PDA

View Full Version : 700c 32 tires vs 26-inch

Catrin
03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
What are the practical differences between 700c32 tires and 26-inchers? I know that 26 inch tires are mountain bike tires - there are a wide variety of tires/treads that are available and they can be used for everything from pavement to technical mountain trails.

My assumption on 700c32 is that they are basically just larger versions of the 700c28 tires on my Trek - fewer tire choices available and are limited to pavement. Is this a correct assumption?

TrekTheKaty
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong--it's been a long winter. However, the smaller the number, the skinnier the tire (when you look down, while standing over the bike). My hybrid came with 32's--rugged, great on gravel and very forgiving (I refer to them as my "tundra" tires). By changing to a skinnier tire, I got less rolling resistance and is slightly faster on pavement. They are also less forgiving when it comes to rocks and ruts.

My street bike came with 23's. I still ride on a well maintained gravel trail--I just have to be more alert of loose gravel, larger gravel and branches.

My sister feels more "stable" on her 28's.

I feel it is an exchange of speed vs. durability/stability.

Eden
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
On tires the first number 700c, 26" etc is the wheel size that the tires fit on - it refers to the diameter of the inside of the wheel. The second number x21 x28 x32... is the width of the tire. Most rims can accept tires of more than one width, though there are limitations and you won't find any one rim that can take all sizes.

If you want wide tires with tread you can look for cyclocross tires which come in 700c sizes. Some manufactures make tires specifically for hybrid bikes too and offer some variety as well. Don't expect to walk into any bike shop and see 100's of different tires hanging up though. Ask and you'll probably be shown a catalog.

Catrin
03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the information - I had just noted that the Jamis Aurora comes with 700x32c tires while the LHT in my size comes with 26 inch tires (which I like). I was just considering what practical difference, if any, that might make in where the two bikes can go.

DebW
03-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the information - I had just noted that the Jamis Aurora comes with 700x32c tires while the LHT in my size comes with 26 inch tires (which I like). I was just considering what practical difference, if any, that might make in where the two bikes can go.

There should be minimal practical distinction in usefulness of 700x32 and 26" tires. You can find a variety of treads in each for on and off road. The bigger question is, does the bike fit you and does the geometry work for you. Did the manufacturer compromise the fit or handling to put 700c wheels on a particular frame size? If both are a good fit and geometry and equally suited to your purposes, then there is no significant difference for you in the choice of wheel size unless it might be tire availability or matching the wheel size of your touring partner to minimize how many extra tires and tubes you carry.

Catrin
03-08-2010, 03:49 AM
There should be minimal practical distinction in usefulness of 700x32 and 26" tires. You can find a variety of treads in each for on and off road. The bigger question is, does the bike fit you and does the geometry work for you. Did the manufacturer compromise the fit or handling to put 700c wheels on a particular frame size? If both are a good fit and geometry and equally suited to your purposes, then there is no significant difference for you in the choice of wheel size unless it might be tire availability or matching the wheel size of your touring partner to minimize how many extra tires and tubes you carry.

Thanks for this - I am making myself compare the Aurora with the Long Haul Trucker - I don't want a question remaining once I order the Surly next week :) Surly puts 26 inch wheels on the two <50cm sizes. I've yet to determine if the smallest Jamis Aurora would fit me, but it looks like a possibility.

Pity I can't actually take any of these for a test spin - they are available at local stores but in sizes 54cm or larger...

withm
03-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Well one thing to consider is that if you end up with one bike that takes 700C tires, and another with 26" you have to double your inventory of spare tires and tubes and keep track of them. That reason alone makes me want to standardize on 700C. Never a chance of grabbing the wrong size tube to stuff in my bag only to find out later when you have a flat that the tube is the wrong size.

tulip
03-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Catrin, I have not been following your Bike Search Epic...so can you remind me what kind of riding you intend to do with your new bike?

You really cannot go wrong with either bike, assuming the fit is good.

Catrin
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Well one thing to consider is that if you end up with one bike that takes 700C tires, and another with 26" you have to double your inventory of spare tires and tubes and keep track of them. That reason alone makes me want to standardize on 700C. Never a chance of grabbing the wrong size tube to stuff in my bag only to find out later when you have a flat that the tube is the wrong size.

This would happen anyway due to the size difference between my Trek and the Jamis (should I go that route) - though that is a good point.

Catrin, I have not been following your Bike Search Epic...so can you remind me what kind of riding you intend to do with your new bike?

You really cannot go wrong with either bike, assuming the fit is good.

It does kind of feel like an epic search :) I am certainly learning more about bikes and what I want in this process. I greatly appreciate everyone's advice! I imposed a 3-week waiting period on myself, to force myself to examine my options. Next week I finally get to order my new touring bike!

I need versatility - a bike that I can take touring, and also handle mountains/fire roads/and commuting when I feel like it. I pretty much settled on the Long Haul Trucker some time ago, but I wanted to really compare it with a similar bike before ordering it. I do like the Jamis as well.

I will work with the fitter at the LBS to help determine which of the two are the better fit - have given up on trying to test ride either of them. I would take the smallest size in either and no one seems to stock those sizes. Understandable.

lunacycles
03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Catrin,

Judging by the size of the pic of the bike on your avatar, I am assuming you are small. If I am assuming correctly, you will much more likely have a better fit on the bike with smaller diameter (26") wheels.

700 x 32c equals a large wheel diameter, quite a bit larger than even a standard 700c road wheel. Chances are, the frame will be designed to compensate for that larger wheel diameter, therefore putting a longer top tube on the frame, likely than any road bike they would make in that same size. This translates into a longer reach for the rider, which usually isn't a great thing for smaller riders. It also means a high front end height, which can be rather limiting for a shorter rider.
Surly got smart and started putting 26 inch wheels ( a smaller diameter wheel) on their smaller frames, so they didn't have to increase the bike's reach to accommodate the larger wheel. Therefore, it probably has a shorter top tube, and, chances are, that will work much better from a fit perspective for a smaller rider. Chances are, also, the front end height isn't as high, and, imo, if the reach is correct, this equals a better fit for the small of stature.

Catrin
03-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Catrin,

Judging by the size of the pic of the bike on your avatar, I am assuming you are small. If I am assuming correctly, you will much more likely have a better fit on the bike with smaller diameter (26") wheels.

Thank you, this is what I have been trying to figure out. Zen said that Jamis has a different geometry and it may be that they found a way to get around that with the smaller sizes. Someone in the same thread also asked about geometry with the smaller sizes with the 700 wheels.

The bike in the pic is the smallest size that Trek makes available for the 7.6, it is the 15 inch and the reach is a little much. I have already had a fitting for that bike but am considering taking it to another shop to see what other options there might be for me (the stem is already quite short).

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I need to make sure that I get the one that fits me the best this time :D