PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Deju Vu - Sunday, August 28

SadieKate
08-25-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm succumbing to the pressure and we'll be riding Diablo again. Since it is so nice to ride up before the gates open and the Corvettes come racing in, we'll stage an early morning attack.

Start: 6:30 am
Where: Arbolado Park in Walnut Creek

bikerz
08-26-2005, 06:09 AM
SK - it looks like you are very close to your goal! Maybe less than a "Diablo and a half" to go! What are you going to do to celebrate?

aka_kim
08-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Maybe SK should just succumb to doing a Diablo and a half on Sunday! C'mon, you can do it! I'll cheer from the sidelines.

6:30 is now surprisingly cold and dark...

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Kim and and BZ, shhh! Bubba is trying to talk me into riding to the summit, down South Gate, and then just back to the junction since I'm whining about needing saddle time before the Siskiyou. I haven't even done the numbers. OMG, my legs are hurting just thinking about it. So, how many feet if I just ride to the junction 2X? Probably not enough.

So, yawl coming?

aka_kim
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM
The junction x 2 is approx 4000 feet. It can sometimes feel harder than going to the summit, since your legs don't always want to start climbing again after the big downhill.

I was thinking of a junction ride on Sunday, but not at 6:30....

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 09:24 AM
But it's still supposed to get into the 90s! And, we're going up North Gate which isn't as shady and there are no cars that early and . . . and . . . :(

aka_kim
08-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Check the Mt. Diablo weather (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTD), it's staying cooler up there now.

Maybe I'll see you guys on your second junction climb, or while you're descending.

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Am I reading the chart wrong? It says it was 70 degrees at 6 am and 72 at 7 am. I don't mind hauling a jacket for the descent but isn't that getting awfully warm for the climbing? What time would you see getting your "ahem" out of bed? I don't mind sleeping in but I would rather not be miserable on the climb. :o

Some of the pressure has been coming from Andrew so I'll have to check his schedule.

aka_kim
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
72 is warm for climbing? It's perfect, me thinks.

My "ahem" is having a hard time getting moving lately. I would consider 7 or 7:30 as more civilized hours :).

yellow
08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Here's a carrot for you aka_kim:

Yellow's last ride up Diablo before she leaves the golden state! (and if champagne weren't so heavy, I'd carry it to the top!)

Disclaimer: a verified opportunity to show the house may override the Diablo ride.

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
(and if champagne weren't so heavy, I'd carry it to the top!)Okey-dokey, champagne in the Bike Bus' ice chest. Done. :D

aka_kim
08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Ah, champagne is a good carrot, but we shouldn't drink and descend anyway.

So if you all are meeting at 6:30 that means ready to ride at closer to 7, if past history is any predictor ;). Maybe if I get there ready to ride at 6:45??

SadieKate
08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I was the first one there last time!!! OK, 6:45, especially as you seem the fastest at getting out of the car and on your bike.

Now that alcohol is involved, Snap and Jo will probably sign up.

SK

"Drink and descend . . ." :rolleyes:

bikerz
08-26-2005, 08:00 PM
I won't be able to join you guys on Sunday - I've got a full day of non-cycling activities planned, and since almost all of Saturday will be getting down to Monterey, riding and getting back...

I do wnat to try the Mt D thing again, from the south, maybe in mid sept? A few friends of mine want to do it too - we (or at least I) won't be at your speed for a while yet! Have a good time!

jobob
08-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark! :p

But alas, no can do, Leebob and I are making a weekend of it down around Monterey. We'll be thinking of youse while we're having Sunday brunch in Carmel or thereabouts.

aka_kim
08-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't wait for me! My head is about to explode right now, and I don't know if I'll be feeling well enough to ride tomorrow. I'll be up at 6 to feed the cats, and decide then. So get rolling whenever you want, and maybe I'll see y'all. (And I *know* yellow will be returning to CA to ride Mt. D on future visits. We can have reunion rides!)

SadieKate
08-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh no! Cold or headache? Maybe jobob has a remedy :p .

SK

aka_kim
08-27-2005, 07:50 PM
If jobob weren't out imbibing (uh, enjoying the spirits of Monterey) she'd probably slap you upside the head for that remark :rolleyes:.

Alcohol helps with a cold, right? I'm helping my cold right this moment ;).

SadieKate
08-27-2005, 08:32 PM
If she slaps me on the other side of the head from the last time I'll be standing up straight again.

Get well soon and all that jazz. :)

SadieKate
08-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, guess who showed up today?? None other than Miss Veronica and her hubby, Thom. Got to hear some stories, promises of photos soon to be posted, etc. Great to see these strangers again.

Kim was sadly absent so we must assume she is home with the sniffles. The champagne was excellent if I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

Nice to have one more spin up the mtn with Yellow. Going to miss this kindred spirit an awful lot.

SK

Veronica
08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
It was a great ride! The weather was just about perfect. I like it when it's warm enough that you can descend without a jacket. The champagne was excellent. It went well with the Chocolate Decadence (or whatever) thing I had.

We've done one run through of the photos from the Azores. Pared down to 115.

The jet lag is creeping up on me. I'm ready to snooze again.

V.

aka_kim
08-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Current Total - 99,114 ft after riding Mt. Diablo with Yellow and Veronica (79.29 ESBs - Only 886 ft to go!)Hmm, 1.5x Mt. D's today?

yellow
08-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Current Total - 99,114 ft after riding Mt. Diablo with Yellow and Veronica (79.29 ESBs - Only 886 ft to go!)

I'll check with our local gropu rep regarding the ride this Wed (it doesn't seem to be posted on Charles' web site (http://www.beautifulvista.com), but I KNOW it'd be more than 886 feet, if you want to blow past 100k on a hill ride up here!

SadieKate
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Hmm, 1.5x Mt. D's today?No, just some mountain bike rides and the rollies around Lake Solano a few times. Someday I want to do a junction ride X 2 just to get the extra downhill practice on the lower half. I wasn't as far behind today as usual (though Bubba may just have been kind).

I'll check with our local group regarding the ride this Wed (it doesn't seem to be posted on Charles' web site, but I KNOW it'd be more than 886 feet, if you want to blow past 100k on a hill ride up here!Hmmm . . . depends on whether I'm packing for a trip. ;) Though it would be wonderful to actually hit my goal only 2/3s of the way through the year.

All you girls have been a great inspiration!

SK

Psst, yellow, maybe we can get Kim to come ride the TT if we promise margaritas after. :)