PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit recommendations?

TripleFire
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm new here to the discussion boards and also new to triathlons. I did my first one yesterday (the Tri for Fun in Pleasanton, CA) and loved it but realized that I need a wetsuit.

I've checked out what TE has and was wondering if anyone has any advice as to sleeves vs. no sleeves and also anything specific to look for in a wetsuit.

The event yesterday was in a lake that I had been in before and the time I practiced there it wasn't cold at all. But early in the morning on a foggy day (and with lots of anxiety) it was a different story.

Thanks in advance for any advice, hints, good vibes :)

KSH
08-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I live in Texas and refuse to do a tri that requires a wetsuit... so can't help you there.

But, I would love to hear the details of your event!

TripleFire
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey K,
Thanks for your reply. I can't stand cold water either and had thought that the water in this lake was going to be warm since it was at least 70 when I practiced in it a month ago. Anyway, I think I'm going to order the Ironman Instinct fullsuit as long as I can return it if it doesn't fit. I saw on another thread where someone recommended the Xterra suit but I can't justify kicking down nearly $500 for a wetsuit.

Thanks for asking about the event. Here's a rundown: Bottom line, I only missed my goal time by 4 minutes. I had foolishly thought that the swim wouldn't be much of a problem since I used to swim competitively as a kid and recently have incorporated swimming into my workouts so I figured 400 yds. in a lake - no problem. Good grief, I couldn't have been more wrong! With the anxiety and all the people around and the cooler than expected temperatures, I panicked a bit and did a lot of breaststroke. I just could not get my breathing right for anything! The bike part was great, though! I recently took up cycling and joined a great group in April and have been riding between 40-70 miles every Saturday. I averaged about 18 mph on a very flat 11-mile course with one small incline. I had been nervous about the run because I had thought it was my weakest segment and I often get side cramps but I was able to run through the cramps (albeit rather slowly) and didn't have to walk. Granted it was only 3.1 miles but I had enough left in me to sprint at the end.

I still have a bit of anxiety and have yet to register for the "Tri for Real" next month but I'm hoping to get the courage to do so within the next few days.

Trekhawk
08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Well done Triplefire. I have done a few mini Triathalons in the past (really mini) and I thought I would be fine in the swim leg as I had been working out hard at the pool and beach. When I jumped in to the swim it was like being in a washing machine, you got kicked in the face and bumped by other swimmers near by. This was not the lovely smooth pool or calm ocean with nobody in my lane or part of the sea. This was hard and catching your breath was near impossible.

I imagine you get use to it with the more Tri's you do and some of the other girls here may have tips on swimming in Tri's.

Enjoy your warm wetsuit and keep us up to date with all your Tri experiences.

KSH
08-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey TripleFire... you sound a lot like me!

I use to swim competively as a "kid" (until I was 18, I am 33 now). I averaged 18 MPH on my last tri (around 12 miles). And I get side cramps when I run!

Unfortunately, I had a side cramp when I ran in my last tri! Oh well.

Yea, I was so scared of the lake swim, so I went to an open water swim clinic (with 4 different classes). Going and doing that really calmed my fears about swimming open water in tri's.

Then, in my last tri... I just stayed on the outside and swam away from the group, but still going where I needed to. I didn't get hit or mangled... until I hit the end, and the guy who kicked me on the hand... apologized (he didn' even know he kicked a girl)! Not typical, I know!

Yea, next year my goal is to do an Olympic distance triathlon. I figured out that I am better at distances, instead of sprinting. We will see how that works out.

TripleFire
08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Trekhawk. I just registered for a tri on 9/18 so I'll let you know how it goes.

KSH, we really do have similar experiences! I checked out your post and pics on your first tri back in June I kept thinking "me too!" Congrats on doing so well in the event. I'm 38 and swam on a team in the summers (and some winters) until I was around 15 back in NY where I grew up.

I did a little research on the side cramps and getting them on your right side is pretty common. It seems to be related to the liver getting all jostled around when you run and the positioning of the diaphragm. One of the things that's recommended is breathing out when your left foot hits the ground and really concentrating on controlling your breathing. Easier said than done, although last night when I went running I got a cramp almost immediately and just kept focusing on deep breaths and it went away after a few miles.

I'm totally going to stay as far to the outside as possible on my next tri. I ordered a wetsuit off of TE today so I hope to be able to go to the lake and practice a few times before the event. Went to the gym today and swam a mile but as you know it's just so much different in a pool.

Good for you for setting an Olympic distance as a goal. It sounds like you'll do great!