PDA

View Full Version : Spinning in the summer?

Catrin
03-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Is there a reason to attend spinning classes in the summer outside of rainy days? As the weather warms, and I look at my goals for the summer I am starting to consider my training schedule. My thought it just to reserve spinning for days when the weather is too bad to go out - but it seemed a good question to ask...

bmccasland
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Depends on if you live somewhere that it gets really bloody hot in the summer, considered "too hot to ride." When the heat index is over 110F (43C) in a humid climate, it's too hot to ride. Even 105 (40.5C) heat index is getting close to the "too hot to ride" mark. So I could easily see taking a spin class in the beastly hot summer months. Been there, done that. ;)

Catrin
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Depends on if you live somewhere that it gets really bloody hot in the summer, considered "too hot to ride." When the heat index is over 110F (43C) in a humid climate, it's too hot to ride. Even 105 (40.5C) heat index is getting close to the "too hot to ride" mark. So I could easily see taking a spin class in the beastly hot summer months. Been there, done that. ;)

I am from the South myself, and I've yet to see what I would call a terribly hot summer in Central Indiana - but that is relative until you reach the numbers you mentioned. This will be my 10th summer here, so hopefully my luck will hold. Sunburn, however, I have to be very careful with as I do not tan.

I was just debating going to one spinning class a week this summer - but couldn't come up with a reason outside of inclement weather.

Blueberry
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
If you enjoy it and it's an efficient workout for you, why not do it? I still ride my trainer when I get home late/have limited time to ride, etc. Sadly, during the week, I don't always have time to get outside and ride. Inside can be more efficient.

Catrin
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
If you enjoy it and it's an efficient workout for you, why not do it? I still ride my trainer when I get home late/have limited time to ride, etc. Sadly, during the week, I don't always have time to get outside and ride. Inside can be more efficient.

I do like it - but I like my bike better :) And with soon to have TWO bikes, well, there is only so much cycling time :p I do find the classes that I attend fun though, which will be nice on rainy days...

nscrbug
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I do spin classes year round...even during the summer. I do the majority of my road riding on the weekends. On weekdays, I don't have the time (unless I have a day off from work) to get a good ride in. So I hit the gym instead...and on two of those weekday mornings, there is a spin class...so I take it.

Dogmama
03-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Agree with 'bug. Plus, spin classes help me remember my skills like pedaling in circles, keeping my center of gravity over my saddle, etc. Those skills can get lost on the road if there are other factors like headwinds.

Plus, in Arizona if you aren't back by 8AM in the summer, it's too hot. In the afternoon, you can get second degree burns if you land on the pavement. :eek:

bmccasland
03-03-2010, 04:24 AM
OK - another reason. I don't get any coaching on riding form except when I've taken spin classes. Granted the ones I've taken lately have been in conjunction with MS training rides, so most of the instructors are MS-150 riders themselves, and are taking the opportunities to teach us how to tackle the hills better, or improve our riding overall. At least in spin class I can concentrate on riding form, and not worry about riding off the road.

That said, one of the worst spin classes I had was from an instructor who admitted she was a runner and not a cyclist, but had been teaching "spin" for years. It became very apparent that she didn't ride outside.

Catrin
03-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks, and this was what I was wondering but couldn't seem to word it right. I certainly need to continue focusing on form - and the nice thing about the spinning bike is it doesn't run off the road :) Perhaps it would indeed be a good thing to still schedule 1-2 spinning classes a week this summer- as long as I stick to the class where my personal trainer is the instructor (who is a competitive mountain biker).

I may have the very basics under control - like being able to ride in a straight line and not fall over, but I've a lot to learn before I can play in traffic (like a traffic safety course). I am currently looking for local trails that may not be so congested where I can ride and get more mileage/practice under my belt without having to tangle with cars too much yet.

indysteel
03-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Thanks, and this was what I was wondering but couldn't seem to word it right. I certainly need to continue focusing on form - and the nice thing about the spinning bike is it doesn't run off the road :) Perhaps it would indeed be a good thing to still schedule 1-2 spinning classes a week this summer- as long as I stick to the class where my personal trainer is the instructor (who is a competitive mountain biker).

