PDA

View Full Version : A Few Seconds Made the Difference This Time

Deborajen
08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I was out riding today on bike paths in our area. On the way home, the path crosses a street intersection. It's one of those intersections that doesn't look too bad but for some reason it's crazy. When my turn came to cross and all was clear I went on through and just after I reached the other side I heard a big screech followed by a crash. Looked back and a gal in a little white car had evidently made a left turn onto the street I'd just crossed WAY too fast and she'd jumped the curb onto the bike path and taken out the bike path sign. I know she had a red light when I crossed because my direction had green so I'm not sure what in the world she did to push through that hard.

Good thing I hadn't gotten to that part of the safe ol' bike path a few seconds later - and good thing nobody else was there, either!

Deb

Trek420
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
whew! glad you're ok :o

CorsairMac
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
There but for the Grace of God eh! as a bike path rider that has to cross several busy streets I know what you mean and I am very glad to hear your timing was impeccable!!

slinkedog
08-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Wow! I'm so glad you're okay! That sounds so scary!

RoadRaven
08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Wow... very scarey... joss huh?
So pleased the Cycling Goddess was watching over you

*rereads*
*nods head*
very, very scarey...

nicolezoie
08-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I've had a couple moments like that - nowhere NEAR as scary, but I'm very glad you're ok.

mary9761
08-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Just this weekend here in Indy, I was at an intersection on the bike path beside the main road. I was the red light and when the light changed, I had the crosswalk prompt, looked saw no one coming, started into the intersection and a motorcycle had decided to come from behind me somewhere and make a RIGHT turn just as I entered the crosswalk. He clipped my front tire and kept going as did the bike behind him :eek: .
I was luckily not hurt, nor was the bike, but I was a bit shaken to say the least. No one else at the light asked if I was ok either :( . I'm just glad I hadn't gotten into the intersection with a bit more speed going, I was just stepping on my pedals so I didn't fall with the bike, but definitely felt the BUMP. :eek: I kept riding for the day as I was 30 miles away from home, couldn't have reported anything if I HAD tried to call 911, didn't even get a description of the bike as it rode away. I was just thankful I wasn't hurt because if he'd had any more speed going it could have been worse as well.
I did stop at my local bike shop where I'd gotten the bike to have the tire and rim checked and luckily there was no damage.

CorsairMac
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
whew - sounds like one of the angels I send out to all of you here on the board was working overtime for ya Mary! Glad to hear You were Ok and the bike was OK. *shaking head* I keep telling the guys here at work if I ever get my clock punched it's gonna be by a driver making a right or left turn that isn't paying attention.

mary9761
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
thanks corsair, I was definitely shaken up, but knew I had to keep riding (thankfully the bike made that possible). I was 30 miles away from home with no one to call if anything HAD happened that day. :(