PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Starbucks Drink

cyclingqueen2k9
04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't know how many coffee fanatics we have here at TE, but I usually drink about 2-3 cups daily and it's usually for the flavor:) I have been regularly going to Starbucks for my fix for the past few years and it always varies what I get, but for the most part I usually get a iced Frapp.

What are you ladies' favorite drinks at Starbucks? My job recently started a marketing campaign for Starbucks and, even though I don't get it from the store, I have been really enjoying the bottled Vanilla Frappuccino Light. We have some samples around the office so it's very convenient lol.

Here's (http://youcastcorp.com/starbucks/frappuccino/) a coupon for you all btw for $1 dollar off your next bottled frap.

mariacycle
04-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I sadly drink so much coffee I have been upgraded from one member account to another... a shiny gold card with my name on it! As far as drinks go, I stay away from heated milk because it seems to make the lactose intolerance in me die. My favorite drinks are iced vanilla lattes and sweetened passion tea lemonades.

Side note: if you're getting an iced drink, ALWAYS ask for light ice. You'll get much more of your drink and it'll be just as cold when you shake your drink around.

Also, do you actually drink Starbucks coffee (i.e. not crafted beverages, just their brew). DON'T! Huge waste of money and consumer reports have constantly said that Starbucks is not the best. Actually, they've said McDonalds is the best taste for your buck (and they are completely right, delicious coffee).

bmccasland
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Who-ever it is - I don't drink the flavors. Make mine a non-fat latte please. (Given the opportunity, I'll go to a local independant over Starbucks anytime.) But for the most part, just give me a good cup of joe with some hot milk, thankyou.

And the McDonald's version of iced espresso (or at least the one time I had it) was down right NASTY. Not to be repeated. Let me caveat this somewhat - we're talking the McDonal's recent attemt to cut into the espresso stand business.
I've had a cafe au lait in France from a McDonalds - espresso with hot milk and that was very tasty.

mariacycle
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
ahh to clarify... mcdonalds coffee is the way to go. NEVER get a crafted drink from mcdonalds. when they first came out with the whole line of those my best friend and i drove to mcdonalds around midnight. less than thirty minutes later i had to pull over for her to throw up!

MommyBird
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I do not frequent Starbucks very often anymore. But I like skinny vanilla lattes. Not very adventurous.
Lately I have been opting for the Americano.
At home I used to use my fully automatic machine all day long. Now I drink a couple of French press cups a day. I buy a variety of brands and do not grind my own unless I use the fully automatic machine for a special occasion.
I keep the FA in the pool house now and only play "Barista" when we have company.

My church is just about to finish a huge addition and we will have a very nice full service coffee bar. It is next to our new library and computer bar. Wow! The machines are all in and it is first rate. The coffee snobs are going to late to Sunday School for a while. Maybe they will offer a class in the coffee shop. I'd go for that one.

tulip
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I dropped 20 pounds when I stopped going to Starbucks. Something to think about...

pumpkinpony
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't like coffee, but I do like their Vanilla and Green tea frapps. :)

snapdragen
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I can't stand McDonald's coffee. Given the option, I'm with bmc, I'll go to a local shop over SBux. Unfortunately, there are none on my way to work, so my morning breakfast is a nonfat latte and usually an oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit. Sometimes it's the spinach feta wrap. :rolleyes:

For a plain old cup of coffee, I love Peets.

Zen
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
My first choice is local. I discovered a new local place just today. They were also selling pottery made by a local so I had my coffee in my new handmade mug:)

Dunkin Doonuts has some mighty smooth coffee, though.

kermit
04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
All cop jokes aside...Dunkin Donuts does have the best coffee. My shift is 5am to 3pm and I get there by 5:30 a.m. on my work days. I do enjoy the occasional frappacino, they are addicting.

Blueberry
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
All cop jokes aside...Dunkin Donuts does have the best coffee. My shift is 5am to 3pm and I get there by 5:30 a.m. on my work days. I do enjoy the occasional frappacino, they are addicting.

