PDA

View Full Version : Gardening questions

Duck on Wheels
01-05-2010, 06:58 AM
I've been nurturing (well, torturing is more like it, but it's still alive) a white ginger plant in a pot on the windowsill ever since I got back from Hawaii 9 years ago. Supposedly it produces lovely, fragrant flowers. Supposedly. Mine just keeps producing more root mass and leaf stalks. Anybody know how to get the plant to flower?

OakLeaf
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't know anything about ginger... but in general, plants need lots of sun to flower, and many won't flower at all indoors. My next-door neighbor has ginger in an outdoor shady spot and it won't flower. Try moving it outdoors in summer - at least during the daytime, not sure how cold your summer nights get, but they probably don't tolerate frost.

tulip
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know much about Hawaiian Ginger. However, the native ginger of the eastern US is a shade plant. There are many shade plants that bloom in the shade, and that will not tolerate the sun (i.e., they will die). Perhaps looking up this particular plant will help most. You might need to address the soil, the container, the light, the moisture, or nutrients.

When you get it to bloom, please post a photo. It sounds lovely.

spokewench
01-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I suggest you google Hawaiian Ginger. Apparently, there is no ginger that is native to Hawaii, but only gingers that are non-native. I saw one blog where they were talking about trying to get it to bloom and someone had luck outside in California somewhere. Good luck in your search.

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
More light, more sun.

bmccasland
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
It is grown here (New Orleans) as a landscape plant - hot humid climate - and gets rather large. It is frost tender. So for an indoor plant, it would probably be happier somewhere warm and sunny (winters). Do people have solariums any more? In the summer move outside to the garden, but shaded.

My neighbor has some huge plants on the south and east sides of his house.