PDA

View Full Version : Sports Nutritionist

kacie tri-ing
01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
So....I have been on WW since October, and I have been really happy with it. At the beginning of the month, I started the first wave of Ironman training. Combining all that training with the points, I kept making mistakes with my fueling.

So, I am going to see a sports nutritionist on Friday (I am also vegetarian), and I am so excited.

I use a coach for my training, and my coach has used (and liked) this nutritionist, so I feel good about her. I just wanted to share. Any stories/advice/questions I should ask?

michelem
01-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds great! :D

Do what you can to create a food journal for the 10 days prior to your appointment. Most nutritionists want at least a 3-day journal, but 10 days gives an even better overview. If possible, include how you felt on those days (pooped out 30 minutes into training, or, stomach cramps while running, or whatever). Be as detailed as possible regarding your intake (liquid, solid, and supplements), your exercise, and your feelings (physical and emotiona). This will help the nutritionist pinpoint things for you to tweak/try, etc.

Let us know how it goes. :)

kacie tri-ing
01-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Thanks!

I saw her, and it was really great. I am a vegetarian, have lost some weight using ww, and I am ironman training. She has me eating far more often, and WAY more protien than I have probably ever eaten. Started it friday, and I already feel more "even" as far as energy goes. I look forward to seeing how it works!

michelem
02-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Sounds great! Keep us posted. :)

OakLeaf
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Kacie, what does she have you doing for protein? Just more vegetables? I really struggle to get enough protein if I don't eat fish.

kacie tri-ing
02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, in all honesty, I will each fish sometimes, and not suprisingly, she encouraged that!

My protein choices are: egg whites, seafood, low/non fat dairy ( milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, hard cheese, greek yogurt), whey isolate protein powder (in oatmeal/smoothies/cooked into homemade protein bars) limited soy products, and almond/rice milk. She actually has beans as my high quality carbohydrate choice.

What do you eat to up the protein?

OakLeaf
02-09-2010, 08:18 AM
What do you eat to up the protein?

... fish. :o And sometimes (once every couple of months) grass-fed local beef and pastured local poultry.

I know I need to radically change my breakfast habits to be able to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. I do pretty much okay at dinner. Adding some nuts to my traditional American breakfast (grain and fruit) has helped, but it's not nearly enough.

I already radically changed my breakfast habits about five years ago, by eating breakfast at all. And I know I can't do a lot of cooking first thing in the morning. Maybe I just need to start having dinner leftovers for breakfast as well as lunch...

kacie tri-ing
02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Hmmm...I've thought about expanding to some responsible meat, but I just can't do it. I am eating breakfast smoothies now with protein powder, and then a couple hours later greek yogurt (15g of protein and no fat!), and I have been making home made protein bars (which are yummy!)

Pedal Wench
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I can't drink regular milk (lactose intolerant), and due to increased risk of breast cancer, have to limit my soy intake. :( I loved my soymilk and cereal for my daily breakfasts. I've been looking at rice and almond milks, but they don't seem to have much, if any, protein. Are there brands that have protein added? Any that you can recommend?

nolemom
02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Would you mind sharing your recipe for the protein bars? I'm trying to buy less processed foods and would love to have an option for my long rides.

Veronica
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Is there a protein powder out there without any fake sugar - no sucralose, no stevia, no fake sweetners at all. Please don't tell me stevia is not really fake. It tastes fake to me. :-)

Veronica

OakLeaf
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Actually I rarely see a protein powder (as opposed to meal replacement drinks) that's sweetened.

Brands I've used:

Nutiva (http://www.nutiva.com/products/0_protein.php) hemp protein (with or without added fiber)
Nutribiotic (http://www.nutribiotic.com/organic-rice-protein-plain-3lb.html) rice protein
Peaceful Planet rice protein powder (can't find a label online...)

kacie tri-ing
02-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Well, I am using a cheaper kind :), but Hammer nutrition says:

One more point about whey protein: for a supplement, make sure you use whey protein isolate, not whey protein concentrate. Whey protein isolate is virtually lactose and fat free; many lactose-intolerant people can still use whey protein isolate because it contains only a miniscule amount of lactose. Also, whey isolate checks in at a sturdy 90-97% protein by volume, whereas whey concentrate runs only 70-80% protein by weight. Simply put, whey protein isolate is a purer protein, and the best protein you can put into your body after a hard workout, which is why HAMMER WHEY is comprised of whey protein isolates only.

