PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Springs - Bed and Breakfast

Catrin
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
My vacation is going to be the first week of May, and am considering spending the night in the Yellow Springs area to give myself 2 days for a good exploration of local trails and to visit the state park there. Has anyone stayed in either of the Bed and Breakfasts located in Yellow Springs? Just wondering...

Trek-chick
03-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I have never stayed at either B & B but, used to work right there at the Glen Helen Outdoor Education center. Nice trails to check out.....don't forget to take a drink from the Yellow Spring ;)....and they have an interesting raptor center at the main education center. Pretty cool place IMO

OakLeaf
03-24-2010, 08:05 AM
My first husband and I were married at Glen Helen. :)

But I can't tell you about the B&Bs.

Serotta Jim
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
But I cant tell you about the B&Bs...

Catrin
03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
I am glad to hear about all of the attractions of Yellow Springs - even if no one has stayed at either B&B :D It will help me plan my two days there in the first week of May!

Catrin
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I spoke with one of the B&B and her place is one block from the rail trail and THAT is right next to Glen Haven. Apparently Clifton Gorge? is in easy distance as well. Guess I know where I am going to stay - now just have to have the $$$ :cool:

Catrin
05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I have made my reservations at the B&B for my vacation in less than two weeks! I have NEVER taken a vacation like this one. Usually I just go home and visit my sister, or go somewhere else for a very specific purpose. This time I am just going to spend a few days hiking and biking in Yellow Springs...then come home and continue to do the same for the duration of the week :D

This is going to be FUN :p

Mr. SR500
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Have a blast! Multi use trail network is great! John Bryan state park offers trails and lots of shady roads. We always take the kids to Young's Dairy. Plus shops in Yellow Springs are fun to walk around. Enjoy!

artifactos
05-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't know about the B&Bs, but I'm not far from Yellow Springs! I just went up there last Friday for a bluegrass show and wine tasting. :)

Serotta Jim
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know about the B&Bs, but I'm not far from Yellow Springs! I just went up there last Friday for a bluegrass show and wine tasting. :)

If you like Bluegrass you should check out the Comet in Northside on Sunday nights - the Bluegrass all-stars are great!

Catrin
05-21-2010, 02:35 AM
I can highly recommend the Arthur Morgan B&B if someone wants to stay in Yellow Springs, OH. The biking and hiking opportunities there are great :D I see many day-trips in my future this summer, it is only a 2 hour drive from my front door!

Owlie
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Oh, you start showing up after I move! I see how it is! :p;)

Catrin
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh, you start showing up after I move! I see how it is! :p;)

We didn't know you were there :)

I fell in love with Yellow Springs though - between the B&B, the hiking and the biking I will certainly be back!

Owlie
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
We didn't know you were there :)

I fell in love with Yellow Springs though - between the B&B, the hiking and the biking I will certainly be back!

Just teasing. :) Yellow Springs is north (and east, I think) of me. If you want to come south you can say hi! (I'm off the Little Miami trail, not the Great Miami)

Catrin
05-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Just teasing. :) Yellow Springs is north (and east, I think) of me. If you want to come south you can say hi! (I'm off the Little Miami trail, not the Great Miami)

The Little Miami goes through Yellow Springs, yes? Or am I confused? Anyway, my intention before winter is to ride it from Yellow Springs and Cincinnati (or as close as I can get) and back again. Is this the trail you are on? If not, then I can always check out the trail you are on, it would be great to meet someone from TE!

I must admit that I am falling in love with the Ohio infrastructure for cycling, the rail trails are great!

Owlie
05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
The Little Miami goes through Yellow Springs, yes? Or am I confused? Anyway, my intention before winter is to ride it from Yellow Springs and Cincinnati (or as close as I can get) and back again. Is this the trail you are on? If not, then I can always check out the trail you are on, it would be great to meet someone from TE!

I must admit that I am falling in love with the Ohio infrastructure for cycling, the rail trails are great!

You're right, the Little Miami trail does go through Yellow Springs (the trails, if I remember correctly, along the Great Miami aren't as well connected), but the river sort of kinks there and goes away from the town. My goal in life (while I'm still living in Ohio) is to bike the length of the Little Miami part of the trail. I'd be up for a meet-up if we could co-ordinate!

