PDA

View Full Version : Solids or Prints

administrator
02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Are you a solid or a prints kind of gal? Are Sheila Moon's wild print tops just your thing, or do you prefer to stick to solids and color-blocks?

Thorn
02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Having just watched the Canari line come through on your RSS new product feed, I'm voting for prints, but.....I don't like Sheila Moon's prints nor do I like Terry's prints. However, but the Canari line made me scream "Boring!"

However, I love my multicolored jerseys. Yet, almost all of the patterns, tho, "say something"--they represent a larger picture instead of just repeats of a pattern.

OT -- the RSS feed of new products is just evil....really, really evil to tease us on a regular basis with new products....my pocket book will never be the same.

SadieKate
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Solid color for the most part, but I love wild armwarmers with a matching solid jersey. Like having a tattoo but not.

OakLeaf
02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Solid by preference... and on the bike, hi-viz.

I'd love a little bit of a pattern. But I guess anything even minimally visible is already too dorky for the manufacturers to bother trying to make it attractive. :(

ny biker
02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Both!

Red Rock
02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I would go with a mixture of both some how. I like the idea of a solid/Hi-Vis and wild arm warmers. I did like last years Shelia Moon stuff. Stock is not such that I could purchase now even:(. The pattern was more geometric instead of what I call "girly". I can not see myself in a lot of pink or flowers. I'm more light brown, and sage colors. Call them "natural" colors. Terry is a bit wild for me even. They tend to be on the geometric side. I do not understand how a car would see the cyclist in some of those jerseys.

I guess part of my thinking when purchasing is first visability, then practicalitiy. I hope this helps.

Red Rock

salsabike
02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I voted for solid/block, but I have to say that I love these jerseys also: Amici Veloci, and the two TE contest winners that I got last year--the watercolor and the flourishes. Love them.

Veronica
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I was going to vote solid color, but then I thought about my jerseys. The non- wool ones I wear all have a design, but it's not a pattern. I love my Amici Veloci jersey and my Little Red Riding Hood jersey. I thought really hard about getting all of last year's contest winners, but I really didn't need any more jerseys. :p

Veronica

Catrin
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't like geometric shapes, I dislike Sheila Moon's designs, but I love most of Primal's. For an example I love their Kokomo jersey but dislike the Sakura so I guess that I fall into the design but not pattern camp. Solids are fine, as long as they are vibrant and bright.

administrator
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
For purposes of the poll, patterns / prints / designs should all be treated as equivalent.

Solids / color block is things like solid color body with different color side panels, or sleeves -- ie blocks of (different colors of) solid colored fabric sewn together to create the jersey.

Thanks!

Angela
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I feel more athletic in solids but I love feminine colors.

Crankin
02-17-2010, 03:44 AM
I have both. But, I've switched from more solids to prints. Most of my prints are more of a design. I have one Sheila Moon LS jersey i love, but most of her stuff is too busy and girly for me. I don't really think too much about this and buy what ever hits me as nice.

Becky
02-17-2010, 04:02 AM
I have both, but I feel that solids/colorblock designs are more visible on the road. I don't do girly- my prints are all bold graphic designs or team jerseys.

Pedal Wench
02-17-2010, 06:23 AM
I voted for solids. But, like someone else mentioned, I love stuff with a design - a tribal graphic, or some of the Primal designs with a big, bold design. I even liked the older Trashy Cat jerseys that had just half a big sunflower - one design, not a repetitive, little pattern. I just hate things like the little flowers, swirls, bubbles, etc., of the Terry products -- too girly, too frilly.

SadieKate
02-17-2010, 07:20 AM
i voted for solids. But, like someone else mentioned, i love stuff with a design - a tribal graphic, or some of the primal designs with a big, bold design. I even liked the older trashy cat jerseys that had just half a big sunflower - one design, not a repetitive, little pattern. I just hate things like the little flowers, swirls, bubbles, etc., of the terry products -- too girly, too frilly.

you said it!