I looked at the ingredients for the unflavored, and it doesn't have any sweeteners!

kacie tri-ing
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
V-I know you cut WAY down on sugar, do you take in any now? Any natural ones?

Veronica
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Oh I defintely eat some sugar still. I have a major sweet tooth. :p My days of four Red Bulls and a Snickers bar are gone though. I just try to make it all count instead of being overkill.

Artificial sweetners mess with head and taste funny so I avoid them.

Veronica

arielmoon
02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Actually I rarely see a protein powder (as opposed to meal replacement drinks) that's sweetened.

Brands I've used:

Nutiva (http://www.nutiva.com/products/0_protein.php) hemp protein (with or without added fiber)
Nutribiotic (http://www.nutribiotic.com/organic-rice-protein-plain-3lb.html) rice protein
Peaceful Planet rice protein powder (can't find a label online...)

I am stalking you OakLeaf!

I am vegan and since I eat a good deal of soy products (Mostly tofu and soy cheeses) I wanted other sources of protein powder. I have tried Hemp and I like that in my THRIVE receipe pancakes but I really like Olympian Labs Pea Protein. (http://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Labs-Protein-1000-grams/dp/B001FAF4WI)

Also, I drink Tru-Food Vegan (http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Food-Vegan-Berry-2-2-lbs/dp/B00276BKBS)and get 24g of protein per serving. It has a mixed source of protein including pea and hemp. Tru-Food Vegan is alkaline-forming, made with 70% organic ingredients, and is free of most common allergens (such as milk, soy, wheat, gluten). It also provides complete protein and is an excellent source of antioxidants. Omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and dietary fiber.

It is rather thick though if you dont like that.

OakLeaf
02-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Here's what I was thinking of the other day: Garden of Life Raw Protein (http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/RAWProtein/tabid/1894/Default.aspx). It's not cheap, but I was really impressed with the ingredients. I brought some home today. It's powdery, a little chalky, tastes pretty much like pea protein but blends a bit easier. Will see how I feel in a few hours. ;)

colby
02-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Kacie,

It's been a couple weeks since your first visit - how are you feeling now? :)

I'm thinking of finding a good sports nutritionist, too, it's encouraging to see someone succeeding. More than a coach, I think I need a nutritionist. I don't really eat crap, I think my problem is that I don't eat enough of the right stuff or eat often enough. Need some help to solve this problem. ;)

Possegal
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of finding a good sports nutritionist, too, it's encouraging to see someone succeeding. More than a coach, I think I need a nutritionist. I don't really eat crap, I think my problem is that I don't eat enough of the right stuff or eat often enough. Need some help to solve this problem. ;)

I'm right there with you! I'm hoping to find one as well. I'm meeting with a trainer tomorrow, which I also need. But then I'm hoping he can recommend a good sports nutritionist.

bikerHen
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Kacie,

It's been a couple weeks since your first visit - how are you feeling now? :)

Hey Colby, If you find a good one let me know. I've been looking around but haven't had much luck. :o bikerHen

colby
02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey Colby, If you find a good one let me know. I've been looking around but haven't had much luck. :o bikerHen

Here I was hoping you'd come with a recommendation ;)

A friend of mine and I checked out the metabolic institute but didn't get much past calling and getting a feel for their services. They seemed disorganized and uninterested in helping or making recommendations over the phone (it was all pretty matter of fact - we were going for more like "this is what we want, can you do that, and in what order, and how much would it cost" but just got "these are the services we offer, call back if you want an appointment"). Could just be the office staff, but it would take personal recommendations from others for me to get beyond that.

