PDA

View Full Version : The will to carry on.. An LBS Owners tale.

Running Mommy
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I know I've whined before to you ladies about this. But last week we very nearly closed our doors.
We were hit with bank fraud in November and December, sales were horrible in December, and January wasn't looking very promising. We have run cash poor since the begining, so there is no cash reserve we can tap into in an emergency.
It also didn't help that it seemed like very customer who walked in the door expected us to give them a bike at wal mart prices, or were complete nut cases. I mean seriously we would look at each other and say "why are we doing this again??!"
So when faced with mounting bills and little cash we were ready to throw in the towel.
We had a consultation with an attorney, and when he laid everything out we just couldn't bear to see the bike shop just go away. When he talked about liquidation my lip quivered, and running hubby saw the tears well up in my eyes. This was our "plan B", our dream. And if we let it go, we would be left with nothing.
I had a pit in my stomach and didn't eat for two days. I was a mess. I just kept thinking about all of those that we would let down if we closed. I felt guilty actually. How would I tell them? Could I face them? I just wanted to crawl in a hole, and actually at that moment I thought to myself "now I can see why people commit suicide over business and money stuff".

And then my brother stepped in. He has been in business for himself since he was 21. He offered to buy the business from us, but keep us on to run it. His company is in a much better position, so there is a better chance at aquiring cash the shop needs to become healthy again.
I can't tell you how much it means to me that he would be willing to help me out like that. He is my younger brother, and we have always been close. But this is the ultimate show of brotherly love. He helped us with the build out of the new space last May, and mentioned that he would love to invest in it. He saw our customer base, and the potential. He saw how hard we work, and what we bring to the shop everyday.
I felt like a weight had been lifted. But sales were still slumping and I couldn't help but wonder if it was worth it. I didn't want to put my brother through everything just to decide in 6 months that the business really isn't viable, and should close.
This past weekend running hubby and I ran the shop solo. On Saturday it started with the first 3 people in the door asking for a "cheap" mountain bike..
Ugh... My pit was growing again. And then it started to get better. We had no bike sales that day, but we had a ton of quick service work, tire changes, adjustments etc. And people started thanking us for our quick service. It seemed like one compliment led to another. It was a great day that gave me hope. Sunday and Monday were a lot of the same.
I was starting to realize that I really did need to put on my "big girl panties" and resolve that I CAN and WILL do it! We CAN survive, and that we have to!

And then this morning I saw this on my facebook wall. It comes from a customer, turned friend, turned family (we have a LOT of those!)

"Thanks for everything over the last year. If I hadn't discovered the shop and bicycling again I don't know where I would be, that was one of the lowest points in my life with the separation and all. Just remember you sell more than bicycles to some people. "

If that doesn't give me the will to carry on, I don't know what will?!

So off I go, getting ready for inventory, taxes, and all that not so fun stuff that comes with business ownership. But "stuff" that will allow me to carry on the mission to make the lives of others better.

In the end, I guess the moral of the story would be..
If you have a mom and pop shop that you love, give them a compliment. You never know. They may be masking pain behind that cheery smile they give you every time you walk in the door. And it's the little things that mean the most!

spokewench
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Running MA! I'm so glad you decided to try to keep it going. It is rough and times are tough, but I have faith that with your good attitude, good things will come.

Hang in there!

spoke

azfiddle
01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
So sorry to hear what a challenging time this has been for you. I have never been part of a business, so I can only imagine the amount of work you must need to put in. Every time you have described your shop, it sounds like a wonderful place though.

I live in Tucson, and although we don't go to the Phoenix area often, my husband and I have talked about stopping by sometime, (though we won't be shopping for any bikes right now).

I hope the arrangement with your brother will give you the chance to make the business a real success. Hang in there!

Sharon

ridebikeme
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm glad to hear that you have some options !! It certainly is a tough time, and there are many people/business out there with the same issues. Although , I think until people are in the same position, it certainly is hard to understand and realize what truly goes on when things are that difficult.

The world as a whole is not that stable, and I think it will take some time for everyone to get back on their feet. The structure of business has changed and will continue to change, and those that are willing and able to adapt will be on much better footing.

Good luck with everything, and I hope the added investment will help with all of the financial problems. What's even more important is the relationship with friends and your family!! Those are the things that are priceless!!

sundial
01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Just remember you sell more than bicycles to some people.

I can't see the screen for the tears.

mtbdarby
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
RM, I am happy also to see you with options during these times. Keep up the good work both the physical and the unseen. Most importantly to me it seems, is that you and you're family are just great people. May 2010 be a great year all around!

lunacycles
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
As a former LBS owner/manager, I know how hard it is to keep the doors open, even when the economy is good! Good luck to you...it is clearly your passion to see this thing through.

ginny
01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
running mom,

good on you! In the end, the loyal customers don't come looking for Wal Mart deals. They recommend other people to go to your shop and ... the end of the recession comes and all is well. You'll soldier through. I'm so glad to hear that your brother is willing and able to invest capital. For all the grief our families give us; they do always seem to be there when we need them ;)

kermit
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Good things happen to good people. If you were in it for the money people would know it and never come back. You have a huge extended family and I wish I lived in your town. I wish you all the success in the world. My husband and I built a house in a little town in Georgia and we have talked about doing what you do. I am learning from you and your hospitality. We probably will not have a market for higher end stuff, but I thought about like a consignment shop where people could upgrade a used bike for another, as their kids grow. It won't make money but this is a post retirement job. I would love to be like you, surrounded by bike stuff all day.