GLC1968
02-17-2010, 07:40 AM
You need an option to vote for both! I like variety, damn it! :p

Tamra
02-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Just gotta love the pig-pen food falling out of mouth, brushin-up against dirty things hiding capacity of some prints! Animal print goes with everything right?

Biciclista
02-17-2010, 08:42 AM
i like designs, Primal wear makes some really awesome ones. Bright colors, of course.
oh rats. i like color blocks a lot (voted for prints)

Pedal Wench
02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
you said it!

http://www.primalwear.com/images/Product/medium/SAP1J60W.jpg

as opposed to:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product_images/v2/1737/attr1/269/medium.jpg

Catrin
02-17-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.primalwear.com/images/Product/medium/SAP1J60W.jpg

That is exactly what I meant - I even have a hard time grouping designs and geometrics/color blocks in the same category... Give me a design or solid color any time!

SadieKate
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Pedal Wench, that's it exactly.

oz rider
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Pedal Wench has it. Plain or print is too simplistic. Most of my jerseys are plain but my all-time fave jersey has a bold pattern, white on black. I can't stomach the busy little prints that look like they have bits of carrot in them. No pink here either.

Aggie_Ama
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
My favorite jerseys have a bold print but not like Sheila Moon. I love primal wears jerseys, I have four and they are all great looking plus bright. Well except the black dragonfly one but that is for mountain biking. :) And of course the Amici Veloci is still one of my favorites.

salsabike
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Pedal Wench has it. Plain or print is too simplistic. Most of my jerseys are plain but my all-time fave jersey has a bold pattern, white on black. I can't stomach the busy little prints that look like they have bits of carrot in them. No pink here either.

Exactly how I feel also! And perfect examples in those two different jerseys.

Tuckervill
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
The poll numbers are split exactly even at this moment. weird.

Karen

bmccasland
02-18-2010, 05:43 AM
In the PedalWench survey - Jersey #1 over #2, hands down.

Don't like the fussy prints. I like Hawaiian prints, or poster type prints. In my jersey collection, I don't have any solids, so I had to pick "prints" over "solid". Unfortunately there are so many types of "printed" that it gets confusing.

See my avatar - I'm wearing my TdF sunflower jersey.

MomOnBike
02-18-2010, 07:12 AM
I voted for solid, but would take something like Pedal Wench's #1 jersey in a heartbeat. I'd describe it as a print that reads as a solid.

The wild, busy patterns are not for me. I'm quite big enough as it is now, darn it, I don't need my clothes making me look even bigger.

ETA: While we're on the subject, I also dislike large company logos all over jerseys. I'm not a racer, I'm not sponsored, and I am most definately NOT a mobile billboard for any company. (humph!)

Catrin
02-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I voted for solid, but would take something like Pedal Wench's #1 jersey in a heartbeat.

Indeed, I want this jersey NOW :) However I just purchased new lenses for my glasses, and a new pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses so it will have to wait...

Pedal Wench
02-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry Jeff for throwing off your survey! :) The first jersey I posted is a Primal Wear, and I'll wear almost anything they make. The second (which just turns my stomach) is Terry, and I would never, ever wear that. BUT, obviously, thousands of women do or they wouldn't make them. And judging by the split in the polls, half of us would too!

indysteel
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm mostly a solids type of a girl both on and off the bike. I have a few jerseys or tanks that have a bit of a design, but none of them are particularly crazy. I do like the jersey that PedalWrench provided a picture of. That's pretty cool.

I'm generally more interested in fit and visibility than the actual design. I really like the fit of Shebeest's Bellisima jersey and Terry's Eurohalter, so I more or less stick with them, assuming I like the design well enough. Shebeest used an animal print last year if I remember correctly that I passed on. I really liked the dragonfly that Primalwear used a couple year's back, but the tank fit me so poorly that I sent it back.

