PDA

View Full Version : Mirror, Mirror on the Bar, Helmet, Frame - d'ya see that car?!

administrator
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Do you use a rear-view mirror on your bike? If so, do you prefer bar-end mount, helmet mount or eyeglass-frame mount mirrors?

bar-end mount (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCL_019000.html)
helmet mount (http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.ep?keyWords=helmet+mirror)
eyeglass-frame mount (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPP_100TAL.html)

Biciclista
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I have this one- it's taped to my helmet. Have to re-tape it every year or two.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPP_100TAL.html

Fredwina
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
take - a -look on glasses

tulip
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I voted bar-end mirror, but mine attaches to my drops (not bar ends).

azfiddle
03-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Mimi, that's the same one I use.
Sharon

Catrin
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I use a bar end mirror - and I must say that I am impressed that it survived my unscheduled bicycle gymnastics! Now I need to decide what to do for the Surly.

OakLeaf
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Glasses-mounted Chuck Harris mirror, reputedly the guy who invented the bicycle mirror in 1970. Made of all recycled materials, the clip end is an old spoke. He must be in his late 70s by now, and he still goes around to the bigger organized rides with his bicycle trailer full of mirrors. :)

Bike Chick
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
DH and I both use the rear view mirrors on our glasses. One of our favorite Saturday morning rides is to an Amish bakery. On one of these rides we were sitting in the yard at the farm house where the bakery is located enjoying our homemade turnovers when the Amish farmer came over and started a conversation. He asked about our bikes, how far we had ridden, etc. but was particularly intrigued with the rear view mirror on our glasses. He wanted to know where he could get one because he could sure use that when he was driving his buggy. He tried it on his glasses and walked around the yard for the longest time testing it out. We just happened to have a spare and took it to him a couple weeks later. I don't know if he ever used it or not.

moonfroggy
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
i don't use a mirror but i am thinking about getting one. i haven't decided what sort to get so i am eager to see what people say on this thread

Pedal Wench
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Okay, couldn't you have shown me that really cool (and adjustable!) bar-end mount the same day that Susan talked me into the new CX-W sports top so I could share shipping? Really, push all the cool new products on the same day! :)

Off to buy that bar end...

Tamra
03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Lost my eyeglasses-frame mounted mirror last year on second day of RAGBRAI - drove me nuts. Of course on RAGBRAI, anything cycling related can be easily replaced.

PamNY
03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I use the Take-a-look mirror mounted on eyeglasses.

OakLeaf
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I had two Third Eye glasses-mounted mirrors break after a year's use, and both my husband's and a friend's Third Eye helmet-mounted mirrors fell off. Too bad that's the only brand a lot of LBS's carry. My Chuck Harris mirror isn't the lightest thing in the world (despite the Ultralight name), but if I ever break it, I'll really have to have been trying!

nico demouse
03-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Glasses-mounted Chuck Harris mirror, reputedly the guy who invented the bicycle mirror in 1970. Made of all recycled materials, the clip end is an old spoke. He must be in his late 70s by now, and he still goes around to the bigger organized rides with his bicycle trailer full of mirrors. :)

I think this must be the same guy I bought my morror from, probably 10 years ago...the guy I bought mine from is at Apple cider Century every year. I love the old pictures he finds to put on them.

Mine is a glasses mount, hubby uses a helmet mount.

surgtech1956
03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a bar end mirror, don't really care for it. I've wondered how the helmet or glass mounted mirrors work with progressive lenses.

OakLeaf
08-09-2011, 04:28 AM
As long as we're revisiting this thread I'll add what I noted before - my Chuck Harris mirror survived my December crash nearly unscathed.

I landed on the left side of my face, just off center so my nose was spared, and skidded briefly. The grinding noise I heard turned out not to be my new helmet - which didn't even touch the ground - but my mirror and sunglasses.

The glasses were a loss. The mirror itself had a little scrape on the plastic backing. The stem was slightly bent, but easily bent back - bending the stem is how you adjust the mirror anyway. And the soft coating on the mount was scraped off. Not sure now whether it was shrink tubing or the liquid dip stuff - either way, I haven't got around to replacing that yet, just have a bit of duct tape over the edge.

As I said in my earlier post, if I broke that mirror, I'd really have to be trying. I tried pretty dang hard that time, five stitches in my face, but the ground was no match for that mirror! :D

Trek420
08-09-2011, 05:31 AM
.... collection of helmet mounted mirrors? :o They all seem to break off, fall off when I store the helmet, put it in the Wald basket ... I like the concept, it works well for me. I tried the glasses mounted mirror once. Even with the lightest and Corkies I was constantly adjusting my glasses.

Bell has a new commuter helmet with the mirror actually built and front and rear lights. My head is Giro shaped, I don't have a Bell head ;) but I just might try it. They don't show the mirror in this clip but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ85jyNKYew