PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Pedal Thing-ys

Nanci
08-24-2005, 04:08 AM
New Bike is finally here. The pedals which came with it are Shimano 545's or something, which are not the pedals I put on it, but anyway, they have these plastic platform things on one side of the pedal that are so someone can test ride the bike when they don't have their SPD shoes with. So, does anyone know how to get them off? I couldn't seem to just "unclip" them, but didn't want to mess around with unscrewing parts if I didn't have to...

Thanks,

Nanci

Irulan
08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
pop them off with a screwdriver.

DirtDiva
08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
That one didn't work for me. Neither did pliers. I had to get the allen key/hexagonal screwdriver and loosen off the cleats (just like you do if you want to make it easier to clip out). Just loosen both screws until you have enough play in the pedal to wiggle the plastic bit out. I guess you might want to be careful doing this - rumour has it that you don't want to loosen the screws too far or the pedals will, I don't know, like, fall appart or something that necessitates a trip to the LBS. Once you've got the blighters out, it's a good idea to tighten up the screws completely and then loosen them all the same amount so that each side of each pedal has the same level of resistance for clipping in/out.

Hope that helped. :o