Ah yes - they do have good coffee (I always get plain coffee). Of course, I can't get it to taste the same at home with DD beans. I swear they don't use the same ones:)

snapdragen
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Dunkin' Donuts! Excellent!

GLC1968
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh Dunkin' Donuts...how I miss thee! :(

Starbucks coffee SUCKS. If I'm there I get an americano or nothing. If I want good coffee, I go to Peet's. It's just a little too far out of my way to make it a daily habit. I also always get drip coffee - no fancy, fattening, sugary espresso drinks for me!

surgtech1956
04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm not a Starbucks fan, except for their Frapacinos in the bottles. I would like to try the Frapacino Light. I don't care for McDonalds either. I've never had Dunkin Donuts, they all closed in my area, now we have Tim Horton's, usually meet friends there on Sunday mornings. If I'm just stopping for a coffee for the road, its usually from Speedway(gas station chain).

jdubble
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
we have so many good local options here, that i pretty much only go to Starbucks if i'm on a road trip or have a gift card i need to use. :) that said, if they brought back their Salted Caramel signature hot chocolate, i'd go every single day and have them make me a mocha. *sigh* that stuff was off the hook.

but usually i just make myself a cup of Courier Coffee (http://www.couriercoffeeroasters.com/) in the morning (fresh beans are delivered to our house by bike every Wednesday at 5:30 am).

i did have a really really lovely little latte today downtown at Spella (http://spellacaffe.com/). i will be visiting them much more frequently in the future. it's a bit out of my way but i think it'll be worth the trip.

we had some great Gibraltars at Blue Bottle in SF last weekend. talk about the perfect coffee-to-milk ratio. mmmmm. 4-1/2 ounces of deliciousness.

ny biker
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I've never been a coffee drinker. We're more into tea in my family.

But once after a chilly October bike ride I stopped at Starbucks to change clothes in their restroom, and I felt I should buy something so I got a hot chocolate (which is something I rarely drink). It was pretty tasty. Once I got home, the cup was pretty much empty and I had so much bike stuff to bring into the house that I just left the cup in the car. The next morning, the whole car smelled like chocolate. It was great.

But to Tulip's point, I would not make a habit of any drink like that due to the calories.

jdubble
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
isn't that why we ride though? so the calories don't matter? ;)

OakLeaf
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

Take that, spammer, you've started a whole thread about how much we hate Starbucks.

ehirsch83
04-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Oakleaf, I had the same thought!
Here is someone admitting to working for a marketing company for SBux and trying to use us as a test group.

I only drink sbux when I have to(down here in south fl there is only a few local coffee shops.. so it can be hard to get to them).

I make my own at home. I have a Moka pot and brew my espresso on the stovetop.

I add honey and milk and I am set:)
(can't get out of bed without a cup)

MommyBird
04-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Me too. And I refuse to click on that coupon!

snapdragen
04-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Guys...she obviously works in marketing. She hasn't been here long, but if you check her other posts, you'll see she also worked on a campaign for the Arthritis Foundation and Triaminic. And OMG --- she rides a bike.

She doesn't have SBux spam in a signature, she's not posting a ton of "drink only SBux 'cuz it's the best!!!!!!"

ny biker
04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Guys...she obviously works in marketing. She hasn't been here long, but if you check her other posts, you'll see she also worked on a campaign for the Arthritis Foundation and Triaminic. And OMG --- she rides a bike.

She doesn't have SBux spam in a signature, she's not posting a ton of "drink only SBux 'cuz it's the best!!!!!!"

I agree, I thought she was open enough about her relationship with the company. Having worked in marketing in a past life, I recall that it is possible to genuinely like your clients' product. (Makes your job easier, too.)

OakLeaf
04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Whatever.

I get that there's a technical distinction between "spammer" and "viral marketer," but honestly, I have more patience with the former than the latter. As with a couple of other situations, my curiosity won't tolerate putting someone on "ignore" when there's a possibility, however remote, that they might actually be contributing something worthwhile to the conversation.