My only pet peeve in women's clothing is all the black. I don't get why so many jerseys and jackets are in black. I want a jersey or top that people are going to see.

zoom-zoom
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
My only pet peeve in women's clothing is all the black. I don't get why so many jerseys and jackets are in black. I want a jersey or top that people are going to see.

I have this same peeve with running clothes, too...why must so much Winter running gear be black? The last thing I want to do is blend-in with a dreary landscape.

I don't ever want a motorist to be able to say "but I didn't see her." If I am wearing a day-glo orange jersey or jacket that excuse just won't fly.

HillSlugger
02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I like both solids and prints, but I don't like Sheila Moon's prints.

Thorn
02-20-2010, 04:46 AM
And just when I'm in my Pedal Wrench agreement comfort zone, what comes across the RSS new product feed?????...a Terry busy-pattern that I actually like. OK, vote me just confused.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodTY_1122.html?utm_source=newProducts&utm_term=TY_1122&utm_campaign=datafeed_te&utm_medium=productLink

cricketk
02-20-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm not a racer, I'm not sponsored, and I am most definately NOT a mobile billboard for any company. (humph!)

THIS. People should have to pay me to go out in public branded like a billboard.

Selkie
02-20-2010, 05:29 AM
I usually don't like girly or childish prints/graphics.

My own jersey drawer is filled w/a diverse collection of prints, graphics, solids, etc. If something catches my eye, it's well made (excellent quality), has my pocket/no-elastic preferences, and I like it a lot, I'll buy it.

Owlie
02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't like busy prints, like that Jersey #2 that Pedal Wench posted. I like an overall design, not little repeating prints. I like Primal's designs, even though their sizing is not all that friendly to me. All but two of my jerseys are "prints", by the poll rules. One of the remainder is a color-block, the other is solid or near-solid.

MommyBird
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Solids or color block.
I like the ones with a contrasting inset at the sides of the waist.

I choose my colors for visibility. I would not wear dull green, black or brown. I only wear blue if it is bright or includes a hi-vis color block.
No colors that blend in with nature's background.

I prefer hot pinks. My strategy is that drivers will be extra careful if they know they are passing a female bicyclist. It gives me a sense of security. It may be a false one, but it works for me.

I also wear solid street clothes. Patterns are few and far between in my closet!

shootingstar
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
For cycling jerseys and even for most of my off-bike tops, I like solids or colour blocks. I would consider if had the money, a jersey with a fun cartoon or design that was executed well.

It is a change from a long time, when I would have been more receptive to overall prints for a top. My preferences for design, colour and style have become simpler as I age. It's almost as if I'm stripping my design desires to the core basics. :) I no longer want busy prints and too much fussy detail near my face.

Or the closest variation to solid colour, is 1 design in a focused area against a solid colour background.
Or 1 solid colour with an embossed or watermark like design in same colour, that is more faint, but not busy.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I love Sheila Moon prints. I like some prints and some designs.....but I also like solid colors. Often I mix a print with a solid item. I couldn't answer the poll because I'm not one or the other- I'm both.

One thing i detest like is strange abstract swirl designs just for the sake of having 'something' there. Yuk....like having to buy tissue boxes with busy designs on them that clash with everything in my bathroom, when all i want is a plain neutral colored tissue box. Same thing with paper towels...do I really NEED yet another visual 'busy pattern' in my kitchen? :cool:
Down with gratuitous design elements! :mad:

And logos/brand names?...don't even go there! LOL!
Between my seam ripper and my black magic marker I can arrange a lot of 'accidents' to logos. :D

tulip
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of Sheila Moon stuff, but I haven't really paid that much attention to it. Seems pastel and waify to me. It has not caught my attention, so I guess that says something.

My favorite jersey is one of the TE ones from last year's jersey contest. It's the red-on-red. I cannot remember the name of it. I like tone-on-tone. I also like solid and blocks and retro wool jerseys.

But the most important thing to me on the bike is visibility, not fashion.