And you're right, we have some really nice bike trails here! (So I move to Cleveland, where the trails are crushed limestone. Ms. Princess Road Bike would not like that! :rolleyes: )

Catrin
05-23-2010, 02:38 AM
You're right, the Little Miami trail does go through Yellow Springs (the trails, if I remember correctly, along the Great Miami aren't as well connected), but the river sort of kinks there and goes away from the town. My goal in life (while I'm still living in Ohio) is to bike the length of the Little Miami part of the trail. I'd be up for a meet-up if we could co-ordinate!

And you're right, we have some really nice bike trails here! (So I move to Cleveland, where the trails are crushed limestone. Ms. Princess Road Bike would not like that! :rolleyes: )

You DID move away! Pity they have crushed limestone up by Cleveland. I really was impressed at the nice paved trail, how well everything was marked, and even the benches once I got outside/south of Yellow Springs.

My B&B host warned me against taking the trail north to Springfield though - she has heard stories of glass on the trail and things being thrown at people... She didn't know how often this actually happens, but it has happened to one of her guests.

Depending on a few things, next Sunday being the Indianapolis 500 Race - and I happen to live about a mile from the Speedway - I may well return to Yellow Springs for a day-trip and see just how far I can make it on the trail south and return. I don't like being around on race day - not THIS race. The other two I can deal with - the 500 is just nuts around here.

tongue_tied
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM
The Little Miami trail is one of my favorites. I did Milford to Young's Dairy which I think is roughly 74 miles (or at least, that's what my cyclometer said after I got a little lost looking for Young's... oops) and it was great. However, someone did mention that going north, as the trail runs next to the river, there is an ever so slight incline. I always wondered why it felt like I had to work harder - now I know! I was probably ill-prepared too - double oops!

Tabby
09-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Catrin,

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay in YS! Can't beat the charm, that's for sure.

I ride the trails at John Bryan and MoMBA frequently, the Miami Valley does have a great cycling community. The Little Miami trail also goes into Xenia, the Xenia Hub, where the bike path trails spider out in 5 directions. You can pick up all sorts of mileage.

On your next trip this way ... post up and I'll get a small group together and ride with you, if you want company.

Tabby

Catrin
09-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Catrin,

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay in YS! Can't beat the charm, that's for sure.

I ride the trails at John Bryan and MoMBA frequently, the Miami Valley does have a great cycling community. The Little Miami trail also goes into Xenia, the Xenia Hub, where the bike path trails spider out in 5 directions. You can pick up all sorts of mileage.

On your next trip this way ... post up and I'll get a small group together and ride with you, if you want company.

Tabby

It was a lot of fun, though I have not had the chance to return. I wouldn't mind, however, coming out in late fall and hit the trail again :)

Owlie
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
It was a lot of fun, though I have not had the chance to return. I wouldn't mind, however, coming out in late fall and hit the trail again :)

Come say hi! Odds are good I'll be back in October...and of course November, but I imagine you'll have other plans then.

Tabby
09-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Have you checked this site? It shows the various sections of the Little Miami trail ... section by section. I've done several sections, but not YS down to Cincy yet. I've done Xenia to Carroll, Xenia to London, YS to Waynesville ... They are all wonderful rides.

http://www.miamivalleytrails.org/miami.htm

Catrin
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Come say hi! Odds are good I'll be back in October...and of course November, but I imagine you'll have other plans then.

Considering that I am moving at the end of October, November may actually be the best time for me. I will let you know when I am finally able to make it :)

Have you checked this site? It shows the various sections of the Little Miami trail ... section by section. I've done several sections, but not YS down to Cincy yet. I've done Xenia to Carroll, Xenia to London, YS to Waynesville ... They are all wonderful rides.

http://www.miamivalleytrails.org/miami.htm

Yes, I saw that link in the spring when I visited Yellow Springs, it is a very nice site. It was rainy and chilly when I was last there - hopefully it will be a little different when I can return!