PDA

View Full Version : Randonneuring Bike

water_bugg
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
So I've my sights set on a 300k brevet this August. I have a good plan for training and have read a lot of the websites (RUSA, ultracycling etc) for info. I'm most worried about my bike ... most of what I read tells me that a racing bike is wrong for these types of events, but that's what I have to work with. Any suggestions for how I might make some simple modifications to survive 300k? Also, because I'm curious, for those of you who ride brevets, what bike do you use?

maillotpois
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I used a "racing bike" (a scandium Eddy Merckx Team SC) for a 600k and 10 double centuries and a different "racing bike" (a Colnago) for a 400k and 300k. The key really is whether the bike is comfortable for YOU and also whether you have adequate lights and can carry enough stuff. I used an Ortlieb handle bar bag and a Moots Tailgator rack and was able to carry more than I needed each time.

tulip
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
What's your current bike?

water_bugg
04-13-2010, 05:25 AM
My bike is a Giant OCR C3. A carbon fiber bike with a compact double. It's been comfortable for all the centuries I've ridden. I don't have lights or any baggage yet, but that's a purchase I plan on making soon.

tulip
04-13-2010, 05:33 AM
If it's worked for your centuries, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a 300km. If your bike doesn't accommodate a rear rack, you could get a larger seat bag or handlebar bag to hold some stuff, like Maillotpois suggested. Compact double vs. triple depends on the terrain and your legs. It's a big expense to switch from a compact double to a triple, though.

I'd say, use your current bike and if you really get into randonneuring, you'll know what to look for in another bike later.

BTW, I have not done a 300km ride, and since I'm not fond of riding in the dark, even with lights, it's not likely that I will do one. But I sure admire you and others who do them!

Pedal Wench
04-13-2010, 05:53 AM
I've used my lighter 'racing' bike - a carbon Bianchi 928 - on 300Ks and a 360K fleche. I've also used a titanium bike for some - the way it smooths out the road is greatly appreciated. :)
More important question for me is gearing. I'm building up a bike with a triple, specifically for longer, hilly rides. The gear you can do a hill on a 50-mile ride is very different than when you hit that same hill 250 miles into a ride. I'm learning that I need to use much easier gears if I want my knees to hold up later in a ride. (DNF'ed a hilly 400K because my knees blew out.)

I put aerobars on my brevet bikes for a few reasons. One, having that alternate hand position and taking the pressure off my wrists/hands is nice on a long ride. Plus, they give me lots of places to hang things. The cue sheet can hang from them, leg and armwarmers can be removed and threaded on the bar's arms, lights and/or batteries can get strapped on there... nice stuff.

water_bugg
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
I wish I had a triple instead of a compact double for this ride. I switched out my rear cassette to accomodate lower (easier) gears and plan on building up the hill climbing muscles before the big day.
Any lighting suggestions? A lot of what I've seen so far require dinamo hubs or are attached to a front rack, neither of which works with my bike.

Pedal Wench
04-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I love, love, love my Dinotte lights. I have the Li-ion and AA versions of the 200L. I use the Li-ion as my main source, with the AA as a backup/helmet light, so in a worse-case scenario, I can keep loading up with purchased batteries from a convenience store.