PDA

View Full Version : Girly bit troubles--shorts? saddle? both? neither?

Owlie
12-31-2009, 08:49 PM
I went on a ride longer than any I've done previously, and have been experiencing girly bit troubles that I can only describe as discomfort. No numbness, tingling, or outright pain, just...discomfort, like things had been moved around a bit in ways they didn't like. I finally ditched the underwear for that ride, and I definitely didn't have this problem with underwear for the 15 miles I did in October. I'm disinclined to believe it's the saddle, as I've had no trouble with it other than sit-bone pain, which I think can be put down to not riding regularly. It's either the friction from the chamois (my thought), or it's because I'm not riding enough (BF's (and his mom's) thought). Any input? I'm reluctant to use chamois cream because I have rather sensitive skin.

And while I'm here, because I've mentioned it above: I love my saddle as far as the girly bits are concerned, but once I get above mile 7, my butt starts protesting. Is this normal for someone who doesn't ride regularly and then does long (for them) distances when they do ride?

Thanks in advance!

Melalvai
01-01-2010, 04:39 AM
I don't think riding more will make you get used to it. I'd look at saddle position first. Maybe it got moved somehow and isn't at the right tilt. Or your posture or shape or something has changed slightly. A tiny change in saddle tilt can make a world of difference. Also saddle height and handlebar height.

I haven't used chamois cream, but I think the spots that would benefit from it are inner thighs and sitbones. In my experience, saddle tilt, and brooks saddle, have solved all my girly bit troubles.

softthings
01-01-2010, 04:52 AM
i think there is a break in period for your saddle. also, the more i ride, the more comfortable i get on the bike. my butt and lower back would kill me on the way back in from 30+ miles, now, not so much. with that being said, i have also tweaked my seat position a few times to get it just right, and when you move the seat, you have to play around with the handle bars a bit too. i still have the seat that came on my tarmac, and i am making due, i do want to invest in a women's specific saddle though. i've ridden in my boyfriends shorts and now have my own, i really can't tell a difference except that his seem to be a little baggier in the crotch area on me. i also like to use the chamois butter on my sits bones, inner thighs, and outer labia. (sorry if tmi.) hope that all helps. you just gotta try different things until you find what works.

alimey
01-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Do try chamois cream - try using a nappy cream - mild, but good for avoiding irritation. Also make sure the reach on your bike isn't too long - that always seems to produce girly bits problems over longer miles. Then finally consider a new saddle . . .

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Soreness is common when you don't ride regularly, and/or if you suddenly do a significantly longer ride than usual.
Every Spring I am plenty sore for the first few rides after a couple months of not riding at all in the dead of winter.

OakLeaf
01-01-2010, 07:07 AM
It's hard to know what you mean by "discomfort" that isn't numbness, tingling or pain. Is it pressure? Heat, like a hot spot that occurs before a blister or chafing? Pulling, like maybe you're just using the pelvic floor muscles more when you have the contact with the saddle prompting you? Does it feel like it's concentrated in a small spot, or diffuse across your perineum?