PDA

View Full Version : New saddle adjustment

bikerz
08-26-2005, 06:07 AM
I just swapped out my Terry Butterfly for a Selle San Marco Atola.

Does anyone have any tips for how to know of the saddle is too far forward or back? I tried to line up the new saddle where the old one was, but the shape and size were so different, I really have no idea if I got it right. And it doesn't look like the markings on the rails are intended to be consistent across saddles by different manufacturers. My old saddle was set pretty far back, so that's where I put this one.

I know there is something about a plumb line from the knee over the shoe on the pedal...

slinkedog
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes, you need to make sure your knee isn't shooting over your toe when you're pedaling. I had the LBS where I bought my first saddle do the plumb line thing. With my second saddle, Blaine was able to do it for me. Do you have anyone who can help you? I find it hard to do the plumb line thing by myself, but you may get along just fine.

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Jim Langley gives the plumb line forward/aft methodology:
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html

Peter White gives what I'm calling the "unique personal body mechanics and how do you want to ride" methodology.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I set up Magpie (my hill climbing bike) with based on the plumb line because that's how I've always done it, but I keep finding that she wants the saddle forward. I moved the saddle forward because I thought I was too stretched out. Finally put on a shorter stem and moved the saddle back because "this is the way you're supposed to do it." I've matched all the numbers on my other road bikes. BAD! I still have to experiment but it seems like the bike rides/climbs better with the saddle farther forward than the plumb line method would set the saddle.

So, I'm taking the Peter White article home to 'speriment.

skibum
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I think the plumb line / knees over pedal spindle method can give you a good starting point but you still need to experiment some to get the exact spot where you want your saddle to be. I found that I needed to move my saddle back. Not so much for comfort reasons. I discovered that I get better transfer of power from my legs to the pedals if my saddle is back a little. Everyone is built different so you may have to play around some to see what feels right for you.

bikerz
08-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone - I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes (and I'll be bringing my wrenches along!)

bikerz
08-28-2005, 09:28 AM
San Marco Atola - report

46 miles and I feel fine. The saddle feels harder than the Terry, so my sit bones were aware the whole ride that they were sitting on something, but the soft bits were A-OK. I think the sit-bones awareness will go away over time (fingers crossed).

I do need to adjust it somehow - the last 5-6 miles the muscles between my shoulder blades were pretty sore (anybody know that that indicates? Fore-aft adjustments?)

Hopefully this is the saddle for me...

Trekhawk
08-28-2005, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE bikerz]San Marco Atola - report
46 miles and I feel fine. The saddle feels harder than the Terry, so my sit bones were aware the whole ride that they were sitting on something, but the soft bits were A-OK. I think the sit-bones awareness will go away over time (fingers crossed).

Good to hear things are going well with the saddle - I should get mine in the mail soon and hope it works out as well. Cant help with saddle position and shoulder pain query though sorry. :)