Haven't shopped around beyond that. I know of nutritionist services elsewhere that are, well, for people who want to go on a diet and discuss vitamins and supplements, not people who want the sports nutrition angle. I don't really want to be someone's experiment. ;)

I'll be sure to post again if I get any farther.

bikerHen
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Colby, I wouldn't recommend the metabolic institute. I tried them a few years back. Not real helpful in the nutrition department. PM me if you want more details. bikerHen

Pedal Wench
02-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Kacie, Skini-M and Denny (and anyone else in Atlanta!)

We're hosting a nutrition clinic tomorrow night -- I'll be there, and maybe y'all can make it!

Sorella Nutrition Clinic
Nutrition for Training, Racing and Recovering
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
6:30-7:30pm

Sorella will be hosting a clinic on nutrition for cycling by Namrita Kumar O’Dea, MS, RD, LD on Tuesday evening, February 23, from 6:30-7:30pm

Location: We will meet in Namrita’s office which is in the same building as the new location of Georgia Sports Chiropractic. Here is a map and address: http://georgiasportschiropractic.com/directions.htm

There is a parking garage on the corner of West Peachtree and 4th St. Bring your parking ticket in with you and you can get it stamped at the office.

For more information about Namrita, see her bio at: http://www.namritaodea.com/bio.html

Information about her company is available at: http://www.55nine.com/nutrition.html

kacie tri-ing
02-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Pedal! Thanks! I have a cycling class then, otherwise, I would come! Enjoy, and tell us what you learn!

Colby--it has been going really well. I feel like I have been learning a TON! My weight dropped really fast in the beginning, and then it has bounced around (up and down). More importantly, I have had more energy and felt less hungry all of the time! I have shifted to eating 5-8 times a day, every 2-3 hours, TONS more protein, and really thinking about my sports nutrition. I am going to go back for my third visit soon. It is also really nice to have someone to ask questions and call when I feel confused (or frustrated or excited!).

I like having someone local, but I really like seeing someone face to face when working on my training!

vness
03-26-2010, 03:08 AM
Hmmm...I've thought about expanding to some responsible meat, but I just can't do it. I am eating breakfast smoothies now with protein powder, and then a couple hours later greek yogurt (15g of protein and no fat!), and I have been making home made protein bars (which are yummy!)

Hi... did you ever post your protein bar recipe? Would love to try it.
thanks
namaste,
v

kacie tri-ing
03-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi... did you ever post your protein bar recipe? Would love to try it.
thanks
namaste,
v

You are right! I didn't! Here it is!
Ingredients

* 4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
* 2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
* 2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
* 3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 and 1/2 cup dried fruit
* 1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
* 1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
* 4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
* 2 large whole eggs, beaten
* 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
* Canola oil, for pan

Directions

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Now, here are my variations--
I have done chocolate whey powder and cherries for the fruit (this is DH's favorite).

I have used vanilla whey with cashew butter and dried blueberries and apples (might be my favorite!).

Then I want to try strawberry whey with blueberries and almond butter.

I have also started substituting splenda for the brown sugar.

Once I have the ingredients just sitting around, it's really easy!

vness
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
You are right! I didn't! Here it is!
Ingredients

* 4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
* 2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
* 2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
* 3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 and 1/2 cup dried fruit
* 1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
* 1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
* 4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
* 2 large whole eggs, beaten
* 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
* Canola oil, for pan

Directions

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Now, here are my variations--
I have done chocolate whey powder and cherries for the fruit (this is DH's favorite).

I have used vanilla whey with cashew butter and dried blueberries and apples (might be my favorite!).

Then I want to try strawberry whey with blueberries and almond butter.

I have also started substituting splenda for the brown sugar.

Once I have the ingredients just sitting around, it's really easy!

