PDA

View Full Version : movie star "hunk" -- baffled

ny biker
03-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I just need to get this off my chest.

Why is that Twilight dude Robert Pattinson the latest teen heartthrob? I just don't see it. I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

Am I alone here?

Catrin
03-27-2010, 07:11 AM

Why is that Twilight dude Robert Pattinson the latest teen heartthrob? I just don't see it. I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

Am I alone here?

Nope, you are not alone. Then again, perhaps when we were teens our elders couldn't figure out the attraction to our heartthrobs either :)

ny biker
03-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah, but I can usually see the attraction in guys when they are generally considered hot, even if I personally don't swoon for them.

But this Pattinson guy has me stumped.

I grant that he has nice thick hair, but he needs to style it better. He's trying to rock the bedhead look but he goes too far with it.

lph
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

Oh yes he is :D

But then I go for the skinny pale quiet ones. What I don't get is why the girls are all fawning over that lumpy tanned one with the babyface...

Zen
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
He's kind of got the James Dean-Luke Perry thing going on.
I would.

zoom-zoom
03-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Meh...if I were 20 years younger I'd have a crush on Shia LaBeouf. I like the ADHD nerdiness.

MommyBird
03-27-2010, 08:12 PM
The Twilight guy gives me the creeps.
I think Shia is quite attractive. My eldest son does not look like him but has the same type of look.

XMcShiftersonX
03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I agree! That guy is butt ugly, and I'm 25!!! So, technically I'm in the general age group that is supposed to find him attractive I guess! I think he needs to take a shower and some vitamins!

sarahspins
03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Meh...if I were 20 years younger I'd have a crush on Shia LaBeouf. I like the ADHD nerdiness.

:D He reminds me a bit of my husband, and I don't even know why :p

But yeah, I don't get the twilight guy either.. my husband even makes fun of him - says he has a huge head compared to the rest of him.

Selkie
03-28-2010, 04:32 AM
I've never heard of either of those boys and to be honest, I probably wouldn't look twice at them (too young). Andy Garcia and Antonio Bandares are more my style. ;-)

I could never understand the big hoo-haw about that Matthew McWhatshisname. He just looks dirty or something---in a male-****, been with too many women, way.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Never been attracted to 'prep-school boy model' types.
I like grown men who have some character in their faces...and in their minds. :D ;)

bmccasland
03-28-2010, 09:46 AM
just showing your age dearie.

The movie wasn't made for most of our age groups.... :p

Catrin
03-28-2010, 10:04 AM

True, this movie was made for a much younger audience. I think someone mentioned Antonio Banderas? Now THAT I get :D

ny biker
03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
No, I don't think you have to be in the same age group as someone to see that they're good looking. I'm not talking about wanting to jump him, just looking and understanding why girls swoon for him. And I'm not talking about being interested in the movie, I'm baffled by the hysteria surrounding the guy who's in it.

I don't think Shia Lebeouf is stunning but he's handsome in a clean-cut way. I just think this Pattinson dude is the opposite of attractive. Aside from the hair I don't even think he's a James Dean type.

As for the werewolve dude, I wouldn't recognize him if he knocked on my door 5 minutes from now.

Obviously I don't expect my tastes to be shared by everyone (or even a majority). Really I think it's all kind of interesting, like an anthropological study.

I also wonder how much the whole Twilight fantasy plays into his teen idolness, and if he would be anywhere near as popular if his first big movie was something other.

Catrin
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
.....And I'm not talking about being interested in the movie, I'm baffled by the hysteria surrounding the guy who's in it.

I don't think Shia Lebeouf is stunning but he's handsome in a clean-cut way. I just think this Pattinson dude is the opposite of attractive. Aside from the hair I don't even think he's a James Dean type.

As for the werewolve dude, I wouldn't recognize him if he knocked on my door 5 minutes from now.

Obviously I don't expect my tastes to be shared by everyone (or even a majority). Really I think it's all kind of interesting, like an anthropological study.

