PDA

View Full Version : Road bike choice: Trek Pilot 5.0, Specialized Sequoia Comp, or ?

LauraB
08-27-2005, 01:07 AM
I've had a Trek 7500 hybrid, and have been doing enough riding to finally upgrade to an actual road bike.

I've narrowed it down to two bikes, and am having a hard time deciding.

The first is the Specialized Sequoia Comp (sm). I like the more upright position (an easier transtion from the hybrid). I like the cushy ergo handlebars-- pretty wide, and not too stretched out length wise. Also love the extra brake levers, but understand that these can be added to any bike.
Overall the ride is pretty smooth. Also like the Ultegra components.

Then road the Trek Pilot 5.0 (50 WSD).
Do you never forget the first carbon frame you ride? I loved it. The pedalling felt so responsive, handled beautiful, and the bike was so light, it seemed to fly up hills. For components it has a DuraAce rear derailer, but otherwise 105s. I'll have to see if I'll get used to front derailer, or if I'll end up upgrading it to Ultegra.
One issue... after awhile I get some tightness/pain in my shoulders (two symetrical points that are I'd say if you follow the line of my neck down 1-2"). How can I tell if this is the frame geometry (integral to the bike) or something that can be adjusted with the handlebars (or easily changeable maybe with new bars)? The bars on this bike are WSD so are fairly narrow (as am I) but do have a slightly more aggressive reach than the ones on the Sequoia.

I've always heard to "fall in love with the frame" as other components can always be changed.
My concern with the Sequoia is that it'll be fine, but I'll either always have "carbon envy" :p or grow out of this bike too soon. But maybe not?
My concern with the Pilot 5.0 is first to make sure that I could address the pain issue :eek: with new handlebars, otherwise that's certainly a deal breaker.

Any thoughts appreciated!

maryellen
08-27-2005, 02:44 AM
No advice I'm afraid, but severe envy. I have a trek 7500fx and promised myself I could get a road bike if I rode "enough" this year.

The trek pilot is my current #1 favorite choice, but I've told myself to keep an open mind until I'm actually ready to buy (after this season). Due to low back issues, I'm only considering models w more upright/relaxed geometry.

Keep us posted on your choice . . . and later on re your new ride.

Clare
08-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Laura,

I've ridden a Specialized Sequoia for almost three years, and its been a great bike. However, I feel that its a hard ride....feel every bump in the road. So I'm looking to buy a full carbon bike in the near future. I'm looking at the Giant OCR. I liked the Trek, but I'm short and the size I would need in the Trek would have 650 wheels, which I don't want. The Specialize is a great bike, but if you can get a carbon bike, I think in the long run, you'd like the ride better. I understand that it has a much cushier ride.

Good luck!
Clare

Trek420
08-27-2005, 07:43 AM
These are all great bikes.

I'd seriously consider some of the smaller manufacturers. In a sea of virtualy identical Trek/Specialized/Cannondale bikes (again, love them, love what they are doing for cycling, would love to have one, would not turn any of them down, not critical of them in any way) look into the smaller companies.

For carbon I have major Calfee envy. My cousin and his partner have Calfee road bikes and a Calfee tandom and they love 'em. Also have heard great things about Aegis (sp?).

As for feeling every bump in the road I love my steel frame. With a lot of bikes you choose speed, comfort, light frame pick any two.

With Mondonico (or her more-often-seen sister-frame Torelli bikes) I get all 3.

What I don't pay for is marketing, hype, major team sponsors so I thought I got more bike for my buck.

I know where I live there are a lot more choices. Some areas you get the company your LBS stocks. But look around, there are so many wonderful small companies and these bikes really stand out and are worth finding. :)

Trekhawk
08-27-2005, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=LauraB]I've had a Trek 7500 hybrid, and have been doing enough riding to finally upgrade to an actual road bike.
I've narrowed it down to two bikes, and am having a hard time deciding.

Hi LauraB - not a bad problem to have trying to decide between two great bikes.

I have a Trek 5000 and love it. Its the first bike I have ridden in 25 years and boy that carbon sure is light.

As far as pain goes I found I experienced a little shoulder neck pain but that with more riding my body became accustomed to the racing bike position and it disappeared.

Im sure you will have a great time which ever bike you decide to buy. Enjoy the freedom of the road. :)

CorsairMac
08-29-2005, 09:40 AM
If you feel you're ready to upgrade to a road bike the question would be if you got the Specialized - would you regret NOT getting the more "roadie" style bike in the short haul?? Since you seem to like them both what do you see yourself riding a year from now??

As for the neck/shoulder pain: if you liked the Specialized coz it was more upright that tells me you're not used to riding in the more bent-over position of a road bike? in which case there will be some muscle/joint/body adjustment that you'll have to go through.

(personally I would ALways vote for the Treks but that's coz I'm just a Trek-Head! LOL)

SandyGirl
05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Hello! New here!

I have a Trek 6000 mountain bike that I would love to sell and purchase the Trek 7500 which I test rode this afternoon on my lunch break. Loved the upright position....middled aged here!! Anyway, I want to ride more this summer, not sure if I would ever attempt a "century" but maybe 20-50 miles if I get up to speed. Mostly flat terrain here in Illinois. Ladies, thoughts?
Sandy

maryellen
05-27-2006, 11:29 AM
my bike is a trek 7500fx. i purchased it (my first bike) assuming that i would ride 20-30 miles max. as it turns out, i've done a couple of centuries and a 560 mile week long aids ride. my only regret is not getting a road bike to start w, but the 7500fx is a great bike. the 7700fx is great too.

maryellen

brok
05-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Clare,

FYI, Trek has changed and you won't necessarily have to hve 650 wheels on their small framed WSD bikes. I bought a Madone last November in a 47 and it has 700 wheels - otherwise I wouldn't be riding a Trek either. No way I was having 650 wheels.