I just found it funny the amount of negative feedback the post drew, is all. I'm sure she's accomplished her purpose in spite of it.

Zen
04-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Seen on a tee shirt at DD today=
"Friends don't let friends drink Sbux":D

Catrin
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Seen on a tee shirt at DD today=
"Friends don't let friends drink Sbux":D

LOL, I like that. Personally I dislike the taste of their coffee and the price - I've been known to do without rather than to go to one of their stores - though in a pinch for needed caffeine I will.

Trek420
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Someone here said they only drink S'bucks when no other options are available or has a giftcard. I look for local shops first. I like the atmosphere, and almost always like the coffee better.

Nothing against 'bucks and their people, drinks or service I'm just a local gal. :)

shootingstar
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, tonight we're going to our independent, Italian sandwich and gelato cafe for supper. Yes, well, not entirely healthy.

And I'll have their coffee.

I like Starbucks dark coffee over the other chains. But that is the only type of coffee/drink I buy from them. After hearing about heavy calorie sweetened lattes, frappacinos etc., I haven't tried any.

Or I like the original East Indian spiced chai --without the (or hardly any) sugar but with milk, the spices served by some of the South Asian restaurants.

evangundy
04-09-2010, 08:42 PM
No matter which coffe place I stop at, I almost always get the same thing: Grande, Xtra hot, non-fat latte (16oz - 2 shot).

Sbux usually makes them good (I've had both good and bad) but Portland has so many different places, both independents and National chains. I don't go to one only, but stop at whichever is the most convenient when I want one - and it's only about once a week.

Edna

sfa
04-12-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm a coffee addict, but I just brew my own at home. I can't wait that long for my fix--have to have it within an hour of waking up. And it's cheaper to make it at home.

But when I need more at work during the day, I go to Starbucks because that's what we have on campus. I always get the Americano. I stay away from all the "crafted" drinks because I drink coffee, not dessert. I prefer my empty calories to be in solid form.

Sarah

bmccasland
04-12-2010, 05:39 AM
I stay away from all the "crafted" drinks because I drink coffee, not dessert. I prefer my empty calories to be in solid form.

Sarah

Like good dark chocolate! :p

cyclingqueen2k9
04-12-2010, 07:46 AM
:D:D:D:D:D

Take that, spammer, you've started a whole thread about how much we hate Starbucks.

LOL.

Actually there are quite a few fans here from what I am seeing. It wasn't my intention to spam, I thought a coffee based thread would lead to a lot of responses as, well alot of us love coffee! The coupon I thought would be a nice bonus:D

ahh to clarify... mcdonalds coffee is the way to go. NEVER get a crafted drink from mcdonalds. when they first came out with the whole line of those my best friend and i drove to mcdonalds around midnight. less than thirty minutes later i had to pull over for her to throw up!

Never been a fan of their coffee personally, though maybe it varies from Franchise to Franchise. I know there is a lot of competition brewing(lol) between Dunkin, McDonalds and Starbucks, but of the 3 I like the pastries and coffee(even those mini donuts) of Starbucks better than the other 2.

Zen
04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought a coffee based thread would lead to a lot of responses as, well alot of us love coffee! The coupon I thought would be a nice bonus:D

It did, we do and it was :)

BikeDutchess
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Maybe I'm inept but I couldn't get to a printable coupon with the link provided.

Zen
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Nope, you're perfectly ept.
There is no coupon at that link.

cyclingqueen2k9
04-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Geez, I am not feeling ept right now myself:)

Here is the link with the coupon. Sorry guys!

$1 dollar off (http://www.frappuccino.com/index.aspx)

P.S. I'd edit it in to the original post but I think I ran out of time to fix it.

BikeDutchess
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
That's not linking to a coupon either. That link requires you to do something - connect with Facebook and presumably advertise for Starbucks in some way. That is way too much trouble. I'm putting this topic on ignore.

azfiddle
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't really like coffee on its own, but my daughter's first real job was as a barista at Starbucks. I would drop in to her store, and I learned to drink mocha (hot or cold). I must admit that it is an easy option to stop at the Starbucks near my house for a nonfat light mocha or light mocha frappucino after a ride.

The calorie count on a lot of the other drinks and most of the pastries is scary. Even when I have just burned 1500-2000 calories, I still don't like to squander my discretionary calories when I am refueling......

I think if I was more of a coffee connoisseur I would be more drawn to local coffee places.

hebe
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
We don't have a Starbucks in my little town, nor a Macdonalds! There are a handful of tea rooms and a Costa Coffee. I rarely have caffeine so drink Twinings decaff tea and have a decaff espresso from fair-trade water-processed coffee and my stove-top machine in the late afternoon. I do like the occasional latte, but am learning to say no to the extra calories.

jessmarimba
10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm an ok fan of their normal coffee - EXCEPT pike place (omgawful).

But I was at a Starbucks in the...Phoenix? airport yesterday and they had a salted hot chocolate drink. It sounded interesting, has anyone ever tried something like that?

Edit - just saw jdubble mentioned it earlier - they apparently brought it back! some places, anyway! maybe I'll try it.

inkspot
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Pumpkin spice latte. Yumm.

smittykitty
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Fav espresso stand drink: soy vanilla latte. Can't tolerate the steamed milk. While Starbucks has the best, most consistant flavor, I do try to patronize the locals whenever possible. Since Seattle (home of Starbucks) is just up the road, it technically is a local though.

Regarding the addiction, dh brings 1st cup of brew to me in bed ea. morning. Brewed coffee/latte until evening then the big question is: red or white? Red tonight!

Owlie
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
I study in Starbucks (there are three or four on or immediately next to campus) because it's easier for me to work with "noise" around. I'm weird, I know. I've had plenty of opportunity to sample their beverages.

I almost never drink coffee. Frappuccinos, on the other hand, are fair game, as are the pumpkin spice and gingerbread lattes. If the pumpkin spice or gingerbread aren't around, I get a coffee frappucino with hazelnut syrup or a cinnamon dolce latte.

There's a local chain here that does a good version of mocha. Three kinds of chocolate. It's really good, but really sweet. And if you bring your own mug, you have to clean the resulting chocolate sludge out of the bottom. Totally worth it.

azfiddle, there's a reason I refuse to look at that information. ;) But then, I walk everywhere.

jdubble
10-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm an ok fan of their normal coffee - EXCEPT pike place (omgawful).

But I was at a Starbucks in the...Phoenix? airport yesterday and they had a salted hot chocolate drink. It sounded interesting, has anyone ever tried something like that?

Edit - just saw jdubble mentioned it earlier - they apparently brought it back! some places, anyway! maybe I'll try it.

Yes! I saw that it was back when I was at Safeway the other day - the boys wanted steamers, and I realized *after* I ordered myself a latte that the salted caramel hot chocolate was on the menu again. And then I promptly forgot again after we left the store. On my to-do list for tomorrow, thanks for the reminder!

I'm such a sucker for salted caramel anything. Trader Joes has a lovely new Fleur de Sel caramel sauce that I'm having a hard time not just eating straight out of the jar. Actually I *am* eating it straight out of the jar, by the spoonful, but trying to keep it to just a small spoon once a day :)

Blueberry
02-16-2011, 04:57 AM
So I've not been a Starbucks drip fan (nor do I regularly stop for coffee anywhere). However - yesterday, I walked off and left my lovely travel mug of coffee at home (DH drank it - never fear). I was near my office before I realized it - so no Dunkin. But - I needed caffeine. Went to the Starbucks near my office and tried their Pike's Place blend - and it's good! No burned taste, very smooth. I could see my self drinking it regularly. Who knew??

Spinner
05-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Another Pumpkin spice latte fan here! :)