I also wonder how much the whole Twilight fantasy plays into his teen idolness, and if he would be anywhere near as popular if his first big movie was something other.

All good questions - if the movie were a different genre would they be getting near the attention they are? The fantasy being more important than the actors in this case and would different actors receive the same attention? It is a very interesting question, especially given the "attraction" in recent years to vampire/werewolf fantasies.

Skierchickie
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Twilight dude creeps me out.

I don't think it's age-related. As a kid I didn't like Donnie Osmond, Hutch (really like Starsky, though!), liked the other Hardy Boy (liked Parker Stevenson - creeped out by Shawn Cassidy). All in all, always went for the one who wasn't the widely-acclaimed heart-throb. Oh - and didn't like Leonardo Dicaprio in Titanic, either. He's moderately okay now that he's an adult.

Young Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall-era) - ooooohhhhh! :D

zoom-zoom
03-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Young Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall-era) - ooooohhhhh! :D

I love Brad Pitt when he plays unhinged loonies, like in 12 Monkeys and Inglourious Bastereds.

I do think the roles have a lot to do with how attractive these actors appear to us. Nathan Fillion is no supermodel, but I LOVE every stinkin' character this guy has played. This makes a reasonably attractive guy smokin' hot in my eyes. :cool:

I haven't seen any of the Twilight movies or read the books, so I don't see the appeal of Robert Pattinson. Perhaps I would if I saw the movies, but I have yet to see a vampire movie that I liked (I'm all about the zombies, baby! :D), so I haven't bothered.

Crankin
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I've never heard of either of these people. I am not a movie goer and I barely can sit still for the 2 Netflix movies a month we get. I haven't been interested in movie people or musicians since I was in high school. When I taught aerobics, I had my music tapes made for me and if someone asked me who the artist was, I was in big trouble. I never know who sings what. As far as vampire genres go, I don't get it, either. I dislike fantasy books, too.
I've always liked short, dark men, a la Dustin Hoffman. I had a picture of him hanging over my bed when I was 13 or 14 and The Graduate came out. Both my DH and my first love look eerily like him...
I don't mind the skinny type. My oldest son fits that mold. Sort of alternative looking, although he is quite strong now from riding. My other son has a more "all American" look (weirdly, he is the one that looks like me) and it's funny how each of them attracted different types of people, both friends and romantically.

XMcShiftersonX
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
My biggest movie crush is Patrick Wilson. Watch Little Children and then tell me you don't love him :D (I also don't get the whole vampire/werewolf fascination, I prefer to stick to my own species haha...)

lph
03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
I think it's true that attraction is related to the roles they play. I would never have seen the Twilight movies for myself, they are horribly overwrought and cliched (I still cannot believe that marriage line they pulled in movie 2 :D) but my 12-yr.old son had read the books and loved them and really wanted to see the movies. So I figured I like fantasy books, I love Neil Gaiman, I can sit through these, and tried to get into the appropriate mind set to enjoy them. And in that setting, sure, I found the whole desperate brooding emo role attractive. Reminded me a bit of whassisname in The English Patient, I swooned massively over him :D

I just found out that Pattinson played Cedric in the one Harry Potter film, and I didn't notice him at all in that role (bright and perfect, preppy, cleancut hero).

Zen
03-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I like Dwight from The Office.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM

I wasn't attracted to his type of looks when I was a teenager, and don't find them attractive now either. ("dearie?") He's too male-model-prepschoolboy-pale-privileged-pouty looking for me. Looks like he just fell out of an Abercromby & Fitch ad. LOL

When i was in my teens and early twenties I liked guys with more ruggedly appealing looks with 'interesting' or offbeat character. Guys who didn't have an expression on their face that seemed to say "oooh I'm so gorgeous I can't stand it!" :D
I was the one who didn't swoon over the David cassidys, Davey jones', Paul McCartneys, Donovans, Ken Berrys, Brian Joneses, or Scott Baios. Instead, I liked the Ringos, Mickey Dolenzes, Frank Zappas, Fonzes, Eddie Haskells, Larry Storches, and Mick Jaggers. LOL!

