PDA

View Full Version : Terry pro deal

uforgot
04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
These are cute shorts, IF the plaid matched at the side seams. Why oh why don't manufacturers match the plaids? I am a sewer, however and may be too picky, but it's not hard to do. For a suggested retail price of $62, you would think they would take care of this. I would rip the seams out and re-cut if I had sewn a pair and they turned out like this.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product/detail/5459/295/pedal-pusher-2

shootingstar
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe it helps now that the pedal pushers are discounted. :)

I agree the side seams have mismatched plaid. This type of plaid pattern is not difficult to match up if they expect customers to pay retail over $60.00 US. But to the manufacturer, it probably means material wasteage to line-up the pattern pieces for cutting. Who knows.

If I buy plaid (which has been rare) garment, I will only buy plaid finished garment if the lines match up. Otherwise why bother. Might as well, look better in a solid colour.

It's a real pricing travesty, especially if it's expensive genuine wool plaid on dressier clothing when the plaid does not match.

But if one doesn't sew, then the customer is assumed as abit "dumber" (or desperate to buy) and unaware to these finer details of workmanship. Same finer detail, ie. curved waistband on pant or skirt that puckers, the notched collar areas of a jacket which do not symetrically match, etc.

I have sewn with plaid material for a number of different garments.

Miranda
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Ha... my mom was a seamstress for a living. Omg! Going clothes shopping with her was a fiasco lol. We would spend half the trip with mom turning the garments inside out, sideways... to qc the sewing. Sometimes you can get a discount that way if you convince the clerk that the garment is flawed (by mom's high standards anyways).;)

MommyBird
04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I think it may be done on purpose. Notice that the waist band is cut on the bias. I think it is supposed to have a mixed up, relaxed look.

malkin
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
That bugs me to no end.
Large patterns that land one on each breast are even worse.

PamNY
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I think it may be done on purpose. Notice that the waist band is cut on the bias. I think it is supposed to have a mixed up, relaxed look.

I think you are right.

Catrin
04-14-2010, 02:23 AM

You are probably right, but it still hurts my eyes to look at it...different strokes I guess :rolleyes:

Bike Chick
04-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I agree that it looks sloppy and like they are of poor quality--especially with the seam going down the front of the leg. If it was on the side it wouldn't be so noticeable. They are cute shorts but don't think they are worth $62 IMO

Crankin
04-16-2010, 04:37 AM
I don't know; I don't think there is anything wrong with the shorts. So, the plaid doesn't match. It kind of looks like the front part of the design is a panel and the rear is separate. I love the "look" of these shorts and almost ordered them. I have another (solid) pair in the same style, and they are very flattering and comfortable, with or without the chamois liner.
I just think it's an urban cycling look and unless you are a seamstress, it wouldn't make a difference. If they were regular, business attire pants, then, of course, the seams should match. But here, I don't think it's a big deal.
And that price is pretty good. Some of the shorts in this style are over $100.00.

tulip
04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I just cannot see myself spending $100 for shorts other than the ones I would ride centuries in, and even then it would be hard to swallow. It seems strange to me for urban-hipster-downdress-shabbychic clothes to be so expensive. When I do my errands by bike, I simply wear some old khaki shorts (or old khaki's that I've cut into shorts) over my regular cycling shorts. I'm sure I could find some pastel plaid bermudas for the same purpose for waaaaay under $62!

And the unmatched plaid is annoying now that it's been pointed out, but I wouldn't have cared before this thread was started. Now I'll never be able to tolerate unmatched plaids!