PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in South Dakota - Mount Rushmore (suggestions??)

JennK13
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi all,
DH and I will be going to Mount Rushmore over the Memorial Day weekend, and would like to do some riding. We're staying just outside Rapid City closer to Rushmore. I'm finding a lot of info on mountain biking, but not much on any touring routes. We'd be fine doing some hardpacked trails for some of it (I have a Fuji Cross-Comp, he has a Giant Cypress).
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Jenn

Trek-chick
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.dakotabiketours.com/

You might try hooking up with them....depending on how much time you have there.

(The Black Hills Monument Tour)

blackhillsbiker
05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
The Mickelson Trail (rails to trails) is beautiful. There is the bike path in Rapid City, (if you PM me your email, I'll send you a PDF of the Parks & Rec bike path map). There's M-Hill and the Centennial Trail for mountain biking. I also like Spearfish Canyon, but since it is riding on the shoulder, a holiday weekend wouldn't be my first choice. Acme Bicycles and 2-Wheeler-Dealer have maps available when you get to town. I'm sure there are more resources, I just can't think of them right now. If we were going to be in town that weekend I'd offer to show you around, but we're going to visit my parents. I'll PM you my email if you need anything else. Happy Trails!

Deb

Also go to BHMBA.org and look around. The Fat Tire Festival is that weekend. Lots of rides are being planned for all abilities. :)