And I don't watch tv so I have little knowledge about the roles people play on tv. I see this guy's photo online splashed around the news on my way surfing by and I see headlines about how 'hot' he is and think "um, ok, sure...whatever floats yer boat" :p

GLC1968
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

This. He's portraying EDWARD...the ultimate in vampire fantasy for these young girls. I think that's the huge draw. As long as he looks like his descriptions in the books - he's in.

He also played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter when he was younger (and cuter, if you ask me), but didn't get anywhere near the exposure.

http://www.mannythemovieguy.com/images/robert_pattinson_equus_harry_potter.jpg

Admittedly, I had to look up the other guy...didn't recognize his name though I do recognize his face. He's totally not my type, and even less so when I was a young-un and prefered the beefy-er types.

redrhodie
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I was the one who didn't swoon over the David cassidys, Davey jones', Paul McCartneys, Donovans, Ken Berrys, Brian Joneses, or Scott Baios. Instead, I liked the Ringos, Mickey Dolenzes, Frank Zappas, Fonzes, Eddie Haskells, Larry Storches, and Mick Jaggers. LOL!

Uh, oh...I like all your likes....and your dislikes, too.:o (and Donnie Darko). Guess I'm not too picky. :p

ETA: My favorite Beatle George.

Possegal
03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
The only way I like him, is when Jimmy Fallon is imitating him. :)

lo123
03-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Am I alone here?

I thoroughly enjoyed the books. <Insert ashamed face here>

BUT, the Edward in my mind is SO much better looking.

For reference, I'm in my late 20s, so I don't consider myself too terribly far detached from the generation of Twilight lovers.

crazycanuck
03-30-2010, 12:08 AM
*oh my*...a young mick jagger, roger daltry, cliff richard...*oooooo* :o

The new kiddies on the block just don't do it for me

Bike Chick
03-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Oh are we showing our age??? There's something about finding a young man attractive who is the same age as my son or younger that creeps me out. Just doesn't do it for me. I want to cook him dinner and bake him a pie instead:D

Always been a Sam Elliott girl myself.....rugged good looks and a sexy voice that makes your knees weak and your clothes fall off your body;)

ny biker
03-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Oh are we showing our age??? There's something about finding a young man attractive who is the same age as my son or younger that creeps me out. Just doesn't do it for me. I want to cook him dinner and bake him a pie instead:D

Always been a Sam Elliott girl myself.....rugged good looks and a sexy voice that makes your knees weak and your clothes fall off your body;)

Well, I don't have any sons.

And as I said, I think you can note if someone is attractive or not without being attracted to them. It's just understanding why others are attracted to them. Just like I can note if a woman is drop-dead gorgeous even though I'm not a lesbian or heterosexual male.

GLC1968
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
And as I said, I think you can note if someone is attractive or not without being attracted to them. It's just understanding why others are attracted to them. Just like I can note if a woman is drop-dead gorgeous even though I'm not a lesbian or heterosexual male.

I totally agree. It's not necessarily about feeling an attraction - it's about recognizing attractiveness. For example, I think my younger brother is a really good looking guy. Am I attracted to him? Hell no! But I can still recognize that he is, in fact, attractive.

That said, I do think taste still plays a role.

channlluv
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe it's because I'm getting older and accruing life experience myself, but I find men who behave with class and integrity to be a lot more attractive, and it's not always based on physical appearance. I guess I've had my fill of letches and jerks.

Roxy, who still gets squishy over Sean Connery

zoom-zoom
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I totally agree. It's not necessarily about feeling an attraction - it's about recognizing attractiveness. For example, I think my younger brother is a really good looking guy. Am I attracted to him? Hell no! But I can still recognize that he is, in fact, attractive.

That said, I do think taste still plays a role.

