PDA

View Full Version : Redilocks and the three bears - Sat 8/6 9:30am

cindysue
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey ladies,

Next to Mt. Diablo, the three bears is one of my favorite rides in the east bay. Lots of other cyclists, not much traffic, fast descents.

So, Sleep in, then join me through the Berkeley hills, tilden park, orinda, and martinez.

Meet at Rockridge BART top of escalator. Route: College, Old Tunnel Road, Grizzly Peak, Wildcat Canyon, Camino San Pablo, Castro Ranch, Bear Creek Road, Wildcat Canyon, Grizzly Peak, Claremont, College.

about 35ish miles

P.S. If you've never, been - Berkeley has some of the best lunch spots in the bay area

slinkedog
08-02-2005, 07:16 PM
How hard is this ride? I know it's lots o' climbing, but is it doable for the average Joe like me?

cindysue
08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Ha! Don't sell yourself short. You are definitely not average! The ride is doable - but I am trying to put in the context of the hill we rode up in Marin. I don't think it's much steeper than that hill - but it is quite a bit longer!

I'd say it's probably going to be about 4000 feet of climbing, as is. Of course, we can cut the distance and the climbing in 1/2 by starting and stopping at Orinda BART.

If you want to come, I can change the route. Might be better for everyone, now that I think of it - closer for the TE gals too!

Bike Goddess
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey Cindy Sue- Does this mean you have a NEW bike?????

P.S. Go as early as you can. It's pretty hot up there. I did the Bears last Sunday 3 + 2 (backwards) and it was toasty! Also I highly reccommend that you stop at the Briones park entryway on Bear Creek road just before you go up the long Bear (coming from Castro Ranch Road). We stop there for more water, a quick break, and also bathroom break. I trust you know where it is (left side of road). When you pass the little house make a quick left turn and you'll see the outhouses. Down the trail to the right about 30 feet is a drinking fountain.

Have fun, I'll be in Marin riding in the heat as well!

cindysue
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Nancy,

I'd love to start early BUT the lunachix like their beauty sleep - I can't get them out on the road any earlier than 9:30. What I might do in the future is hold two rides - a "warm up" ride early in the morning followed by another luna ride mid morning.

YEP - I pick up "....." thurs afternoon - still thinking of a name for her......

Saturday will be her inaugural ride!!!!

cindysue
08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Have fun, I'll be in Marin riding in the heat as well!

anybody else going with you? My friend Imelda is doing that ride.

slinkedog
08-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Can't wait to see your new ride, Cindy! I'm very, very jealous! :)

I just heard on the news that it's supposed to be about 100 on Saturday. I think I'm going to go for a really early morning ride around here instead. Plus, Blaine wants to take me out for our wedding anniversary on Saturday, so I suppose I should stay close to home.

I hope you guys have a great time!

cindysue
08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Blaine wants to take me out for our wedding anniversary on Saturday,

Congratulations Shannon! How many years?

slinkedog
08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
It will be 8 years on August 9th. But we'll celebrate on the weekend since it falls on a Tuesday this year. I'm hoping we'll get to do a ride and go out for a nice dinner. We'll see!

Bike Goddess
08-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey Cindy Sue- Is Imelda doing the century? Should I call her? If yes, I'll need her number!

CONGRATS ON NEW BIKE- AS OF TODAY!!!! :D :D :D :D

Now we need PICTURES!!!!

cindysue
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
just picked her up. She's a beauty. Will post more soon. I'll give Imelda a call!

slinkedog
08-06-2005, 12:51 PM
So, looking forward to a ride report and report on the new bike, CindySue!!

cindysue
08-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey shannon,

I posted a little something about her on the main board.....