PDA

View Full Version : Putting up the XC skis for the summer, need help

roadie gal
04-08-2010, 06:31 AM
The XC center closes on Sunday. It's getting warm. I'm going to put away my skis for the summer. I know that you wax up the skaters and leave them with a coat of wax so they don't dry out.

What do you do with waxless skis with the scale pattern on the bottom? Do I wax the tip and tails and leave the pattern or do I put some wax on the patterned part, too?

TIA

Crankin
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I never do anything...
Perhaps I am showing my ignorance.

roadie gal
04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
LOL That would probably work just as well as anything.

lph
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't use waxless but I'm guessing you'd treat them the same as wax skis - I prep them with glider wax front and back and a cold base wax under the kick zone.

yellow
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I just slap yellow on the whole bottom. If you are really concerned about the wax in the scales at the beginning of next season, just use wax remover. The yellow is soft enough that it will come off pretty quickly in cold snow, though.

FWIW, I wax the tip & tail of our "waxless" skis on a regular basis during the season. They seem to be happier for it. But if we go a few trips in between waxings...not a big deal.

Kathi
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
From my research, not extensive, you only wax the tips and tails, not the kick zone (part with scales). I don't think there is a reason, or need to wax the kick zone. It will be hard to get the wax out. But I'm also a rookie, didn't know until this year that you waxed "waxless" skis.

For downhill skis we always put a storage wax on them, it protects the pores from drying out and in humid environments it protects the edges from rust.

solobiker
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
We have both types of skis. For the waxless skis typically we wax the tips and tails and leave the fish scales free of the wax ( it is hard to get wax out of the scales). Alternatively you can purchase a liquid wax ( swix maxiglide) and do the entire ski bottom. This is easier, just wipe on and off however it does not last as long.

Kathi
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
My shop sold me the Swix F4 Universal. Do you buff it off? I applied it but didn't buff, but it didn't seem to affect my skiing the last time I skied. Conditions were pretty soft.

One ski instructor was talking about ironing the wax on, a little more complicated for me.

I plan to have my shop tune and wax my downhill skis and will ask about care for my xc skis.

KnottedYet
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't do anything to my waxless.

They just hang out upside down in the rafters until the next winter, when I put glide wax on the ends.

Crankin
04-09-2010, 03:25 AM
OK, thanks, Knott... that's exactly what I do. Even though I was slightly obsessed with skiing this year, I am pretty much a newbie, after almost 20 years. So much more than cycling.

Just got this from my favorite sort of local place to ski.

http://www.facebook.com/windblown.cross.country.skiing