Exactly! Were my brother not my brother he is definitely the sort of guy I would be attracted to. He's tall, dark, handsome with gray/blue eyes and a friendly smile (with the personality to match). Athletic, but not a muscle-head. The jerk got the best physical features of any of us 3 kids...so not fair. :p

GLC1968
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Exactly! Were my brother not my brother he is definitely the sort of guy I would be attracted to. He's tall, dark, handsome with gray/blue eyes and a friendly smile (with the personality to match). Athletic, but not a muscle-head. The jerk got the best physical features of any of us 3 kids...so not fair. :p

*snort* Mine too!

My brother is tall, lean, tanned, full head of thick light brown/sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. Super intelligent with a witty sense of humor AND he wears a uniform for his career!

I'm short, dark and stocky..."so not fair" is right! ;)

zoom-zoom
03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm short, dark and stocky..."so not fair" is right! ;)

I'm short, pasty, stocky, and asthmatic.:mad:

Tuckervill
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Uh, Sean Connery has a pretty sour reputation as a misogynist. I used to like him until I heard something nasty he said about his wife.

My daughter-in-law just got back from a solo trip to Forks; her little vacation before her third child is born. She was a huge Harry Potter fan, too, even though she was in college. I think she's got a little arrested development thing going on. I've never heard her say what "team" she's on, but I'll bet she doesn't like the pasty one, either.

I turned her on to True Blood. That'll grow her up, fast.

Karen

channlluv
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Uh, Sean Connery has a pretty sour reputation as a misogynist. I used to like him until I heard something nasty he said about his wife.

Karen

Does he? Drat. I've never heard that, but I don't pay attention to tabloid-type stuff. I miss a lot of pop culture that way.

Roxy

Bike Chick
03-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Does he? Drat. I've never heard that, but I don't pay attention to tabloid-type stuff. I miss a lot of pop culture that way.

Roxy

Yeah, Roxy, he told Barbara Walters that he thinks it's okay and sometimes necessary to hit a woman.

http://www.spike.com/video/sean-connery-talks/3034866

nybiker and glc1968 you are right. There is a difference between finding someone attractive and not being attracted to them.

Catrin
03-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah, Roxy, he told Barbara Walters that he thinks it's okay and sometimes necessary to hit a woman.

http://www.spike.com/video/sean-connery-talks/3034866

nybiker and glc1968 you are right. There is a difference between finding someone attractive and not being attracted to them.

It is sad to hear this, I hadn't heard of this before...

skinimini
03-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Johnny Depp--beautiful but strange and the guy who played Legolas--can't remember his name right now.

oxysback
03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Johnny Depp--beautiful but strange and the guy who played Legolas--can't remember his name right now.

Orlando Bloom. :)

XMcShiftersonX
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I think she's got a little arrested development thing going on. Karen

I know you're not talking about the show Arrested Development, but while I'm thinking of it, I'd totally tap Will Arnett or Jason Bateman... yum, and yum!

channlluv
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm revising my earlier post. I'm watching Sherlock Holmes right now, and Robert Downey Jr. is totally hot here.

Roxy

kermit
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Back in the Rockford Files days...James Garner, just sexy! When he's gone I will cry, just a real man!
Now the best eye candy around is Matthew Mcconaughey, yup...he's amazing!

+1 on the Robert Downey Jr., glad he made a comeback, and yes, he's an awesome Sherlock Holmes.

Oh and...Eddie Vedder from Pearl jam...I need to stop this!

Catrin
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm revising my earlier post. I'm watching Sherlock Holmes right now, and Robert Downey Jr. is totally hot here.

Roxy

+1 on Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes ;) I don't remember noticing him in the same way before this movie...but he is hot in this role!

ScaldedCat
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I have to admit to really quite liking Robert Pattinson, much to my 13 year old son's amusement.:o I've had a thing for him since HP 4 (Pattinson, not my son lol).
I'm 37 btw.
My o/h is always being told he looks like Johnny Depp (which isn't a bad thing I guess):p I do find that seeing Depp on the cover of magazines etc when I'm shopping makes me do a double take and creeps me out sometimes.:eek: