PDA

View Full Version : Human Ice Cube

Selkie
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
This morning, it was in the 20s when I left the house at 5am to go swimming. I left a bit early, knowing that the neighborhood roads were still snow/ice/ice berg covered and the main roads, icy in spots.

Get on the pool deck and notice it's colder than usual, particularly when I sat down to put on my swim cap/goggles while waiting for the lifeguard to get in the chair. Feet in the water, very cold. Oh no.

So I swam an hour in cold water, in a cold aquatics center. I never warmed up, even though I was going as fast as possible. Breaststroke was torture---when your head was out of the water, it felt twice as cold. I had goosebumps during the entire swim.

I get out of the pool, wrap up in my towel, rush down the hallway to the locker room where someone tells me: NO HOT WATER in the showers! Egads, I quickly rinsed out my suit/cap/goggles, rinsed my hair (torture), dried off, and dressed. I was shivering so bad that I could barely work the clutch in my car. It took me about a good thirty minutes to warm up after I got to the office.

I've been at work all day, smelling of swimming pool!

Hopefully, things will be warmer tomorrow morning.

Blueberry
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow! You're stronger than I:) Here's hoping....

At least maybe it wasn't as crowded?

Tri Girl
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree you're tough. Our gym pool is "heated" but sometimes it's not as heated as others. When it's really cold I go swim laps in the therapy pool (MUCH warmer- almost too warm- but only 10 yards across). I'm a major cold water wimp.
Good for you!!!! Hope you're all toasty now! :)

katluvr
12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, I just think you are a bit crazy! :eek:
Then again, aren't we all a bit crazy to do what we do! Brrrrrrr major cold water/weather whimp here!

GLC1968
12-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I think that if I had known there was no hot water before I jumped in the pool, I would have opted out. Knowing that you didn't know that, I don't think you are QUITE as crazy as you sound. ;)

Good for you though - I hope that at least the heat worked in your car?

Susan Otcenas
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Our gym pool is "heated" but sometimes it's not as heated as others.

We had a cold snap here in Oregon 2 weeks ago, and the pool got noticeably cooler. Regardless of the temperature, though, the first dunk under when I get in is always the hardest. :o I have to just take deep breath and force myself.

Mickchick - way to persevere! Hope your office chair is under a nice cozy heater vent!

Zen
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
When it's cold at my gym I get dressed in the sauna :p

Selkie
12-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I readily admit to being a bit crazy and my stubborn Irish nature makes me determined to tough it out! Having missed a couple swims because of the snow, I wanted to get time in the pool this week, particularly since it's closed tomorrow.

It wasn't crowded, but I think that might have been the result of folks being away for the holiday or unwilling to come out on the still iffy/icy roads.

Usually, the water's not that bad and the showers have a good supply of hot water. I think the power might have gone out on Tuesday night or something. I have my fingers crossed that it's warm today because I'm on leave and planning a longer swim.

rocknrollgirl
12-24-2009, 03:08 AM
This happens at my pool all winter long, so I feel your pain. They put the plumbing on the outside wall of the building and the pipes freeze all winter. Viola...no hot water. It is awful.

Tri Girl
12-24-2009, 05:52 AM
They put the plumbing on the outside wall of the building and the pipes freeze all winter.

Wow- what a great decision. Makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

Selkie
12-24-2009, 07:02 AM
They did that in NEW JERSEY??!! They are used to cold winters there. Must have been the low bidder who won that plumbing contract, sheesh. You should invest in a wet suit or a rash guard top.

Turns out that there was a power outage from the snow storm on Monday but for some reason, the system erroneously "recycled" Tuesday night, shutting the power off in the building. This is a brand new facility, completed in July. I guess we were lucky that it was back on by 5:15, when the pool opened.

The good news: it was toasty warm on the deck and in the shower today. I took a steaming hot shower after my swim..... The pool water wasn't quite as warm as usual but it was bearable. I got in a 90 minute swim. :):):):)

rocknrollgirl
12-24-2009, 04:38 PM
They did that in NEW JERSEY??!! They are used to cold winters there. Must have been the low bidder who won that plumbing contract, sheesh. You should invest in a wet suit or a rash guard top.

Turns out that there was a power outage from the snow storm on Monday but for some reason, the system erroneously "recycled" Tuesday night, shutting the power off in the building. This is a brand new facility, completed in July. I guess we were lucky that it was back on by 5:15, when the pool opened.

The good news: it was toasty warm on the deck and in the shower today. I took a steaming hot shower after my swim..... The pool water wasn't quite as warm as usual but it was bearable. I got in a 90 minute swim. :):):):)

It is only one thing in a long list of things they screwed up when they built the pool. A very long list.