PDA

View Full Version : When did you start riding after delivery?

alayni
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
So there's a fun upcoming ride in Wine Country (Tour d' Organics) that's scheduled for a month or less after I deliver my first baby. My question for all you cycling mothers--how soon after delivery did you get back on a bike? Am I crazy to even think about doing this? There's a 16 mile and 35 mile option that look fairly easy and flat (I don't plan on riding fast--just leisurely to enjoy the sights). Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wahine
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
As soon as I could get the bike out of the box and built up.;););)

Seriously, it depends on what your cycling fitness is like now and what it's like that month before you deliver. Also, whether or not you can even tolerate the pressure on your peritineum after the delivery. If you chose to do it, I would definitely pick the 16 miler.

Other practical things to consider... Who will care for the baby while you ride? What about breast feeding?

I am not a Mom, just a healthcare person. So I'll defer to all the great Mom's out there to point out the millions of things that I would never even think of that might be an issue.

alayni
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
As soon as I could get the bike out of the box and built up.;););)

Seriously, it depends on what your cycling fitness is like now and what it's like that month before you deliver. Also, whether or not you can even tolerate the pressure on your peritineum after the delivery. If you chose to do it, I would definitely pick the 16 miler.

thanks Wahine. I have a feeling that building up slowly after delivery is probably a good goal for me. The longer course has better options for snacks and scenery and that's what I was eyeing---you see my priorities!

KnottedYet
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I think it was about 6 months before I got on the bike, and about a year before I was riding anything even approaching the way I had been.

We did not have a fun delivery.

Your best bet is to ask your OB-GYN after delivery.

sfa
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
About nine years. :o

I had a very difficult delivery with my first, and didn't begin to feel even vaguely normal again until about six weeks later. I couldn't sit down comfortably for three weeks, and my tear took much longer than that to heal. I can't imagine getting on a bike in that condition. Add that to a bit of PPD, mastitis, and serious sleep deprivation and I could barely manage to get my teeth brushed and hair washed most days!

Second baby was MUCH easier. Easier, shorter delivery, short recovery, easier baby to care for as a newborn. I would have considered a 16 mile ride a month after his birth, but not a 35 miler. Childbirth is hard work and caring for a newborn is intense. Of course everyone is different, but you don't want to overdo anything. Make sure that whatever you do, you get your OB/gyn to o.k. it in advance.

Sarah

northstar
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I think I was riding about three weeks after delivering DD. Nothing fast or strenuous, but I was able to get on my townie bike and do a couple of errands.

It totally, totally depends on how your delivery goes.

Just trust your body when it comes to getting back to things, and take it easy on yourself! It won't be the same for a while! :)

msincredible
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Subscribing...I'm due end of July. :)