PDA

View Full Version : "Quick Jumps"

dinabean
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I've been going to classes taught mostly by the same gal (who is a triathlete and roadie first, personal trainer and spin instructor second. LOVE HER!) but this week I couldn't make the regular class and had to go to a different one. One of the things this new instructor did was a lot of in and out of the saddle: On single counts, she would have people stand, lean forward, go back to straight/hands on 2, and sit. I just didn't do it, and kept up a standing climb instead, because I felt like an uncoordinated fool trying to go up and down that quickly.

First, is this the kind of move I have heard referred to here as "quick jumps"? If not, is there a different name for it?

And second, no matter what it is called, is this something I would have to do in real life? I mean, should I be practicing this quick up and down, or not worry about it? My fitness goals are to get better at riding outdoors, and I am planning on doing a sprint triathlon in May.

Thanks!

Zen
02-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Quick jumps will get your heart rate up/improve cardio ability and burn more calories but will also use up the glycogen stored in the muscle. You'll be pooped for the rest of the class.
I don't do them either.

indysteel
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Some of my spinning instructors do these, too. They typically refer to them as jumps. I rarely do them. Regardless of whether they relate to anything I actually do while riding, they just bother my knees a bit too much.

Raindrop
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Quick jumps are contraindicated and shouldn't be a part of indoor cycling classes. Most certifications do allow for jumps or lifts, but they're supposed to be controlled and no up and down like a friggin' bunny.

Jumps are considered to be an advanced move and have their place when taught correctly (meaning with adequate resistance and in a controlled manner). It's wise not to do anything that doesn't feel right to you.

Dogmama
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I like jumps and I teach them frequently. I always go from seated to second position only. It sounds like the OP's instructor had her going from seated to second to third. I think that is an advanced move and not necessary in a normal class.

I also make sure I have at least four pedal strokes in each position. If I have some speed demons, I'll challenge them with two pedal strokes but I have to make sure they're experienced.

TrekTheKaty
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
I find one & two-count jumps just useless. Everybody gets lost and my pedal stroke slows way down. However, my current instructor is doing 4-count jumps. This is challenging without a lot of flailing. Gets my heart rate up and strengthens my core.

Zeek
03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I teach jumps to the riders but encourage them to jump at their own pace. They are like doing mini intervals. They can speed up out of saddle or in, and then slow pace back to "base pace" when they want to recover. As in all cases in a spinning class, you have to have a reasonable amount of gear on the flywheel or you just ain't doin' the work. The flywheel is. :rolleyes:

LindaBean
09-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I live for quick jumps!!