PDA

View Full Version : Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour or Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow?

buffybike
05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm between the two...any opinions?? I haven't gotten to sit on either. I'll be buying one "blind". Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Pedal Wench
05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I've got the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour on five bikes. Guess you could say that I like it!

Veronica
05-08-2010, 02:44 PM
What do you need five bikes for? :p

I've got the Selle Italia on two bikes and really like it. Sorry, I actually have the SLK - which I really like. :)

Veronica

ny biker
05-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I just googled both. Assuming I found the same saddles you're talking about, it looks like the Selle Italia has a huge cutout, and the Selle San Marco has no cutout. Which type are you looking for?

buffybike
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, the SLR has a big cutout (which I like), but the Aspide has a large depression which would offer the same benefit as a cutout. I actually saw the Aspide on the bike of a girl who works at my favorite LBS...she swears by it b/c of the Aspide's flex. I'm torn! :confused:

ny biker
05-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, the SLR has a big cutout (which I like), but the Aspide has a large depression which would offer the same benefit as a cutout. I actually saw the Aspide on the bike of a girl who works at my favorite LBS...she swears by it b/c of the Aspide's flex. I'm torn! :confused:

Could you ask the woman at the LBS if you could sit on her bike?

oz rider
05-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I have a Glamour and a SI trans am, which is similiar to (maybe the model before?) the SLR. Based on the websites, the current Glamour is about 60g lighter. You won't know which one your bum prefers until you try it, but I think of them as performance saddle vs comfort saddle.

The depression in the Glamour acts like a cutout but without the dampness in the wet! A good thing. ;) I like the Glamour for shorter rides and especially if climbing; the upswept rear absolutely pins the sitbones to the saddle. Beautiful saddle. But the firmness also means the sit bones do get a bit sore on long days unless I'm out of the saddle every now and again (just have to remember).

But I think I will use the old leather SI for a tour, probably with gaffer tape under the cutout, cos there's never a problem with the sit bones day after day.

Pedal Wench
05-08-2010, 06:35 PM
What do you need five bikes for? :p

Veronica

To keep the other five bikes with other types of saddles company while I'm riding the 11th. :cool:

kermit
05-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I've tried both, measuring in at around 150 for my seat bones. The SLR is nice but very padded, and the aspide glamour was super comfy on the seat bones, a lot firmer than the SLR but I got a little smashed in the girly bits. In retrospect I should have adjusted it a little more before selling. I did find almost perfect happiness with the SI max flite. Same measurements and not as squishy as the lady SLR. The cutout is perfect and the saddle is long enough for drop riding with comfort.

Becky
05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Having tried them both, I prefer the SLR. The Aspide is very firm, and my parts protest after about 40 miles. The SLR is a little more padded, but with a good firm base underneath the padding.

I don't normally need a cut-out, but had some issues with numbness with the Aspide Glamour. I never did figure out exactly why, but it was after ~40 miles, just like the sitbone pain that I was experiencing. The combination of discomforts led me to give up on the Aspide for the SLR.

YMMV, IMHO, and all that stuff, of course.

buffybike
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks you guys...I ended up purchasing the SLR. I can't wait to try it out on a 50 miler! Will report back soon.

buffybike
05-25-2010, 03:27 AM
Okay, I've ridden on the SI SLR Lady Gel Flow for about 100 miles and, while I love the cutout, the saddle is chafing the area where my butt meets the top of my thigh (the "crease"?). After reading lots of other posts, I've come to the conclusion that I need a more T-shaped saddle. I've got a Specialized Lithia on my commuter and will put it on my road bike to get more miles on it...if the shape works, I'll get a Jett.

Catrin
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Okay, I've ridden on the SI SLR Lady Gel Flow for about 100 miles and, while I love the cutout, the saddle is chafing the area where my butt meets the top of my thigh (the "crease"?). After reading lots of other posts, I've come to the conclusion that I need a more T-shaped saddle. I've got a Specialized Lithia on my commuter and will put it on my road bike to get more miles on it...if the shape works, I'll get a Jett.

Buffybike - did you have any problems with numbness on the sides of the cut-out? Please let me know if this isn't clear, thanks!