Crankin
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know how you do it. People are so weird and CHEAP.
Your brother sounds amazing. Good luck!

moderncyclista
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Here is what a local bike shop has meant to me:

I had only owned cheap bikes that never functioned well and I didn't enjoy cycling much. I was 80 lbs. heavier - unhappy - and unsure what to do about it.

One day, a much skinnier friend said we should go look at the LBS for a "good" bike. I rode my first "quality" bicycle for the 1st time and was surprised to see that a "good" bike was only slightly more than a "cheap" one - and was much more durable and functional. I enjoy cycling now more than almost anything and am so grateful to all the LBS out there helping those who have lost hope, need joy, and desire better physical fitness. Don't despair.

Customers often need "education" as to why something is better. If you asked someone 20 years ago, would you pay $5.00 for a latte? or $15.00 for a lb. of coffee beans? they might have laughed. The Specialty Coffee Industry has educated many on why quality IS better. This is true of bicycles as well.

Maybe you could hold a free "bike education" class at the YMCA, or someplace - where you spoke about the importance of bike maintenance, care, and in general - a quality bicycle to start with. If I had known I wouldn't have wasted money on 3 cheap bikes in 5 years - I would have pony'd up for a quality bicycle and become obsessed a lot sooner. :D

Maybe you could set up a website (cheaply) or sell on eBay etc. to increase revenue. If you do, let us know on TE - I'm sure we could help.

You all matter to us. Local businesses are the heart and soul of their communities. I wish you good fortune in the year ahead and in all your endeavors.

Tri Girl
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I cried when I read that your brother stepped in to help you out. That's what family is there for- to help ease the burden when we cannot do it on our own. What love!
I'm so glad that you're sticking with it. I can't imagine how rough things are for small business owners and how hard you must be paddling just to stay afloat.
Sending you prayers and good vibes and all those wonderful things that you deserve!!! Hugs to you RM!!!

shootingstar
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Hang in there, RunningMommy. Great that your 'bro is helping out.

Must be tough to have a biz with physical inventory and large leased space. It's not as if we can ever ride virtual bikes.

Like some TE folks here, some of us either are already in one's own independent biz or a close family member runs one, so we feel for you.

One of my partner's company's biz principals, is a local bike store owner (a few), but he had to relocate a store within a different city to a more visible location with more shopping foot traffic. He is the 3rd person profiled on this page: http://thirdwavecycling.com/about.html (Amazes me how many fingers in the pie he has.)

As for me, I don't get paid for blogging work and don't expect it for a long while. Just hope people read our stuff below and provide feedback. I just love cycling and sharing info. :o

Continue to share the cycling love, RunningMommy.

Melalvai
01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
If you were in my area, I'd totally switch to your store.
And I LOVE my lbs.
Well, maybe I'd two-time you both. :cool:

blackhillsbiker
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Hang in there! Sometimes I waffle about getting a better price elsewhere but I always end up buying at the LBS. I'm glad it's there. Amazon and Nashbar don't fix my bike after a crash in time for me to ride home that same day. They don't let me test out a saddle, or lights. They don't let me bring home a bike I'm considering buying to test out for a longer ride, and to show my husband. They don't give advice, help me to learn basic fixes, put money, time and expertise into building up local cycling venues. We all need to be careful in this economy. Sometimes we lose sight of the biggest bang for our buck, which is keeping local businesses afloat, which keeps the jobs in our communities, gives us choices the "big boxes" don't care to offer, give us excellent service after the sale, get to know us and suggest what would be best for us, not necessarily most profitable for them. We are a nation in jeopardy of losing independent booksellers, cafés, coffee shops, bike shops, yarn shops... and all the wonderful richness they bring to our daily lives.

Deb

alimey
01-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Hi there

I live in the UK - but have also lived in the US. One thing that surprises me is that the culture of the LBS is still alive & well in the US - but much less so in the UK. My husband & I started a bike business from home about 3 years ago (The Bike Whisperer - fitting, repairing, advising, wheel building etc), and have found people really appreciate a trusting relationship with an LBS. I think the education thing is really true - whilst there are some people who will never believe that an $800 bike is really worth it vs a $200 bike, we have found that by honestly chatting to them we can often persuade them to buy a better quality bike.

I think a recession is actually a really good time to build up loyalty - we have seen plenty of people who have bought cheap on the internet & found it a false economy. I am sure the slow build business you have with plenty of word of mouth recommendation and satisfied customers will not only be much more rewarding for you, but will make really good long term business sense too. Best of luck!

Mr. Bloom
01-20-2010, 03:13 AM
(((((RM)))))

I wish I had words of advice or a solution...I'm pulling for you and your family!

It takes 4 to 5 yrs for most small businesses to hit critical mass...and it's tough until you cross that threshold.

crazycanuck
01-20-2010, 04:02 AM
RM..you're one cool woman & am always amazed at your perseverance.

