PDA

View Full Version : Long vs. short

kjay
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
I've been biking for about four years now and have never worn shorts, nor will I ever wear shorts. I'd really appreciate hearing about any lightweight, long cycling tights that would work in warm/hot weather. I know this is silly, but I am really self-conscious about my legs. There must be something available that is good for warm weather? I'll probably get over this silliness some day, but for now I must deal with it however I can. Thanks in advance!

lb satterly
03-03-2003, 08:10 PM
No, its not silly, its where you are at and that's ok.How about knickers or skorts or relaxed fit shorts with bike shorts undereath. Terry makes all of these and I suspect other companies do too... I swore I'd never wear cycling shorts when I first started riding and now they are practically part of my identity. I like the way it feels to ride without my legs covered when temperature allows. My legs, varicosities and all, are beautiful to me because of what they can do. And believe me, by the beauty industry's standard, they would definately be a Glamour Don't. Their so called imperfections are battle scars from a life fully lived and a body well used.

goddess1222
03-04-2003, 09:11 AM
hey lb satterly, very well said. BRAVO.!!!!

lb satterly
03-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks, godess1222.

MightyMitre
03-11-2003, 08:25 AM
yes - well said lb satterly

Kjay - ever seen balding ,overweight, sweaty, 50 year old men in all-in-one lycra skin suites standing round in groups at the end of a race ( or is this just in England!!! :D) )

I thought I'd feel self conscious wearing shorts, especially as cycling is such a male dominated sport here in the UK. But standing next to blokes like the ones above, can't fail to make even the most out of shape/self-conscious women feel like a total goddess.

It worked on me, and to be honest ,most men I know involved in cycling are so obsessed with wheels, group sets, chains and other bike bits they probably wouldn't even notice if I turned up butt-naked.

Try some loose shorts with an insert - one of the things I most like about riding in the summer is those first few rides when it's actaully warm enough to uncover your legs and feel the warm air blowing past them. I love it and I swear it makes me go faster :D

missliz
03-11-2003, 10:07 PM
I'll tell you a secret- nobody is noticing your flaws but you. Every body else thinks you look fine. But you should be comfortable, so look at Terry. I love their knickers. Also, if you ever do take the plunge into shorts, most of them are crummy lightweight fabric. I like Blackbottoms, double weight powerlycra that supports your muscles and hides a multitude of so called sins. Shoves that cellulite right back into shape. Those Terry skirt things are good too, and come in several lengths.
This is like the leg stubble dilemma- two hours of light, 90 degrees (no tights today), shave or ride? Can't fit both in. In ten years nobody has ever noticed the stubbly thing. Did somebody say something ugly about your apearance? Screw'em. It had nothing to do with how you look, just their tinyness of character.

missliz

More to the point- I don't know what kind of temperatures you have out there, but full length tights over 65 degrees is asking for heatsickness. They're black, remember, and in the summer sun you'll cook. Look at the knickers, still kinda warm but once you get heatsick some people never quite get over it.

KTeach
04-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I hate bike shorts that end 5 inches above my knee and make my thigh flab squish out! SO ... I LOVE Teryy T-Short LONGS! They are about 10-11 inches long and hit just above the knee. The fabric is soft and leg grippers aren't too tight. They are definitely worth the $$$. They seem to run true to size and can be ordered from Terry, Estorgen, Piermont Bike... etc.

missliz
04-12-2003, 11:17 PM
I thought about this, and what might work is to use shorts or chamois containing undergarments (Terry, Nashbar) and use running tights over them. The fabric is lighter weight and they come in colors, so you could avoid heatstroke. They're on sale this time of year, I just got some really fancy Fila ones in the mens dept. at Marshalls for ten bucks. Blue and orange, our team colors, with mesh ventilation panels on the back of the knees. Maybe this would work for you? The choices of fabric are really varied, there's lots of running tights around. You could be covered and comfortable.
In the winter down here we go out in shorts and tights over, then take'em off when it gets warm, so I know the two layer thing works well.

missliz

kjay
04-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Thank you everyone for your most helpful postings about wearing shorts or tights. I have gotten some great ideas from you all and appreciate it very much. Thanks also for pointing me in the right direction for places to buy good shorts/tights. :)