PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to report "close calls"

nicolezoie
08-14-2005, 12:41 PM
...even if nothing other than rattled nerves happens?

I was about to make a left turn from one major road onto another, traffic was clear, so I proceeded to cross several lanes of (stopped) traffic to get into the left turn lane. As I'm trying to make the light, some dimwit in a minivan decides to start pulling into the turn lane RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I give a hearty "HEY" and they stopped. I made the light, and was 99 percent of the way up the hill, pausing for the light, when the same minivan caught up with me, slowed down and a passenger SCREAMED back at me, startling me and throwing me off balance a little. They laughed, and drove on down the hill.

I was *furious* and had actually had my cellphone in hand, ready to start dialing 911, but then it occurred to me that nothing *really* happened. I did get a good look at the van, the plate, and was about to report it, but... what good would it have done?

Another time, a dimwitted driver didn't use their turn signal, was driving erratically right near a freeway onramp. It was clear that *something* was up, but I was not certain of their next action. Suddenly they decided to turn onto the onramp right in front of me, causing me to lock my wheels. I came very close to going over the bars and onto the trunk of their car.

I feel so powerless when stuff like this happens. Is it worth it to report dangerous drivers? Or, do cops just blow you off as another annoying cyclist, and laugh at you over coffee & donuts?

Technotart
08-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I have been told to PLEASE report these - by police officers. They don't go get the guy necessarily, however if a cop pulls the person over at some point in the future these complaints do show up on the computer and the officer is less likely to be kind to the driver and give him a warning instead of giving him a ticket! If a driver amasses a couple of complaints, he may be sent a letter by some departments. Some police departments won't even take a report at all. Just depends on where you are.

If you CAN resport it, do. It may help statistics too...