PDA

View Full Version : Overhaulin'

bluerider
08-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi there,

I've had my new road bike since April and have ridden over 900 miles on it. When do I need to take it into the LSB for an overhaul? Or to check to make sure everything is okay? I wash and lube my baby every weekend after a long ride so hope I'm doing the basic maintenance on it. What's the norm for taking it into the LSB for a full-on check-up?

Thanks!

runnergirl
08-10-2005, 07:35 PM
A full overhaul is only needed every 6000 miles or so, that said, there is a lot of other maintenance that can/should be done before you hit 6000.

Rotate tires (front to back, back to front) every 1000 miles or so, clean wheel rims with alcohol, buff brake pads with fine sandpaper, tri-flow hinges, etc.

Most LBSs like to do a "check-up" a month or two after purchase. Both LBSs here have free maintenance for life, (you pay for parts only), so if I'm at all worried I take it in. But I took a class so I can be less of a dumb blonde :p . If there's a class in your area I highly reccomend it!

Grog
08-11-2005, 05:52 AM
clean wheel rims with alcohol

Why? I'm a dumb blonde too. :) (Ok, more like auburn. But dumb on this subject nonetheless.)

SadieKate
08-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Anytime you have new brake/shift cables installed on a bike, you will need them readjusted after a couple hundred miles. The cables stretch. Your LBS probably told you to come back in 60-90 days for a small tune/check-up? This is what they'll mostly be looking for.

Also, it is not unusual for crank and chainring bolts to need some tightening on a new bike. Probably check the headset and other things that may just need a dab of attention since the bike is new and getting "broken in."

All this is not an overhaul but minor things that the shop will be looking at. Ask if you schedule it at a convenvient time if they'll show you what they're doing.

Grog - alcohol removes the oily finger prints and other grunge that inhibits nice grippy braking. After you change a flat tire, use the rag (that should be in your on-board tool bag :) ) to wipe down the rims.

Sadie "Loreal Brazilian Brown" Kate :p

CorsairMac
08-11-2005, 11:24 AM

ROFL Loreal Brazilian Brown??...is that a new name for a bike?? :p

Blue: I love your avatar - very nice hun. As for the maintainence - what they said. Actually my LBS told me to bring it about every 30 days or so for it's checkup.

SadieKate
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
ROFL Loreal Brazilian Brown??...is that a new name for a bike?? :p Well, there seemed to be this blonde thing going. Us fake brunettes can have fun too! :D

bluerider
08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Blue: I love your avatar - very nice hun. As for the maintainence - what they said. Actually my LBS told me to bring it about every 30 days or so for it's checkup.

Thanks Corsair. *taking a bow* Although can't take any credit for that. I would rob a bank for that bike... :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will take my baby in this weekend to make sure all is a-okay.

moo bean
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey hey, we're the same colour :D

bluerider
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Took my noble steed in this weekend and everything looks good. Cables needed serious tightening but otherwise all checks out! Happy bikes make happy riders. :D