PDA

View Full Version : Camels, Camels & more Camels......oh my...

crazycanuck
12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Oh dear :eek: . I certainly wouldn't want 6000 in my back yard! The area in question isn't wealthy & 500km from Alice Springs...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/marauding-camels-terrorise-desert-town/story-e6frg6nf-1225803919248

Camels are the only animals that can damage road trains :eek:

bmccasland
12-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Having lived in south Louisiana for a while...

the Cajun response would be, Need a recipe? :p

Biciclista
12-02-2009, 06:54 AM
no photos?

alexis_the_tiny
06-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Having lived in south Louisiana for a while...

the Cajun response would be, Need a recipe? :p

I'd say stir fried with loads of garlic and dried chilies would be a good start. :D

oxysback
06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
no photos?

That's what I thought!

Catrin
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
One suspects they would taste more like goat than chicken...so a nice hearty simmering with veggies, garlic - and hot spices would probably do the trick!

kjay
06-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Sick! The camel is the most regal and beautiful of all animals. If there's such a hunger problem in parts of the world, why not use their meat for the hungry? The dead animals will be left to rot in the desert. Camels were introduced to Australia to help with trade, transportation, and mining, and this is what they get. Sick! Australia is off my list of places to go, for sure!

Zen
06-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Australia is an unusual place for sure.
Isn't it the only place with native monotremes?

crazycanuck
06-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Hey Kj, have you bothered even trying to look up what the Northern Territory government is doing to tackle it at the moment??

YOu dont' want to travel here, fine, but look at horrifying things to deal with within your own country first. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to slander other countries but forget what our own nation's doing.

Just leeting you know that an Ian's ex workmate's rather rich husband's company is trying to get them imported into Saudi & other middle eastern countries. Perhaps you may want to look into that.....

gnat23
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I've had it. Really good, actually. And yes, tastes a bit like goat, but man does it need a long time to slowcook to make tender.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4662001739_3256fe3180_z.jpg

-- gnat!

MommyBird
06-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Do they eat Kudzu?
Do you think two artificially introduced non-native species will make a right?
I didn't think so either.
But you can't blame a southern dweller for hoping for a remedy to the scourge of Kudzu!

kjay
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Kj, have you bothered even trying to look up what the Northern Territory government is doing to tackle it at the moment??

YOu dont' want to travel here, fine, but look at horrifying things to deal with within your own country first. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to slander other countries but forget what our own nation's doing.

Just leeting you know that an Ian's ex workmate's rather rich husband's company is trying to get them imported into Saudi & other middle eastern countries. Perhaps you may want to look into that.....

Hey, Canuck — yes to your answers. There's little info available that's positive about this situation, but I did read about Saudi's thinking of taking some; I read that on a Saudi site. If you have some specifics to report, please do or provide a link for me.

One man's dog is another's camel — so to speak. My emotions get carried away because of my fierce passion for camels. Thanks for the info.

Zen
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I love food photos almost as much as mixte photos