PDA

View Full Version : New to spinning/cycling

Christina098red
02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am brand new and looking for some pointers. :D Let me start by saying that I have never really been into cycling indoors or outdoors because I found it so painful. I just cannot seem to find a seat that works with me. I took a spinning class years ago and felt bruised on the inside of my sitting bones for weeks--I was 5'6" 140.

Now my hubby is really into cycling. He absolutely loves it and rides his bike to work quite often. I would like to be into it as well but find it painful. He does not have this problem at all. Is this just a women's issue?

I took a spin class with him a few days ago and LOVED it! BUT again, same painful issue. As soon as I sat on the seat I was aware of it being uncomfortable but was able to overcome it (mind you I have a memory foam cover on it too) and enjoy the ride--That was until the end. Towards the end it really started to hurt in the usual spot. The class incorportated a lot of standing, which was good because I don't think I would have been able to make it otherwise. Anyway, I now weigh 100 pounds more than I used to and am really worried that I won't be able to find a balance. It has been 3 days since the class and I am still very sore. Is this something that will just go away with time or get worse? Should I try a gel seat? Am I sitting too far forward or back? The spin bikes we're using are fully adjustable.

Any ideas?

TIA!

-Christina

rachelroo
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
sometimes having all that extra stuff on your saddle hurts more than it helps. There is more surface space for it to rub against. It sounds counter intuitive but It really could be that you need a better fitting saddle (it sounds like you are using your own). Make sure that you aren't spinning so fast that you are bouncing, as that's a sure way to get sore down there. that's my advice.
-Rachel

indysteel
02-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Are you wearing cycling (padded) shorts? If not, I'd suggest that as a starting place. The saddles on spin bikes are never terribly comfortable, but with cycling shorts, you should be able to handle an hour long (or even longer) class without too much pain. It otherwise does take some time to toughen up your butt.

TE has a a good selection of shorts for all shapes and sizes. So, too, does Terry (although I think TE actually carries Terry shorts). You don't have to buy the top of the line, but I wouldn't buy the cheapest either. There is, IME, a big difference between quality and cheap shorts.

Finding the right saddle for a road bike is usually a matter of trial and error. There are ways (just do a search) to measure your sits bones to determine how wide of a saddle you need to get. Don't assume that just because your hips or butt are wide (or narrow) that your sits bones are the too.

If you're feeling a lot of pain or pressure along your labia, then a saddle with a cut out might be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd go with something that doesn't have a lot of padding. Believe it or not, more cushion does not translate to more comfort.

Finally, I'd mention that saddle comfort is also a function of bike fit. So, if you have a road bike or are contemplating one, take the time to get it set up properly such that you're balanced properly fore and aft, with the saddle at the appropriate height.

artifactos
02-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Are you wearing cycling shorts or just regular gym shorts/pants without a chamois? Wearing cycling shorts might help!

Aaaahhh, four minutes too late to the party! Oh well! :)