PDA

View Full Version : First Race Report! :D Berry Farm Road Race

runnergirl
08-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I did it!!! First race ever... 42 rolling miles (3 14 mile loops) at the Berry Farm Road Race in Ashland, VA. I didn't crash, didn't knock anyone over, and finished in the pack with a 21mph avg on my computer.

I drove up alone, but found a guy I recognized from a group ride, and asked him a few questions, he helped me find the start and introduced me around some. I paid my money and pinned on my number according to the instructions. The start was from the gravel parking lot, and the race marshall gave all kinds of instructions I didn't understand. They combined all the womens fields--that worried me a little.

The first lap I hung on the back...I was too scared to get in the thick of the pack, even though it was only 26 or 27 riders. There were some nice hills, but no real climbs-I was worried about getting dropped on a hill, but apparently when compared to other women (rather than the guys I ride with) I'm not that bad at hills! :D

The second lap I started getting in the pack more, bumped elbows a couple times, stayed tight in the corners, got a little more comfy. When I came around the start/finish there was lots of cheering, and I heard "GO Sharon!!!"--the LBS guys had raced earlier were cheering me on! :)

The third lap was waaay faster than the first two. There was a crash about 2 miles from the finish, but it was only 2 girls. We had another scare 200 meters from the line, but due to some VERY good bike handling by one woman disaster was narrowly averted. The sprint was a little crazy, all of us crossed the line within 4 seconds or so. The guys said I was 4th or 5th from the back, so no great accomplishment, but I was happy just not to be last.

According to the guys, most crits are slower and safer, but as this was my first race I have no comparison. It was SOOOOO fun!:D I'm so glad I went for it, now I'm looking forward to February! :D

SadieKate
08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Good job! Circuit races are kind of cool in that they combine the true road race with the lap of a crit. Makes for some real mix-up racing playing to all kinds of strengths.

BikeMomma
08-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Way to go, runnergirl!!! I'm so glad you had so much fun!!! Your enthusiasm is contagious....I'm sooooo looking forward to the spring when I'm going to take up racing again (after waaay too long...about 12/13 years). :p

I'd say you played it wisely to sit back and watch for a lap (so what, you were timid....everyone is their first time!), and good for you for figuring it out and getting in there for some good old "elbow-to-elbow". :D

Any more racing this year?? Let us know of your adventures!
- BikeMomma

RoadRaven
08-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Well done runner girl... great first result for first race

Looking forward to reading more of your acheivements
:D

KSH
08-17-2005, 09:15 AM
WOW! Sounds like you did a really good job!

I think you need to change your name to "Biker Girl". :D

CorsairMac
08-17-2005, 01:28 PM
goodonya RG - sounds like you had a blast!!

and the Fans go Wild!!!