PDA

View Full Version : Today's ride...

owlice
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
... was very short and split into three pieces -- around the block a few times to see if what I'd done to my gears had worked, around the office/store complex the bike shop is in to test out the new cassette, and then on the trail for a few miles as darkness fell. My feet still haven't warmed up, but I feel so so so SO much better, even though I got in so few miles. A few miles beats the biking pants off of no miles, that's for dang sure!!!

I swear I almost wept to have my bike made rideworthy so quickly; the idea of having to leave it at the bike shop again was very unappealing.

And now all is okay!!! (Though maybe I shouldn't have cleaned my bike this afternoon in the carpeted dining room, but live and learn, live and learn!)

chicagogal
01-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Sometimes it is worth having some frozen toes to be able to ride outside. It has been bitter cold in Chicago, and while I see some brave souls out on the road, I have been riding indoors.

Saturday was a computrainer session at the bike shop. We were doing some performance/power/LT testing. . . lots of short sprints and some longer 5min all-out efforts. It hurt, and was utterly exhausting. Including warm up, recovery intervals, and cool down, it was a killer 3hr ride. I came home, scarfed down some food, and passed out!

That being said riding indoors is much easier in a group setting like that, with fun people, than in the quiet of ones own living room. So for those of you who have the opportunity for this kind of "ride" I do recommend it.

Next week are doing a 40min threshold test. I am not looking forward to it . . . but doing it anyway :-)

Melalvai
01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
(Though maybe I shouldn't have cleaned my bike this afternoon in the carpeted dining room, but live and learn, live and learn!)
I thought I'd let my bike dry in the garage. I wasn't sure if the garage got above freezing. The answer is, no it doesn't. When I brought her inside, this is what she did to the dining room. At least it is not carpeted!
http://www.kemenel.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=703&g2_serialNumber=1

shootingstar
01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Around 8 degrees C. Did a 42 kms. ride which haven't done for almost a month. Always a joy to get back into this though with forecasted heavy rain next few days, maybe not this far.

Quiet day, a lull before the hordes descend soon. All around town are some temporary tents/structures and stages being set up for Olympics. Some bike routes rerouted. A niece is making a business trip late this week here from Toronto, so looks like we can't ride through Olympic athletes' village now. It's been closed off for security. Too bad.

Ritamarie
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Had a FUN ride today. A solo 26 miles at 24 degrees. Roads were icy in a few places but fine as long as I kept a sharp eye on the road ahead. I rode my Surly Girl since that seemed like the safer choice given the road conditions. I am making my peace with winter!!!

DebbieDowner
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
great sunny 47 degree day today in colorado. 44 miles including air force, garden of the gods, flying W and a few more hills. I am working my way to the 68 mile ride in April. so nice to be out in the fresh air.
:D

owlice
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Yikes, Melalvai!! I hope that comes off!!

My bike's in the kitchen, dropping little bits of snow onto the tile floor. Hadn't thought about the freezing thing; I was just too cold to take the time to put it in the shed when I got home!

I took a short ride today -- only 11 miles -- and enjoyed it. I think I have reached my limit for riding without a coat. It took over 2 miles of riding for me to feel I was not freezing cold, and each stop -- I had to stop THREE TIMES!!!!! to blow my nose -- very quickly made me not warm again. I'm still cold; obviously, I should go make myself a hot chocolate! :D

pfunk12
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I did a group ride this afternoon. The 8:30 shop ride didn't take place because it was too cold so a few of the shop riders got together at 1 p.m. when it was about 30 degrees with a wind chill of 21. There were about 10 of us. I did just over 28 miles. Good people...good ride. The temp is supposed to hit the 40s this week. It will feel like a heat wave! :D

azfiddle
01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I know most of the US is in the depths of cold, but it was not too bad for a ride today in the desert. Cool enough for 2 layers, but it warmed up to the low 60's by the end of a 27 mile jaunt from central Tucson to the San Xavier Mission and back, followed by an outdoor brunch with a nice group of folks.

marni
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I got out for a longish road ride today for the first time this year. The last ride was on old years day with my husband but since then it has been bitterly cold which is something we are definitely not used to in Houston. Today the temps started out at freezing but got up to the upper 40's, mid 50's by late afternoon. The ride was very cold if you stopped and stood but I was warm enough riding and most importantly the sun was out. Unfortunately, there was, as always, a strongish head wind at 15-20 mph for about 1/3 of the ride which made it less than pleasant some of the time but it was still excellent to be out and about and to get out of the gym for a change. The other thing the ride made quite obvious is that I and my legs are much happier and stay stronger if I can ride for real rather than work on a trainer or cross traning without riding.

marni