Thank you SO MUCH... these look delicious!

violette
03-29-2010, 03:44 AM
here in Canada we use metric; Isn't 4 ounces 1/2 cup? 8 ounces is 1 cup.

vness
03-29-2010, 03:59 AM
here in Canada we use metric; Isn't 4 ounces 1/2 cup? 8 ounces is 1 cup.

good catch... yes... 8oz =1cup / 4oz =1/2

thanks..... I guess it'll be trial and error LOL

namaste,
v

OakLeaf
03-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I try not to use "ounces" because it's both a unit of weight and of liquid volume.

Eight fluid ounces is one cup. Two tablespoons are one fluid ounce. Dry ingredients are not usually measured using fluid ounces. The measurements for dry ingredients that Kacie had in the original recipe are measurements of weight. Must've been originally converted from a British or European recipe.

Sixteen ounces avoirdupois is one pound. Packages of pasta, cereal and other dry goods in the USA are usually labeled in pounds and ounces avoirdupois.

When it's water - or any other liquid with a specific gravity of 1 or close to it - it doesn't matter. In the same way that a liter of water weighs one kilogram, a fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce avoirdupois. Not necessarily for other substances.

All clear now? :cool: That's why I try not to use "ounces." :p

ETA: My favorite conversion site (http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking). There's a pull-down menu for many common ingredients to convert measures of weight to volume and vice versa. It looks like the original recipe has done the conversion properly (if roughly) from ounces avoirdupois to cups. If you're used to measuring dry ingredients by weight as they do in Europe - I'm not sure about Canada - I'd stick with the original measurements and just convert the ounces avoirdupois to grams.

GLC1968
03-29-2010, 08:30 AM
See, and I love it when a recipe includes ounces (or grams) so that I can weigh my ingredients and get the right amount every time. :D

Kacie - in that recipe, are the weights the correct measurement, or are the cups the right ones?

kacie tri-ing
03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I use the cups and it turns out really well.

I just made a new batch and included a few dark chocolate chips :p Yum!

katluvr
03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Congrats on finding a sports nurtitionist. I tried a few years ago...when I was regularly training for some event and still could not lose weight (and still haven't). I found it very hard to find one, then they were all too busy. One referred me to one of her "clients" that was training for an IM and was also a nutritionist. She was a sweet young thing but not what I need. The days I ate "best" were always the days that I had a lean cuisene pizza for dinner...really now!
I feel I "know" what to do, but I am so inconsistent. But then I again I not sure I really do know what to do!
As for your recipe...cal, pro,carb, fat per serving...do you have that?

michelem
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I plugged the ingredients into nutritiondata.com and came out with the following for the ENTIRE RECIPE (divide by how many servings you cut it into to get your per serving breakdown):

3488 calories
1173 calories from fat
128g fat (24g saturated)
Cholesterol 423mg
Sodium 2754mg
Total Carbohydrate 445g
Dietary Fiber 51g
Sugars 261g
Protein 200g
Total Omega 3: 947mg
Total Omega 6: 8639mg

45% carbs/34% fats/21% protein

Of course, this is just an estimate, depending on what ingredients you end up using. I plugged in the generic soy protein isolate, Kirkland (Costco) brand organic creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup each dried raisins, cranberries, and apples, 1 T of canola oil for the pan . . .

The Omega 3:6 ratio is isn't that great (1:9), and the sugar seems high to me, but there you have it! :)

kacie tri-ing
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
If you switch the brown sugar for splenda and the peanut butter for almond butter I think it improves both of those issues. Don't you think?

michelem
03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
If you switch the brown sugar for splenda and the peanut butter for almond butter I think it improves both of those issues. Don't you think?

The sugar goes down about 100 grams (for the entire recipe), which is good.

Almonds do not have a good Omega 3:6 ratio though, so this substitution is actually WORSE (1:18):

Omega 3: 1666mg
Omega 6: 29767mg

kacie tri-ing
03-29-2010, 10:26 AM
HA! Opps :p I mix it up every time I've made them! I did cashew butter, and that was awesome

michelem
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Oops! I messed up and entered two large egg whites, rather than two large whole eggs. So, I edited the data in the original recipe to reflect that . . .