I may have the very basics under control - like being able to ride in a straight line and not fall over, but I've a lot to learn before I can play in traffic (like a traffic safety course). I am currently looking for local trails that may not be so congested where I can ride and get more mileage/practice under my belt without having to tangle with cars too much yet.

Catrin,

When I started riding in 2006, I assumed that the Monon Trail was the best place for me. Sometimes it was (like in the middle of a weekday), but most of the time, it was much more stressful and required much better bike skills than riding on the average road. Even now, with a lot of miles under my belt, I much prefer to be on the road than on a MUT. Granted, I typcially stick to country or suburban roads, but even riding downtown is easier than the Monon.

Granted, I don't know what your current skills are, but my guess is that you'll find road riding to be a lot more intuitive than you assume it to be. Thankfully, while there are exceptions to this, cars are fairly predictable. Joggers, dogs, other cyclists, roller bladers, walkers, baby strollers and the like on MUTS are not. Assuming you follow the rules of the road, keep your eyes and ears open, make yourself visible and know how to ride in a straight, steady line, you might be surprised at how relatively easy it is.

IMO, a spin bike is only going to teach you so much about form. You're better off being on your bike. I, personally, don't spin after riding season starts. I ride enough in the spring/summer/fall that when there is bad weather, I take the rest it provides or go to yoga. In my further opinion, doing something like yoga or pilates on rest days makes you a better cyclist than another spin class likely will.

Just my two cents. I'm not trying to hurry you along past your point of comfort out on the road, nor am I trying to minimize the dangers that are out there, but from my own experience the learning curve is not as steep as you might think.

Catrin
03-03-2010, 05:50 AM
IndySteel,

Thanks for your take on this. From what I've seen/heard of the Monon I am less nervous about a low-traffic country road. The Monon gets quite congested and there are so many different things to watch out for outside of cars.

I've been checking out some public routes on mapmyride.com for the area to get some ideas once I get some off-trainer practice this weekend on the new SPD pedals :D :eek: :D Didn't you tell me that there is a trail that runs from your area down to Richmond? I am taking a week off work in mid-April to go play on my bike(s) :D

Crankin
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I agree with Indy. While I don't go to the gym anymore, the only time I ever went to spin in the summer was if it was pouring out or there was an air quality alert. I don't haul out my trainer now, either. Instead, I do yoga, core work, or go for a run/walk/hike in the rain.
If you have some fairly uncongested roads, you will be fine. I hate riding on paths for all the reasons Indy stated. In fact, it wasn't until last November that I actually rode on a path near my house. But, it was the middle of the week, in November!
I understand wanting to take the Road Safety course (very worthwhile), but try not to make riding too much of a "project." Like they say in the song, "get on your bike and ride!"

indysteel
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
IndySteel,

Thanks for your take on this. From what I've seen/heard of the Monon I am less nervous about a low-traffic country road. The Monon gets quite congested and there are so many different things to watch out for outside of cars.

I've been checking out some public routes on mapmyride.com for the area to get some ideas once I get some off-trainer practice this weekend on the new SPD pedals :D :eek: :D Didn't you tell me that there is a trail that runs from your area down to Richmond? I am taking a week off work in mid-April to go play on my bike(s) :D

A trail from Franklin to Richmond? There's a rather lengthy MUT out of Muncie (the Cardinal Greenway), and there's 4-mile MUT in Franklin; that's about all I know.

I know of a number of routes in the area where traffic is light. Granted, you may need to load your bike in the car, but it's doable. Come on down to Franklin, and I'll take you on a country route I do. On the typically Sunday, we might see a car or two. When I first started riding, I repeatedly did a route out of Zionsville. In no time, I was ready for just about any rode out there (well, minus those with hills)! You'll get there, but as Crankin' suggested, don't overthink it in the meantime. You'll do just fine!

