PDA

View Full Version : looking for an old apple powerbook/ibook charger

deeaimond
02-26-2010, 10:37 PM
actually i need two.

Does anyone have an old laptop that died and you have the old chargers lying around?

My sister's died the other day, and mine had a tear in the rubber wirey thingy and started burning the next day.

the laptops are still good and working but now we have no way to charge them.

These chargers are no longer in production and to special order them i'll need to pay Apple an arm and a leg. the way things are, the computer will die when i get my hands on the charger.

So I'm hoping someone has one (or two) lying around. I'll pay a nominal amt if you want, and definitely shipping.

cheers,
deeimond

Sylvia
02-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I'd check on ebay.

OakLeaf
02-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Make sure you know the wattage and type of connector you need. Apple has made several. In particular, they made different wattages with the same connectors, and if you get the wrong one, it could fry your computer.

deeaimond
02-27-2010, 06:13 AM
ah... its the 45watt one.

and yes i'm checking some local mac forums and ebay as well...

but thought i'd find someone here who had one and didn't want to throw it away.

KnottedYet
02-27-2010, 06:42 AM
They were so notorious for catching fire, I really don't think you're going to find any floating around extra. (my son's caught fire, too)

I can order them from my Apple store for $80. There are a couple other companies making chargers (which their websites say don't catch fire). I can't remember what they are, but I found them by googling "iBook charger".

Right now I'm in the situation of needing a new battery for my iBook, later I'll be looking for a new charger because mine is worrying me a bit.

deeaimond
02-27-2010, 06:47 AM
They were so notorious for catching fire, I really don't think you're going to find any floating around extra. (my son's caught fire, too)

I can order them from my Apple store for $80. There are a couple other companies making chargers (which their websites say don't catch fire). I can't remember what they are, but I found them by googling "iBook charger".

Right now I'm in the situation of needing a new battery for my iBook, later I'll be looking for a new charger because mine is worrying me a bit.

I have a connect for compatible batteries if you're interested.> i got one for my powerbook a few months before the accident (then my computer got damaged and insurance paid for a new Apple battery but i still use the compatible one i bought). and I paid about $120. It's really good, it looked exactly like the real thing. I'm still using it now, 2 yrs on. and it still charges up almost full.

I'll check at my apple store. Apple products outside the US are regularly 20% more expensive bleagh,,,

azfiddle
02-27-2010, 06:48 AM
I had to buy a new charger for my Macbook. I got it on ebay and it was only $22 but it is a Chinese knock-off- not genuine Apple. So far, so good- I've had it a month or so

Sharon