lightweight riders.

I can't decide if I want to go with ti or steel. Some of the smaller frame builders sound interesting but it takes longer to get the frames and some believe that steel is not a good material for a lightweight rider.

I'm currently riding a wonderful carbon frame and that's why the Elium was recommended to me, twice, by 2 different bike shops.

For years I rode bikes that were too stiff and jarring so I'm being extra cautious about what I build. I'm 5'1" and weigh 100 #'s which is another reason for the recommendation of the Elium.

Thanks

SadieKate and CorsairMac - I can happily speak to the custom road bike experience with both Rodriguez as well as Seven. Had former R&E co-owner Estelle Gray's expertise, as she designed the Stellar some years ago; the women's road frame for Rodriguez and it was my first. I had been riding for about a year then and was on a heavy hybrid, when I learned more about what I wanted and decided on a WSD made in her LBS' frame shop. I enjoyed and learned lots throughout the entire experience: extensive and exacting bike fit, visiting my custom tubes when they were cut, all the way through frame assembly and the custom paint job. That sweet bike got me safely across thousands of training miles, across Alaska, Montana, Washington, Oregon and California since '98 and even a few rides on the East coast. I'm about to make it my rain bike/commuter bike with fenders, mud flap and rack.
Last year, after mucho research, many test rides of various makes/models and decision-making, I invested in a custom Seven Elium (ti and carbon). I didn't use a LBS, but a veteran bike fit professional who has been a Seven dealer in the Seattle area for years. I had a consultation with him, then went back for the renowned Seven fit process - with my current bike and his practiced eye, as well as measurement after measurement. After those sessions, he sent the information to Seven, then one of their fit techs called me and spent about an hour on the phone reviewing all, questioning me, confirming what I liked about my current bike fit, how I rode, what I wanted to be different in my new Seven, etc., etc. Then Seven used a CAD program to design my frame geometry, just the way John, my fit guy sent it, and he said they consulted with him again too. Then I went back to him yet again and he had his fit bike set up per the build specs and proceeded to tweak the fit a bit more.
After I signed off on it, they got started cutting my tubes and I could follow the progress of all online ('where's my frame' for soon-to-be-Seven-owners link on SevenCycles site!). It was an expected and understandably agonizing wait but - gorgeous! It was all so worth it. They sent it overnight to John, he assembled it, had all of my components on it and when I walked in, he had it all set up and on display. So I have been riding my dream bike since 5/04 and can't sing the praises of John Gallagher of BikeFit in Seattle and the whole SevenCycles team enough. To top it off, do you know you get a laminated card with your Seven measurements and signed by each Seven pro in the assembly process - minor add-on detail but cool to me!
Like their motto, they really do seem to build one bike at a time and last year it was my dream bike for sure!

Dogmama
10-16-2005, 04:36 AM
I am 5'5" 118 lbs & I ride custom steel. I love it. There are many different types of steel, so you probably will find what you like, if you decide to go that way.

Kathi
10-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Dogmama,
Do you feel road vibrations in your hands, arms or feet on your steel frame? Since I'm used to Carbon Fiber most people I talk to recommend ti. I demoed a steel Serotta Fierte and found it to be similiar in quality to aluminum. It didn't have the dampening quality of CF. They said it might be the wheels but it turned me off steel, especially for long rides. Also, how much does your frame weigh?

I have a steel Voodoo mtn bike but even with the front shock there is no comparision in ride, carbon dampens the road shock so much better. Even my aluminum full suspension Titus rides better on the road than the Voodoo.

I'm thinking maybe I'll do the Aerios and just have straight ti for variety since I already have full CF.

I think the smaller frame builders sound interesting but I got burned on the fit of my CF frame and I like the Serotta method. They set up a prototype on the size cycle, that way you can see and feel exactly what you are getting.

So I'll at least deal with a Serotta fitter.

Thanks

I am 5'5" 118 lbs & I ride custom steel. I love it. There are many different types of steel, so you probably will find what you like, if you decide to go that way.

