PDA

View Full Version : Road Shoes/MTB Shoes

Nanci
08-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I can't decide. I have my old faithful Shimano MTB shoes, which I've had for six years, which are NEVER going to wear out. But now I have my first road bike. Are there benefits to road shoes which I am unaware of, other than, is the deal with the slick soles to make them more aerodynamic? I like being able to get off and walk around if I want to. I am using SPD pedals on all three bikes. I have always coveted Sidi's, and this might be an opportunity to need new shoes. And do you guys like the little buckle things better than velcro, or are they more trouble, and do they hold up well?

Thanks,

Nanci

Trekhawk
08-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Nanci - I have the Sidi Genius and love them. Cant tell you much about mountain shoes versus road shoes as these are the only ones I have used.

I tried a few different types on at the LBS including mountain bike ones (the shop said these would be good as they would be easier to walk around in) but they felt a little like clown feet to me. When I slipped my foot into that Sidi I just knew it felt perfect and it has continued to be so. The guy at the LBS said people are turned off by the price but that he thought they were one of the best shoes and would last ages if you look after them. Walking in them is not the best but this has its good points as it forces me to stay on the bike even when that hill looks like it might be nicer to me if I walked. ;)

DeniseGoldberg
08-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I use Sidi Dominator mountain bike shoes on all of my road bikes. I prefer the recessed cleats, and the Sidi Doms are not a compromise at all from a shoe standpoint. They have the same very stiff sole that the Sidi road shoes have. So if you decide that you prefer a recessed cleat, there are some reasonable shoes out there.

On the ratchet buckle front - the top connection on my shoes is this type, the lower connections are velcro. I really like the ratchet as the top connector since it is very easy to reach down as I'm riding to make minor adjustments.

--- Denise

Nanci
08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Denise,

I've seen the picture of your beautiful shoe and bike! How did the European sizing work for you with this shoe- was it true to the conversion tables, or did the shoes run big or small?

Nanci

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Sidi's run small!!!! I think Denise and I wear the same size(s). I wear a US size 6. I have Sidi's in both a 38 and a 38.5. The 38 fits like a glove and gives me excellent foot to pedal connection but has no space for a thick sock or swelling (which my feet do in really hot temps).

DeniseGoldberg
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Yup, SadieKate is right - Sidi's run very small. I wear a US size 6 too, and my Sidi's are a 38. I wear them with a light sock, and in cold weather I add an insulated shoe cover (Pearl Izumi AmFib shoe cover) - 2 socks won't work in this size.

--- Denise

Nanci
08-27-2005, 12:38 PM
So here's another question- do your bike shoes fit like street shoes, or, if you are doing rides in the 6-8 hour range, do you have to allow for some swelling? If so, how many sizes? For my running shoes, all are 1 size larger than my street shoe size, and I have some pairs that are 1.5 sizes larger for runs of longer than 6 hours. But, with my Shimanos, even after a 7 hour ride, I didn't notice any swelling or tightness. I wear thin bike socks.

Thanks,

Nanci

CorsairMac
08-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Both my shoes have velcro straps so I don't think about it. I don't really "cinch" the straps down. I also wear thin socks and I believe I bought my road shoes in my size and my MTB shoes a .5 size up so I could wear heavier socks in the winter. But I also run and my running shoes are in my size, I just don't tighten the laces.