PDA

View Full Version : Question about tour fees

Cherie
03-16-2010, 05:51 AM
I am looking at doing a tour this fall sponsored by Rotary. My question is this: the entry fee is $350 for a 4.5 day tour and while they do carry the participants' stuff each rider is responsible to provide their own meals and pay for their own campground/lodging fees. To me this seems a bit expensive to not even provide breakfast prior to starting the 60-80 mile ride for the day. I am considering not participating because of this, but not sure if I am being unreasonable about the situation. Having never toured before I am looking for feedback re: reasonable fees. Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Tuckervill
03-16-2010, 07:17 AM
I think that sounds quite reasonable. All you're really paying for is sag support. That means you have the flexibility to stay where you want, eat what and where you want, and spend or not spend what you want. Think of it as solo-touring and pack as such, but for $350 you don't have to carry ANYTHING on the bike. I'll bet there are a lot of solo tourist that would go for that deal.

Karen

Biketouringrook
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Yes, I think this is quite unreasonable. I've taken an 8 day support tour at a cost of 400 bucks where breakfast and dinner was provided along with snacks at every rest stop during the ride.

OakLeaf
03-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Honestly? This goes hand in hand with what I said in the other thread about charity rides and runs.

If it's really a fundraiser, then it should cost more than it costs them to put it on. A lot more. And it should cost more than the ride alone is worth to you.

Now, just because it's pricey doesn't mean the money is going where they say it is, obviously. If the Rotary is an organization you want to support - or the particular chapter who's putting this on - ask for the financials for this ride, and what projects it will be used to fund. If they refuse, or if the numbers don't look good, then there's your decision.

tulip
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
That's about what Bike Virginia costs, also a 4-day event.

indysteel
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Tours run the gamit, from very expensive private tours to fairly inexpensive not-for-profit (or not for much profit) tours. How reasonable they are , I suppose, is subjective. As for the Rotary tour you're considering, the only thing I can say is that I've paid less for more, but in saying that, I think the tour I'm referring to (the Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee) is REALLY inexpensive. It's one of the best bargains around as far as I'm concerned. So, if you'd like to pay less for more, then I would suggest that you start looking at other tours based on where and when you want to ride. There are so many to choose from these days.

Crankin
03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
I have done one similar type tour (The Mass Bike Pike Tour), which was 4 days, camping, but the food was included. It was around 450.00 and the food was *horrible.* The worst were the breakfasts, which are the easiest to provide. One day, it was raining and there was no alternative but pbj and cold cereal. I am allergic to peanut butter and I dislike cereal, but ate it. That, with a Luna bar/Shot Blocks got me to a real restaurant, after doing the hardest climb I've ever done, without having to stop.
I would have gladly paid more for better food, since the $ went for bike advocacy in the state.

OakLeaf
03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
If you're looking for comparisons:

GOBA is five days, gear hauling (including your own tent), campsite fees with showers, and sag only, maximum of $200 before discounts for club membership and early registration. Because it's such a large tour, lots of non-profits along the route offer community dinners fairly inexpensively.

XOBA, a much smaller tour, is seven days, all of the above plus the option for sleeping in gym spaces, two dinners, one box lunch, T-shirt, and transportation from the end point back to the start. $300 before member discount.

Bike Florida is seven days, similar lodging options, $450 includes 6 breakfasts and 5 dinners.

indysteel
03-17-2010, 10:27 AM
BRAT (at least last year) was $300. The fee included most breakfasts and dinners. Lunch is generally not provided, but that's largely because you're on the road during lunch, so you eat what you find along the way. SAG stops with snacks and drinks were provided when there was otherwise no place to stop, i.e., in isolated areas. The food was actually generally pretty good and plentiful. The fee also includes park entraces and tent camping. You either have to provide your own tent or pay extra for an independent service.

Cherie
03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Thank you all for your insight. I have never done anything like this before and recreation money is a little tight this year, so just wanted to make sure the fees were reasonable. Thanks again!!!

tulip
03-18-2010, 05:53 PM
You can certainly join a local cycling club in your area, if there is one, and just ride with them and learn about the region where you live from a different perspective. I did that for years before doing multi-day rides.