Catrin
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
It may not come as a surprise that I can certainly overthink things :) Indysteel, I would love to ride with you some Sunday afternoon - get to learn new routes & meet someone from TE at the same time!

I live in Speedway and would love to know what routes you took in Zionsville - I am only about 15 minutes away. This weekend I am planning on hitting Eagle Creek. Johnson County is beautiful as well, so am looking forward to meeting you when my skills have progressed a little and we can get our schedules together.

I had you confused with someone else on TE. Someone east of Indianapolis had told me of a trail that goes down to Richmond.

WindingRoad
03-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Hi Catrin, did you say Westside? Me and the boyfriend and a small group of our friends ride out that way a LOT. We usually go through Eagle Creek Park then head out into the western country side. We aren't an aggressive group we like to have fun but we do cover a lot of mileage in a summer for sure. If you want to come sometime PM me and I'll give you my cell number. We usually get together on weekends due to everyone's work schedule.

Unfortunately the only time I find the Monon useful is in the middle of the week then its great.... no people I can go as fast as I like an no one cares :). The Monon does hook up with the Fall Creek trail past 38th street going south which is pretty when we aren't in flood stage. The Canal Tow Path is great for a mountain bike, it's a crushed stone and lots of fun. You can actually look up all the trail in Indy on the Greenways website if you are interested in that.

indysteel
03-04-2010, 05:48 AM
It may not come as a surprise that I can certainly overthink things :) Indysteel, I would love to ride with you some Sunday afternoon - get to learn new routes & meet someone from TE at the same time!

I live in Speedway and would love to know what routes you took in Zionsville - I am only about 15 minutes away. This weekend I am planning on hitting Eagle Creek. Johnson County is beautiful as well, so am looking forward to meeting you when my skills have progressed a little and we can get our schedules together.

I had you confused with someone else on TE. Someone east of Indianapolis had told me of a trail that goes down to Richmond.

Catrin,

The route that I did starts at 106th and Michigan. It's the route that Nebo Ridge (the bike shop at that location) has marked for its training ride. I didn't do the training ride; I just followed the route. The shorter route is about 18 miles and the longer route is 27 or so. If you stop into Nebo, they'll likely be able to give you a map, but the route is typcially marked with orange Dan Henrys that are a circle with an "N" in the middle. My guess is that they'll be re-marking it soon with the training riding starting up in April. There's not a lot of traffic on the route, and it's a great way to get used to riding on the road.

Catrin
03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Catrin,

The route that I did starts at 106th and Michigan. It's the route that Nebo Ridge (the bike shop at that location) has marked for its training ride. I didn't do the training ride; I just followed the route. The shorter route is about 18 miles and the longer route is 27 or so. If you stop into Nebo, they'll likely be able to give you a map, but the route is typcially marked with orange Dan Henrys that are a circle with an "N" in the middle. My guess is that they'll be re-marking it soon with the training riding starting up in April. There's not a lot of traffic on the route, and it's a great way to get used to riding on the road.

Thanks - The 106th street route sounds like a good "next step" out of Eagle Creek. When I am fully comfy with the new pedals and riding on streets I will contact you about a Johnson County ride :) I do know Nebo Ridge, that is where my Long Haul Trucker is coming from.

WindingRoad, that sounds great - and your ride starts at Eagle Creek which is kind of serving as my "cycling nursery" :) I will PM you later this spring and see when I can tag along! I just want to make sure that I am safe enough for others to ride around ;) Ride, Ride, Ride :D

ivorygorgon
03-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Another reason to spin: Interval training. I am a fairly new road rider (3 group rides now, I think), but I can tell you already that it is much more steady state riding than intervals.

Also, for me, spinning is just plain fun. I won't forsake spinning for road riding any time soon. Although I am planning on doing road rides during the week (before it gets too hot), when it stays lighter, I will still be going to my 3 weekly spin classes.