PDA

View Full Version : swimming question

bones
08-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I want to sign up for a sprint tri in 3 weeks time. The run and bike I think will be fine I am woried about the swim 750m in the mediteranian wich is rather ocean like. Been swimming in a pool all summer but cant fo the crawl for very long. Is it realistic and can one stop and rest in the water (on a bouy or something) if need be?

Pax
08-28-2005, 05:01 AM
You'll be much more buoyant in salt water than in a pool so if you're able to roll over on your back in a pool for a short rest you'll find it even easier in the sea. Good luck and have a great time!

KSH
08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Swimming in open water is HARDER than swimming in a pool. Salt water or not... you have waves to deal with. Not to mention, that it takes more energy to sight... lifting your head every 6 strokes (estimate, some say every 4 if you can't swim straight very well) to make sure you are on track. Not to mention... that some people lose focus and get nervous, when they swallow water when a wave hits... or when they get water up their nose.

When you say you can't swim that long... what do you mean by that? Can you do 750 meters/or yards... without stopping? If not... then I suggest that you think long and hard before jumping in open water.

Now, if you can do a solid 1000 meters/yards without stopping in a pool... and you can do some open water swimming BEFORE the event... then try the tri.

But, make sure you that you are mentally and physically prepared to swim in open water. You need to be OK with swimming in waves... possibly having someone kick your goggles off your face, or hurting you... swallowing water... and spotting the buyos (? spelling) to make sure you stay on course.... being able to face and conquer all those challenges without losing focus on swimming and finishing.

You don't want to be one of the ones pulled out of the swim portion due to lack of skill and confidence.

tricat
08-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Wow, swimming in the mediteranian - cool! I have to agree with KSH about open water swimming. I can easily swim 750 in a pool but in open water, 500m is a struggle, you don't have to sight in a pool and that's when you lose your rhythm. I suggest you practice in open water a few times and don't forget, it you get tired you can do breathe stroke, back stroke etc. Yes, you can always stop and rest and remember - swim at the back of the pack, you will be less likely to get kicked, hit or swam over. No amount of pool swimming will prepare you for open water.

Please keep us posted on how you do and try to relax (I know, easier said than done) as you will save lots of energy that way!
Good luck and I admire your courage!!!!!!

tricat

bones
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Well I can swim 1000m in a pool without much problem as long as I am not swiming freestyle just can't seem to get the breathing down on that one. The open water is a scary prospect I will try to get to the beach to practice a few times I guess to see if looks managable. Thanks for the advice.

Trekhawk
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
bones - is there anyone who can give you some freestyle swimming tips?

If you can get the breathing down you will find this to be a very efficient stroke.

What stroke do you intend on using?