03-13-2003, 12:41 PM
has anyone tried it?
what did you think of it?
just curious if its worth considering
thanks
eli

Veronica
03-13-2003, 03:54 PM
I used it quite a bit before switching to a Brooks saddle. With the new saddle I don't need it - not even for some of the really long rides we do.

jkrcvt
03-29-2003, 05:31 AM
I have never had to use it when I ride outside, but during the past two weeks I've been riding indoors and the Chamois Butt'r has made my rides so much more comfortable. Give it a try!

LovesFrance
03-31-2003, 05:59 AM
My burning question (so to speak) is does the butt'r ever cause any kind of infection in anyone? I'm so sensitive to yeast infections that I really fear smearing anything on anywhere near the delicate areas!

Veronica
03-31-2003, 06:30 AM
I had no problems. I used it towards the seam areas on my shorts.

Veronica

Joycily
03-31-2003, 06:33 AM
I'm actually curious as well - I'm extremely prone to bladder infections and am worried about extra stuff "down there". I have enough trouble as it is keeping bladder infections under control with just the "normal" amount of saddle trauma.

-j

missliz
04-01-2003, 07:52 PM
I use it, I love it, and I highly doubt it causes yeast or bladder infections. It shouldn't have nasty bacteria (you're getting those from your guy;) ) and as a yeast princess myself, I've had no problems. Those sweaty synthetic shorts are the big problem, nice environment for yeast. A little cream isn't going to make any difference.
I reccomend the stuff highly.

missliz

Joycily
04-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by missliz
I use it, I love it, and I highly doubt it causes yeast or bladder infections. It shouldn't have nasty bacteria (you're getting those from your guy;) ) missliz

*wry grin* I won't deny that there's a link with my honey as well - the poor guy looks so guilty whenever I come down with one! It's not the only link though - in my case saddle trauma is definitely another link. (seems almost like a cheat to get bladder infections back when I wasn't seeing anyone!) And yes, I've seen doctors, and yes, there's an explanation that boils down to my particular anatomy. *sigh* As preventative measures, I've learned to be scrupulously antiseptically clean, especially with regards to my biking shorts and my person, and I do try to drink a ton of fluids. It helps.

But this means I'm pretty paranoid about new variables. Thanks for your positive response! May be just brave enough to give it a try.

-j

LovesFrance
04-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Joycily, I'm with you--afraid to introduce new variables. Well, I have some time to toughen the seat before I'm up for a ride long enough to even consider using the cream. I have duel fears though: Last year (before the new butterfly seat) I actually had a BLISTER the size of a half-dollar on the important part down there!

sharris63
04-20-2003, 08:08 PM
I've been wondering who I could ask about this topic. Seems like all my cycling buddies are male! One of them told me to use Bag Balm but I don't think that would be such a good idea for the female private parts. I don't mean to be graphic but I really need some advice. For those of you who have tried Chamois Butt'r are you saying you can put it "anywhere" and it may help the chaffing? I just went on a 50 mile ride and I was pretty sore. I'm willing to try almost anything.

goddess1222
04-21-2003, 03:15 PM
i don't care for chamois butt'r because it is too thin. i just sort of "goes away" after i put it on.

missliz
04-21-2003, 10:03 PM
I find bag balm is great for feet, but seems like it would sting like the ****ens! Scary thought.
In another thread, a tri girl with an AWFUL chafing problem was trying everything anybody could think of, then joyously reported the problem solved- by a refit of the bike. This makes sense, it would shift a lot of things around and could very well solve the problem.
I like chamois butter, but haven't used it on long rides. It's good on awful spin bike seats. Used to use BodyGlide, a similar product, but for days in the country I go for the vaseline. Same consistency as bag balm but no scary stinging stuff. And it stays well, occasional reapplications but it really helped. I think the bike refit idea is valid too, I moved my seat recently and suddenly my sit bones are right in place and no chafing. I was injured and deconditioned, so am gasping my way to the 15 mile mark now but - had chafing, now I don't. Course I'm using the chamois butter. Could be both.
Tri girls are smart, huh? We'll see how I hold up when I get back to half centuries.

missliz

annie
04-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Has anyone tried Assos Chamois Cream? I really like it. Was introduced to it by a woman in the shower room on Ride the Rockies. It has something in it that really cools you off wherever it touches. Can be a bit of a shock at first! You are supposed to rub it into the chamois, as opposed to putting it on you. I do both. It holds up for long rides and seems to help quite a bit.

I've also used bag balm. I've never felt a sting from it at all. And it's thick enough that it stays on for quite awhile. It also has a bit of an antiseptic quality, so it helps heal if there's already something wrong. Sometimes I use it lightly when I am not riding, just to heal any problem spots.

Proper fit in saddle and bike is so important, but it seems like, if you are on that saddle for long enough, especially on windy days (which there seem to be awful lot of) you can get some tender spots no matter what. Personally,
I think riding is worth a little pain or discomfort. (I said a little, not a lot.!)