((((RM, RH &RS)))))

OakLeaf
01-20-2010, 05:24 AM
(((((((RM))))))))

Good luck and hang in there. Thanks to your brother for helping out.

arielmoon
01-20-2010, 05:33 AM
(((RM)))

I am so glad you are able to stay open. Yay for your cool brother too!

eclectic
01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Running mommy You truly are a stellar example of what a true Ironwoman is.

With the economy the way it is and so many business and individuals struggling you certainly were sent your angel in the guise of your brother. Bless him for wanting to be part of it and help you through these times.

I didn't realize you were in the Phoenix area. I try to get down there at least once every year or two. I will have to stop in and look you up!

PM me the name of your shop and I will pass the info on to my good friend who lives there year round.

AnnieBikes
01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
My husband will be cycling through Phoenix on the Southern Tier in March. I would love to tell him the name and phone number of your shop. Will you PM me so we can look up the location. There are 8 in his group and I am sure that they will be needing something when they get to the city! Thanks. I wish you were my LBS!!

sundial
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Hang in there! Sometimes I waffle about getting a better price elsewhere but I always end up buying at the LBS. I'm glad it's there. Amazon and Nashbar don't fix my bike after a crash in time for me to ride home that same day. They don't let me test out a saddle, or lights. They don't let me bring home a bike I'm considering buying to test out for a longer ride, and to show my husband. They don't give advice, help me to learn basic fixes, put money, time and expertise into building up local cycling venues. We all need to be careful in this economy. Sometimes we lose sight of the biggest bang for our buck, which is keeping local businesses afloat, which keeps the jobs in our communities, gives us choices the "big boxes" don't care to offer, give us excellent service after the sale, get to know us and suggest what would be best for us, not necessarily most profitable for them. We are a nation in jeopardy of losing independent booksellers, cafés, coffee shops, bike shops, yarn shops... and all the wonderful richness they bring to our daily lives.

Deb

Amen, Deb, amen!

Zen
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
RM, you are the George Bailey of the LBS business. Just remember that ;)

Running Mommy
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks all. It really means a ton to me! I took a break from tax prep to check in, and you gave me warm fuzzies!
Here's another example of the good..
On Sunday a guy called, said he was training a gentleman who was in the 360 lb range. He asked if we had a good mtn bike that could handle the weight on the street now, and then be ready to go off road once he got some weight off.
Running hubby didn't hesitate, of course we did. The gentleman came in yesterday and purchased a very nice bike and all the accessories to go along with it. He called running hubby back that night to thank him and the staff for being so kind to him, and not treating him like a second class citizen. He appreciated that they looked at the man, not his weight and treated him with dignity. I guess other shops were trying to put him on basic comfort or hybrid bikes, or low end hard tails.
It's customers like him that keep us going. And truthfully 99% of our customers are great, but that 1% can really get to you.
Thanks again to all of my TE friends, and yes I am a blessed girl to have a brother like I do! He is a special guy!! (and ladies, he's single... hint hint... ha ha)

Zen
01-20-2010, 05:34 PM
He's how old? ;)

kermit
01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Photos...we need photos! Of your brother that is!

PamNY
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I hope all goes well for you. There really is nothing like a small, locally owned store, whether it's a bike store or not. I was so glad to find a bike shop where things "clicked" for me; I'm sure your customers feel the same way about you.

Pam

Running Mommy
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
regarding my bro...
If you go on facebook and search for me "Denise Schuldt Amos" you will see my profile pic. I am standing with my brother. He's 37 and one cool dude! A girl would be very lucky to have him in their life. :D

Ha! My brother would prolly KILL me if he knew I was trying to find him a girlfriend!! ha ha ha :p;):D

But he deserves all that is good in life.
The last person he dated died soon after they started dating. It was a sad story. She was in a horrible single car accident, and as a result of it they found she had a brain tumor. She died within a few days of the accident. Very sad time for him as they really hit it off, and he was so happy. :(
I think he kind of lost his dating mojo after that.

tprevost
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
regarding my bro...
If you go on facebook and search for me "Denise Schuldt Amos" you will see my profile pic. I am standing with my brother. He's 37 and one cool dude! A girl would be very lucky to have him in their life. :D

Ha! My brother would prolly KILL me if he knew I was trying to find him a girlfriend!! ha ha ha :p;):D

The last person he dated died soon after they started dating. It was a sad story. She was in a horrible single car accident, and as a result of it they found she had a brain tumor. She died within a few days of the accident. Very sad time for him as they really hit it off, and he was so happy. :(

that's too bad... he's really cute though! ;)

Wahine
01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
RM - I'm so glad that you're plugging ahead. Your shop really does seem special. I know I appreciated the support you gave me when I was there for IMAZ. Good luck and I'll be sure to stop by again the next time I'm in town.

colby
01-22-2010, 09:23 PM
regarding my bro...

He sounds like a great guy... not too bad looking, either. ;)

Glad to hear the Running Team is hanging in there. I can only imagine some days what it's like to be essentially married to your job. In sickness and in health ;)