PDA

View Full Version : Dolfin Swimsuit Review

Selkie
11-07-2009, 06:48 AM
First and foremost, thanks to Jen and Pax for giving me their opinions about Dolfin suits. I ordered one and it arrived in time for me to wear for my Saturday marathon swim! Since I'm in the water for over an hour on Saturdays, I save my favorite suits for Saturdays (motivation, makes me feel good, etc.).

The first thing I noticed when I put on the suit was that it fits like a glove. In a good way. Extremely supportive and it seems to be shorter in the torso than Speedo suits in the same size (this is good--I'm petite, small chested with muscular (ok, big, LOL) glutes, so getting a good fit is tough). It felt very secure and everything stayed in place (no riding up in the back).

Have to admit, I was a little worried about quality because of the price. I was pleasantly surprised to find the fabric durable, the colors bright/vivid, and the suit well made. I loved that it is fully lined too (TYR and Speedo polyester suits are lined only in the front). The style was nice, too. Not cut too high on the leg or low in the back or chest.

Probably because it fit so well, I felt very sleek in the water. It was comfortable but again, supportive. I felt so good that I swam 90 minutes and was loathe to get out of the water (my shoulders were fried, so I knew it was time!!!).

I went ahead and got a couple more of them (including an Ugly, Jen!!! It was on sale at swimoutlet---couldn't resist).

Veronica
11-07-2009, 07:25 AM
It's too bad you don't get paid to be a reviewer. :D I enjoy reading your reviews even if it's not something I plan to get.

Veronica

GLC1968
11-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Heh - If only I had read this review a few days ago!

I also ordered a Dolphin suit. I've been searching for a suit because I've committed to Susan O that I'll do my first tri next spring. :eek: Anyway, I have a long torso but I haven't been able to find good long torso options. I ordered the one speedo option, but the legs were cut too low and they were very uncomfortable for me (I need a high cut leg for my huge quads - yeah, that's my excuse! ;)). Anyway, I'd also ordered a Dolphin and it was definitely too short. It was flattering, comfortable and well fit in the chest/top, but the rear and crotch were definitely riding up. I just ordered it again in a larger size, so we'll see if that works. I'm afraid that the larger one will be too big on top.

I agree that it was a nice quality suit though. Because of the price, I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for sharing the reveiw!

Any suggestions for someone who is bottom heavy with a long torso?

Pax
11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Any suggestions for someone who is bottom heavy with a long torso?

Speedo makes a fitness suit (http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={b1e45702-a083-4b07-992a-c77715242aba}&gid={7051dcaf-33e9-4833-916b-1f38f5f6d4f6}&GroupName=Speedo+Fitness+Suits&pname=Speedo+Moderate+Long+Ultraback&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&) in long.

GLC1968
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Speedo makes a fitness suit (http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={b1e45702-a083-4b07-992a-c77715242aba}&gid={7051dcaf-33e9-4833-916b-1f38f5f6d4f6}&GroupName=Speedo+Fitness+Suits&pname=Speedo+Moderate+Long+Ultraback&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&) in long.

Thanks Pax - I actually tried that one. It was too big on top (slightly), but the leg openings were cut too low for me and they constricted. I think I could have gone up a size for the legs, but then the top part would have been huge. The length was good though!

Selkie
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I wonder if the TYRs would work for you. I like the Diamondback style. If you check swimoutlet.com, there are reviews that might help with sizing/fit. I noticed TYR's Diamax back seem to be cut a smidge higher on the leg (they come only in nylon, I think).

I'm surprised the Speedos don't work. I find them long in the torso. I have a couple of the flyback style and they seem cut decently high in the leg (not too high, though).

Are you looking at the competition style suits? The other styles (i.e., "fitness") are cut more modestly (lower on the leg, more back coverage, etc.).

V--thanks for the kind words!! Maybe Susan will give me that Sheila Moon tweed jacket in payment for an entertaining review? :D :D:D

OakLeaf
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Mick, it sounds like you're built pretty similar to me. I need a new swimsuit anyway - may just have to order one of these. Thanks for the review!

Selkie
11-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Be advised that I received my Uglie yesterday and tried it on. It fits nice & snug but probably because it's not 100% polyester, it isn't as sleek fitting. In addition, the fabric isn't as dense or durable-feeling as the slightly more expensive Dolfin Mexicali printsuit I wore on Saturday. Also the straps are thinner. It's a different back (V back? I think) than my Mexicali suit (DMX back). The latter is much more supportive on top. Being small chested and petite makes one prone to gaping at the top, particularly while doing breast stroke. This results in unwelcome "drag" as the water flows into the suit. That's why I like 'em secure & tighter at the top. The speedos are the worst offenders in this area (they seem sized for bigger busted/small hipped gals). I'll stick with TYR and Dolfin for that reason.

I plan to wear the Uglie later this week (I'll be burning "use or leave" leave after Vet's Day, so I'll have longer to swim). I don't think there will be an issue with gaping at the top, though. Feels more like my TYR suits, which are fine in that regard.

I really like the Uglie print I selected. I saw some of the glitter print suits at the store yesterday---didn't appeal to me. A little too disco.

Pax
11-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks Pax - I actually tried that one. It was too big on top (slightly), but the leg openings were cut too low for me and they constricted. I think I could have gone up a size for the legs, but then the top part would have been huge. The length was good though!
Take a look around the Speedo site, they (used to?) offer three different leg openings on the fitness suit...conservative, moderate, and some else like contemporary (read - cut up to your armpits :p ).