MM_QFC!
10-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey Kathi,
I had a custom steel road bike before I started to consider other frame materials and, after test riding a bunch of either all carbon or all ti, or various combos, I kept revisiting my Seven dealer who specializes in bike fit. The Elium SG was my pick as it had a bit more carbon in the frame than the then-named Odonata - now ID8, I think. I have primarily been a long distance rider, doing centuries, dbl centuries or multi-day rides, that have included plenty of climbing - hilly variety such as here in western WA or multiple mountain passes...so I wanted the comfort along with the stiffness and responsiveness that the ti/carbon combo gave me. Every ride is a joy on my Seven now! That has as much to do with the materials, as with the bio-mechanical customized fit and design of my frame I think and I don't think I would've felt this great about it, if I had decided to go for a ti bike with carbon fork and seatpost...but that's my own experience and it worked out great for me...I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you too.
Happy Trails!

MM_QFC

I was talking to my LBS yesterday about the Elium. Why did you decide on that frame? Seven also makes a frame that is all ti that is called the Aerios, which they promote as a frame for lightweight riders.

I can't decide if I want to go with ti or steel. Some of the smaller frame builders sound interesting but it takes longer to get the frames and some believe that steel is not a good material for a lightweight rider.

I'm currently riding a wonderful carbon frame and that's why the Elium was recommended to me, twice, by 2 different bike shops.

For years I rode bikes that were too stiff and jarring so I'm being extra cautious about what I build. I'm 5'1" and weigh 100 #'s which is another reason for the recommendation of the Elium.

Thanks

traveller_62
10-16-2005, 05:01 PM
What is great is how many excellent choices there are for bike frames these days. What is confusing is how many excellent choices there are for bike frames these days. ;)

I tried carbon fiber, ti, aluminum, and steel this summer. Did a ton of riding and comparisons and ended up with a Serotta steel frame bike. For me the ti frame was not as comfy and I felt more of the road in my hands and arms after a long day on the road. I did like carbon fiber but I think that steel is more durable and easier to maintain and easier to fix in case of an accident.

There are so many good bikes to choose from you should just pick the one that fits and that feels right to you. This will vary according to your riding style, terrain, etc.

As to custom frame or not.......if you are new to riding I would stick with a stock frame until you get a year or two of riding experience. That will give you a chance to get familiar with the kind of riding you want to do and with all of the options and bike manufacturers available to you before making that (very expensive) investment in a custom bike.

Whatever path you choose I hope you end up with a bike that you love!

traveller

Dogmama
10-16-2005, 05:59 PM
My frame is an 11 year old Reynolds 653 that weights about 15 pounds. I am sure that there are very nice steel alloys out there now. I don't have a lot of road vibration in the handlebars, etc., but honestly, I think the newer alloys are probably much nicer.

I like steel because you can fix it. If CF breaks in half, you own both halves & that's about it. I don't like the way CF rides (OK, I'm nuts) because it is too squishy in the corners for me. I like to feel the road, as I think I have more control in fast corners, bad weather, etc.

Kathi
10-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks,

This is going to be a hard decision, there are no frames from any of these companies close to my size. Seven might have an Axiom small enough that they can send to my LBS but that's the best I can do so far.

BTW, my Aegis carbon fiber has a life time warrenty and crash replacement.

laury
11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Any suggestions about wheels for my Odonata? The frame arrived this week. It's a beauty. I'm going to spend the winter building it out. Hope to have it on the road in March. I've been thinking about Velomax Circuit or Mavic Ksyrium Elite. My bike shop also recommended Topolino wheels. I'm more concerned with comfort and stability on long rides than with quick acceleration. You folks were so helpful about my frame, I'm interested in your opinion on wheels too. Thanks.

SadieKate
11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I've have Topolino's on my Litespeed that are better than I ever expected. I kept reading reviews of Ksyriums that said they were pretty harsh riding, and these were comments from men who I assume weigh more than I do, so I ruled them out. I wanted light weight wheels with low profile rims since I don't race but do ride long distances. The Topolinos have a smooth as silk ride and soak up the road buzz plus being very stiff laterally.

Another option is nice rims such as Mavic Open Pro and Velocity with some trick hubs. You can play with nipple colors (no jokes here :rolleyes: ) and spoke types so get a wheel tuned specifically for you. The price tag for such wheels could be less than factory-built wheels.

Your weight, ride types, typical road surface ridden, and frame material are all critical to making the choice.