PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Pass, anyone?

yellow
08-08-2005, 08:18 PM
My friend speedy Steph and I are thinking about riding Monitor Pass this Friday August 12. Just to the top and back down the west side (NOT up & over & down & up & over again ala Death Ride...just up, take in the sights and down).

Anyone? The flowers should be real purty...

Pashn it, a motorsicle web page (http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/MonitorPass.htm) with nice photos (thanks for turning me on to this page, aka_Kim!)

Monitor is the first "bump" on the attached profile (which you can't read very well).

aka_kim
08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
I would love to do Monitor, but have to work on Friday. But I highly recommend this to anyone else (Ms. SadieKate?) who can get the time off. If I remember correctly, the pavement is good and the grade is never too steep. And it's purty!

Have fun!

SadieKate
08-08-2005, 08:36 PM
I thought the following Friday was your day off. Playing hooky? :p

yellow
08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
I now have every Friday off as I have reduced my schedule to 4-8s! I figure it'll be a good way to wean myself off of a salary. :eek:

Anyhoo, Steph has this Friday off and wants to ride, so I think we're going to do it. It'll put you over the big mark I'll bet (your total seems to be missing some feet there, missy)!

SadieKate
08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
If I remember correctly, the pavement is good and the grade is never too steep.
Just how "not too steep?"

Steph and Sue are Pville monsters. Just how long would I be riding by my little lonesome while they zoomed up the hill?

Hmmmmm . . . .

SadieKate
08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
And which is easier - Ebbetts or Monitor?

yellow
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
And which is easier - Ebbetts or Monitor?

I've not ridden Ebbetts, but if my memory serves me correctly I think it's tougher. And not as purty. Still purty, just not as...'course I love the high deserty stuff.

aka_kim
08-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I remember Ebbetts being harder, but then I was probably hallucinating at the time. Ebbetts is very scenic, and very narrow (think Morgan Territory).

I'm sure the Pville Monsters will cut anyone daring to ride with them some slack :). And, you guys can hit the hot springs when you're done! Oh, I'm so envious.

SadieKate
08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm going to bed. Just thinking about the altitude right is hurting. I looked at some elevation profiles also. Ow!

yellow
08-09-2005, 05:57 AM
And, you guys can hit the hot springs when you're done! Oh, I'm so envious.
And...and...the hot springs has a nice cold pool as well. It's like something out of a travel magazine: "Ride to the top of scenic Monitor Pass, where fields of Eriogonum cover the hillsides. After a brief rest in the aspen groves at the summit, enjoy a scenic and fast-paced downhill run. Finish your ride with a cold one at the Wolf Creek Tavern and then head out to Grover Hot Springs for a refreshing dip or hot soak. To book this trip, call..."

:D

SadieKate
08-09-2005, 07:45 AM
There is a guy over on bikeforums that does a lot (understatement of the year) of hill climbs and posts stats. I asked him what he thought of Ebbetts and Monitor.

I think Ebbetts is nicer than Monitor. It's more gradual, shaded, pretty, and there's a campground with water and toilets at Silver Creek. Monitor has virtually no shade, so the bottom portion of the climb is hot and dry.

For stats...
Ebbetts: 12.6 miles, 3000', 4.4%
Monitor (west): 8.2 miles, 2600', 5.8%
I like high desert also but will the bottom of Monitor be too hot? You've said it hasn't been cooling off up there. At least the stats for Monitor aren't god awful, just awful. :D

yellow
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I like high desert also but will the bottom of Monitor be too hot?

Not if you're on the bike at 0-dark-stupid, which may be required given realizations in Steph's schedule. And that's much higher elevation and subject to winds, so I'll bet it's been cooling off there at night.

I could do either. They are both proximate to the hot springs. :D

You have a couple more days to think about it.

yellow
08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
The sound of brakes hitting.

First gov't appraisal scheduled for Friday morning at 10 am. Next available time some time late following week. I took the Friday at 10 am.

So no Monitor. Perhaps Friday the 19th? Kim-could you do the 19th?

cindysue
08-09-2005, 04:27 PM
darn, I'll be in So.Cal. that day - visiting family. Have fun!

aka_kim
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I won't know until next week if I can get the 19th off, but if I can either Ebbetts or Monitor would be fine by me.

Here's a nice picture (http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/2005-05-21-markleeville-ebbetts-monitor/pictures/the%20(un)welcoming%20sig%23e46a.html) of Ebbetts :eek:.

Adventure Girl
08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Here's a nice picture (http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/2005-05-21-markleeville-ebbetts-monitor/pictures/the%20(un)welcoming%20sig%23e46a.html) of Ebbetts :eek:.24%! Colline de fromage! :eek:

SadieKate
08-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Please tell me that is the back side of Ebbetts.

Kim, what do you think of mtbiking the Commerative Emigrant Trail outside of Truckee instead? Wait, I can hear you now . . . :rolleyes:

aka_kim
08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Ah, "perfect for beginners" I see. I really won't know until next week if I can get Friday off, but this trail does sound like fun. I'll save my whining for other ears.

I don't know if Ebbetts really has any 24% grades. I remember it having some steep corners, and being very steep at the top, but I don't recall it being Mt. Diablo steep. I do recall seeing a cyclist lying along the road, unconscious, because he'd apparently hit the granite wall along the side of the road. He was airlifted out. Ebbetts is a surreal kind of place. Some people are just gluttons for punishment.

SadieKate
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Ah, "perfect for beginners" I see. . . . but this trail does sound like fun. A little googling, huh? Or Yellow sending info. A day in the dirt would be fun.